Football 2023/24

charlierc

10 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I still think the lads did great, it was such a difficult season. We pushed that group of death all the way which ended up with semi finalist and finalist of the champions league. The days lost through injury has been truly ridiculous and add on our star signing being banned all season. Depending on what happens in summer though, now is time for us to truly push on if the ownership are serious about their ambitions.

I genuinely found this season pretty exhausting. Maybe it's the injuries, the dropped points, the fact we scored more goals than last season but also conceded significantly more or the "so near but so far" element, but it just all seemed a bit bananas. 

Guess we'll see. Will be an interesting summer, but I think the springboard is there.

9 hours ago, thetime said:

You won one game, finished bottom and 3 points behind 2nd from bottom. 

I mean, Man United finished bottom of an easier group, also with one win but with one fewer point than Newcastle, and we still have a case that we might well have gone through had the referee not f**ked up that injury time handball call in Paris. But it is what it is - ran out of players in both Dortmund games and in losing to Milan, and ultimately those were the kickers.

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

I mean, Man United finished bottom of an easier group, also with one win but with one fewer point than Newcastle, and we still have a case that we might well have gone through had the referee not f**ked up that injury time handball call in Paris. But it is what it is - ran out of players in both Dortmund games and in losing to Milan, and ultimately those were the kickers.

United were shite, no utd fan would say otherwise. We certainly would not suggest pushing teams all the way finishing bottom, trailing by 3 points. 

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I’m personally disappointed Leeds didn’t go up, I went to university there and like the city. I personally think they would have added more to the premiership than Southampton.

I work right near the ground. Usually wouldn't want them to do well but when they were in the Prem we got quite a lot of community out reach from the club into our school. Haven't had any since they went down.

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I’m personally disappointed Leeds didn’t go up, I went to university there and like the city. I personally think they would have added more to the premiership than Southampton.

Based on today's game and the lack of shots from Leeds, soton Will add more to the prem.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, thetime said:

United were shite, no utd fan would say otherwise. We certainly would not suggest pushing teams all the way finishing bottom, trailing by 3 points. 

I mean, we drew with Milan in San Siro and did lead at half-time against them only to run out of players and get picked off chasing a win at 1-1, we were an incorrectly awarded injury time penalty away from beating PSG in Paris to go with the win at home against that lot, and missed a lot of chances in the second half against Dortmund. So weren't that far away.

But it's semantics. I'm aware we'd have more conviction in this argument if we have at least come P3 and dropped into the Europa League.

Edited by charlierc

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Southampton winning is probably the only thing that celebrity Saints fan Rishi Sunak has seen go right for him in the last few days. Though I do find it amusing that the current Saints Head Coach Russell Martin is a vegan who used to be (might still be) a member of the Green Party.

45 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Southampton winning is probably the only thing that celebrity Saints fan Rishi Sunak has seen go right for him in the last few days. Though I do find it amusing that the current Saints Head Coach Russell Martin is a vegan who used to be (might still be) a member of the Green Party.

Martin seems to be a complete idealist  in terms of style so I think the lack of pragmatism may be found out in the premiership. Interesting only 5 northern teams left which apparently lowest in the premiership era.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

I mean, we drew with Milan in San Siro and did lead at half-time against them only to run out of players and get picked off chasing a win at 1-1, we were an incorrectly awarded injury time penalty away from beating PSG in Paris to go with the win at home against that lot, and missed a lot of chances in the second half against Dortmund. So weren't that far away.

But it's semantics. I'm aware we'd have more conviction in this argument if we have at least come P3 and dropped into the Europa League.

The home win being a 4-1 smashing.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Martin seems to be a complete idealist  in terms of style so I think the lack of pragmatism may be found out in the premiership. Interesting only 5 northern teams left which apparently lowest in the premiership era.

Vincent Kompany had this, where he was insistent on playing a certain way only to get the recruitment wrong and for Burnley to be pretty limp in the PL. Southampton are going to have to do some work if they're to avoid that. I'm aware of Russell Martin's stylistic way - when he was at MK Dons a few years ago, he was taking pride in goals produced by 50+ pass moves and was talking up the Pep inspiration.

Either that or Martin might end up being poached by a European giant if the bizarre story of Kompany going from Burnley to Bayern is anything to go by. Seems like the lower PL/upper Champ is becoming fertile ground, given Chelsea are now apparently speaking to the man who guided Leicester to the title and Ipswich's boss has been touted for 3/4 PL jobs.

