Tramlines 2023 and Hillsborough Gigs

stanh

30 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I love it.  Imagine lots won't.

My favourite current band Red Rum Club are there plus lots of established older acts I have listened to and seen. 

Does have the feel of a Shine On weekender though and not good for the under 25s.  But as my mate said let them go to Leeds and watch sh@te and burn their tents 🤣

Works for me, for the price. A bit blokey in places, but plenty more to see. Very pleased to see Omid Djalili on the comedy stage.

46 minutes ago, swede said:

Do we reckon from pale waves upwards is main stage for the Friday ? If so that’s a decent run !! Can’t wait to see Bloc Party 

Will need a smaller band to open. The Enemy will take the Sheds early slot at 1.45pm.

Would expect DMA's and Bloc Party will be main stage, but Circa Waves could be on the T'Other stage in 2023 perhaps.

image.png.61bb38394701f5d8f07a41cb22d0f31b.png

8 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Is it possible Bloc Party headline T'other stage ??

Or are T'other stage Headliners still to be announced ?

I'd be happy with that. I've never been blown away by Ashcroft as a performer, even though he has some strong back catalogue

5 hours ago, swede said:

Do we reckon from pale waves upwards is main stage for the Friday ? If so that’s a decent run !! Can’t wait to see Bloc Party 

Sea Girls have self confirmed as main stage. But I reckon Bloc Party headline T'other stage and I could see Pale Waves on the leadmill stage (or whatever it's called now)  

15 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Paid £110 each for mine and happy with that overall. The festival experience has value to me as well. Nice to go to a festival just down the road and not have to stress about travel/hotel. 

£110 is a bargain for a 3 day Festival. 

Some of the comments on Twitter last night were frankly embarrassing.  Moaning that they had paid £100 for a shocking line up.  Was better when it was £39 a ticket !!

Do people not realise how much it must cost to put on an event like this ?  What with Bands, Comedians, Security, Stage / Tent hiring, Fencing, Park Hire, Portaloos etc. etc.   Pulp are charging £90 for turning up and plugging their stuff in at Sheffield Arena. 

Effectively when Tramlines moved to Hillsborough Park it was a 2 day even with an extra couple of acts Friday night.  We now have a full 3 day event with multiple stages and established acts.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

£110 is a bargain for a 3 day Festival. 

Some of the comments on Twitter last night were frankly embarrassing.  Moaning that they had paid £100 for a shocking line up.  Was better when it was £39 a ticket !!

Do people not realise how much it must cost to put on an event like this ?  What with Bands, Comedians, Security, Stage / Tent hiring, Fencing, Park Hire, Portaloos etc. etc.   Pulp are charging £90 for turning up and plugging their stuff in at Sheffield Arena. 

Effectively when Tramlines moved to Hillsborough Park it was a 2 day even with an extra couple of acts Friday night.  We now have a full 3 day event with multiple stages and established acts.  

100% agree here. If there was 3 bands you want to see in that lineup that is your £100 gone, but to get three full days of entertainment and chance to see new exciting and up and coming bands it is a bonus, that’s what festivals are about the bands you want to see but also the experience and that gem you find and rave about to everybody else.

We always moan about the price increases, who doesn’t, but we still pay it because we know we get 3 days of non-stop entertainment in “our” city with family and friends, and share experiences with like minded others, and you can’t put a price on that (although there is plenty that will try)!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Sea Girls have self confirmed as main stage. But I reckon Bloc Party headline T'other stage and I could see Pale Waves on the leadmill stage (or whatever it's called now)  

Think Pale Waves are too big for Leadmill Stage, not a bad bet to headline T'Other stage (could also be Circa Waves) as something popular but different to Ashcroft.

Bloc Party might be this year's James/Manics, and be the established act on before the headliner with DMA's second/third and then Sea Girls 4th.

Edited by briddj

2 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

So, how long til second wave? A month, longer...? After the tickets are sold??

