How much would it be to buy a tent once there ?

Amelia d

You should carry it away with you so may as well carry it on.

Besides, what do you do if the camping shop has not opened, or you can’t find it or it has horrendous queues when you get there, and all the good spots fill up around you? 

As a side note, the tents they were selling looked dreadful… I wouldn’t trust them to keep me dry if it drizzled, never mind threw it down.

• Like 1

Just now, moogster said:

Yes I was surprised too. But maybe to cater to people whose tent decides to give up in the middle of the fest or something.

Yea I had that thought after I posted.

Maybe require people to present a broken tent before being allowed to buy a replacement?

I turned up this year to find my tent was missing some of its poles, making it utterly useless. We were stood on our pitch effectively homeless in the 35 degree heat - fun! Thank God for the camping shop. Yes, they gouged me (£150 for 2 2-man tents) but the tents were brand new and worked fine. We'd have been so screwed without them!

And yes, I have learned my lesson about checking my tent before heading off next year 😄

There are three reasons I can think as reasonable, 2 are above:

1. Tent breaks when putting it up. A while ago at another festival witnessed a couple arguing as they tried to put their tent up (always fun to sit back with a beer and watch people put their tents up - i have been known to help when needed), they managed to break it and he had to go and buy a new one!

2. Get there and there is an issue with the tent on putting it up, lack of poles, rip in it etc (the pole on y family camping one has started to split so I know it happens)

3. Flying in from abroad and need to keep it light. Not been to Glastonbury for a few years but at some festivals there are places to leave complete tents for charity.

• 2 weeks later...