Edited by charlierc

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

its grim ooop norf. 😛 

25 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Either that or Martin might end up being poached by a European giant if the bizarre story of Kompany going from Burnley to Bayern is anything to go by. Seems like the lower PL/upper Champ is becoming fertile ground, given Chelsea are now apparently speaking to the man who guided Leicester to the title and Ipswich's boss has been touted for 3/4 PL jobs.

When you look at it there isn't much around. The top managers are in position, or the super coaches like jose are very much past it. 

There doesn't seem to be a lot in the middle, only the bright young managers worth a gamble. It's perhaps why ten Hag might keep his job, unless another chance for pochettino. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, thetime said:

When you look at it there isn't much around. The top managers are in position, or the super coaches like jose are very much past it. 

There doesn't seem to be a lot in the middle, only the bright young managers worth a gamble. It's perhaps why ten Hag might keep his job, unless another chance for pochettino. 

I know Bayern are in a strange position given we're talking an elite club in the European game being turned down by their first 7/8 choices, so they were kind of scrabbling around looking for the next option on the back of their worst season in over a decade. But taking a chance on somebody who only retired five years ago and who just got relegated with a team that finished 8 points adrift in the Premier League (and would've been more had Forest not had 4 points deducted) is bizarre.

I thought Poch to Man Utd was likely, or maybe Thomas Tuchel, but the rumour mill is suggesting that if Man Utd decide ten Hag didn't do enough to get an encore, he might not be the first choice.

Edited by charlierc

53 minutes ago, thetime said:

why ten Hag might keep his job, unless another chance for pochettino. 

lack of imagination.

18 hours ago, charlierc said:

I know Bayern are in a strange position given we're talking an elite club in the European game being turned down by their first 7/8 choices, so they were kind of scrabbling around looking for the next option on the back of their worst season in over a decade. But taking a chance on somebody who only retired five years ago and who just got relegated with a team that finished 8 points adrift in the Premier League (and would've been more had Forest not had 4 points deducted) is bizarre.

I thought Poch to Man Utd was likely, or maybe Thomas Tuchel, but the rumour mill is suggesting that if Man Utd decide ten Hag didn't do enough to get an encore, he might not be the first choice.

Is Kompany to Bayern Munich more strange than Maresca to Chelsea or (potentially) McKenna to Man Utd? I don’t think there is much choice at present in terms of proven winners in the top leagues, teams are probably having to think differently.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Is Kompany to Bayern Munich more strange than Maresca to Chelsea or (potentially) McKenna to Man Utd? I don’t think there is much choice at present in terms of proven winners in the top leagues, teams are probably having to think differently.

I suppose chelsea and utd are not expected to win there league currently. Bayern are very much expected to win it every year. United and Chelsea would be more about making progress to challenge over the next 1-3 seasons. 

On 5/28/2024 at 5:49 PM, pink_triangle said:

McKenna has signed a new Ipswich contract, so he won't be moving to Manchester if indeed they decide to tell ten Hag to go away. Kompany to Bayern is definitely out there. To me, it feels like a panic move after they were turned down by their first seven choices.

Mourinho to Fenerbahçe is today's big rumour. Because throwing him into Turkish football's tinderbox where that lot have, even by their standards, had a really wild fallout this season, bodes for a quiet night in.

25 minutes ago, charlierc said:

McKenna has signed a new Ipswich contract, so he won't be moving to Manchester if indeed they decide to tell ten Hag to go away. Kompany to Bayern is definitely out there. To me, it feels like a panic move after they were turned down by their first seven choices.

Mourinho to Fenerbahçe is today's big rumour. Because throwing him into Turkish football's tinderbox where that lot have, even by their standards, had a really wild fallout this season, bodes for a quiet night in.

The likes of Klopp and Wenger have been relegated in the past and had decent careers. Also ex players have got these kinds of jobs in the past with no managerial experience.

39 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Also ex players have got these kinds of jobs in the past with no managerial experience.

Usually when they have strong links with the clubs though. His league campaigns were not out of this world 3rd and 4th with anderlecht.

You don't usually get the Bayern job with just a championship promotion. 

It is an odd appointment, although refreshing. 

17 minutes ago, thetime said:

Usually when they have strong links with the clubs though. His league campaigns were not out of this world 3rd and 4th with anderlecht.

You don't usually get the Bayern job with just a championship promotion. 

It is an odd appointment, although refreshing. 

I would argue a promotion with Burnley makes you more qualified than an ex player with strong links with little/no managerial experience at the top level. 

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would argue a promotion with Burnley makes you more qualified than an ex player with strong links with little/no managerial experience at the top level. 

Of course yeah, but they don't usually get the top gigs in world football. 

Bayern might of identified the next great coach. Be interesting anyway.