Wychwood 2023

vjr

Hi 

Thinking of getting tickets for June, would anyone recommend this festival ? is there a lot going on?  Would be taking my Daughter on my own and did see if a review that you can drive your tent etc to the camping field off load and park up. Is this correct? 

Thanks 

i haven't been for a few years, but i don't think its changed much, should be good with your daughter, and if you get there early enough (friday, lunchtime-ish) you can join the queue of cars which will drive down to the campsite - but park up and get wrist banded (at the racecourse entrance), etc, first.

i recommend it as a nice and easy festival, which always has good quality bands.

My first festival of the season and a good shake down to test all my festival kit.  Friendly, laid back, decent toilets and a lot of hard standing to watch the bands should it be soggy underfoot.  There are a lot of non-music activities for kids.  How old is your daughter?

👋👋👋 I've booked 😁

Was kind of planning a year off festivalling but I accidentally bought tickets for this & Camper Calling, both local.

Got to say I'm loving the smaller festivals, have seen majority of this years lineup at different places over the years but live music, in a field, weekend in my campervan, what's not to like😉

• 2 weeks later...

In the past I've stayed the night before at the CC Campsite to charge my electric hook up leisure battery and fill with water.  You get a good view over the Wychwood Festival site but it's about a mile walk round to get in to the festival.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly too many festivals have gone by the wayside and I don't want to hasten the demise of another.  I'm sure the organisers will be reflecting on this year's new layout, stalls, bands, activities beyond just the music and maybe we'll get a revamp next year. I'm cancelling my Ticket for Life subscription but I'll wait until the lineup is announced before making a final decision on whether to go again.

I enjoyed it although a lot of the music was not to my taste but enjoyed Travis & The Proclaimers a lot. I am a big fan of Sleeper, Ash & Mondays but thought they all sounded a little flat but enjoyed them because I like them rather then, I felt they all put on a good show. Sam Ryder was ok but seemed an underwhelming headliner to close with. I was very surprised when he was announced.

It was my first year and it seemed to me that the likes of Sleeper, Ash are not really the sort of acts that go down well with a Wychwood crowd. 

If there is more to my liking on the lineup next year, I might go again as I like the timing of it but far to many acts that I was not really interested in. It might be the first festival that I have been to and not discovered any new acts. Well not 100% true as caught a few songs by The Howlers that I thought were ok. I heard a Royal Blood cover and wondered over to see them. (I know the mention of RB generally does not go down well hear, but I rather like them). 

A few people did comment to me about the layout not being as good or moaning about the distance to the car park but as a newbe cant really comment. A few people did say it was the biggest festival so far but again, I have nothing to compare it with.

My initial thoughts are they could do better but the ticket was fairly cheap. It sort of feels like all the music budget gets spent on the headliners and subs. It must be hard to decide on who to get for a festival like this as a lot of the crowd are fairly old. So do you go for old acts you think they will like or very new acts who may well be cheaper but may not impress your old timers. Travis day seemed very busy and I guess they are a decent pull. Things had thinned out a lot by the time Sam came on Sunday night. I think you really need to like the top 6 acts as the undercard is not all that.

I did like the fact you could bring a chair without contacting the Access Team. Although, I did email them in advance just incase. Need not have bothered as everyone and his dog had them 🙂

I was driving each day and so have no idea about the beer quality or price. Why torcher yourself by looking when you cant drink.