Last year the second wave came at this time, and was Lady Leshurr (Friday), Alfie Templeman (Saturday) and Kelis (Sunday), plus Crawlers, Bleach Lab, Baby Queen, The Clockworks and Elvana

Bad Boy Chiller Crew were added but only as a replacement for The Snuts.

11 minutes ago, briddj said:

Last year the second wave came at this time, and was Lady Leshurr (Friday), Alfie Templeman (Saturday) and Kelis (Sunday), plus Crawlers, Bleach Lab, Baby Queen, The Clockworks and Elvana

Bad Boy Chiller Crew were added but only as a replacement for The Snuts.

Yes, I saw that, but I think last year the first wave was before Xmas, presumably trying to drum up some post-covid trade. Maybe another month or two then...

2 hours ago, James360 said:

100% agree here. If there was 3 bands you want to see in that lineup that is your £100 gone, but to get three full days of entertainment and chance to see new exciting and up and coming bands it is a bonus, that’s what festivals are about the bands you want to see but also the experience and that gem you find and rave about to everybody else.

We always moan about the price increases, who doesn’t, but we still pay it because we know we get 3 days of non-stop entertainment in “our” city with family and friends, and share experiences with like minded others, and you can’t put a price on that (although there is plenty that will try)!

We saw 2-3 bands each day last year and still had a fantastic time and great value, although we did get in early on the saturday last year, watched Russel Kane then got hammered in VIP until The Vaccines 

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Some of the comments on Twitter last night were frankly embarrassing. 

Totally agree there. The comments about the lack of AM do my nut as well. Because (a) they're very clearly never going to do it and (b) they are literally playing the park the month before already, twice. 

2 hours ago, briddj said:

Think Pale Waves are too big for Leadmill Stage, not a bad bet to headline T'Other stage (could also be Circa Waves) as something popular but different to Ashcroft.

Bloc Party might be this year's James/Manics, and be the established act on before the headliner with DMA's second/third and then Sea Girls 4th.

You might be right, but hope Circa Waves and Ashcroft don't clash. That'll be a nightmare (I'll want to see CW she'll want Ashcroft) 

Think Tramlines have been hard done by compared to Truck tbh.

Imo as a trio TDCC, Alt-J, Royal Blood

Is significantly bigger than 

RA, Courteeners, PH &JA

Probably prefer Tramlines undercard - Kaisers, Bloc Party, The Enemy, Blossoms all be immense - but can't help but feel that the Tramlines headliners are shocking in comparison. Only Courteeners feel on the same level as any of the Truck trio.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiants said:

RA, Courteeners, PH &JA

Probably prefer Tramlines undercard - Kaisers, Bloc Party, The Enemy, Blossoms all be immense - but can't help but feel that the Tramlines headliners are shocking in comparison. Only Courteeners feel on the same level as any of the Truck trio.

Something I was saying elsewhere earlier...

SuperStruct now have 5 medium festivals over 2 weekends at the end of July ,(Tramlines, Truck, Y Not, Kendal and Bluedot), there's a lot of crossover, but some significant differences too, notably Bluedot. If they want to maximise their audience and be fair to fans (I know... it's not their number one priority) they could at least put the first wave lineups out earlier so we can make an informed choice about which two of the five best suit our individual tastes. Is that too much to ask, especially now we're all being a bit more careful with money?

Right, I'll get down off my soapbox! 

(Not sure how I've managed to turn the text red...it's late!)

2 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

Something I was saying elsewhere earlier...

SuperStruct now have 5 medium festivals over 2 weekends at the end of July ,(Tramlines, Truck, Y Not, Kendal and Bluedot), there's a lot of crossover, but some significant differences too, notably Bluedot. If they want to maximise their audience and be fair to fans (I know... it's not their number one priority) they could at least put the first wave lineups out earlier so we can make an informed choice about which two of the five best suit our individual tastes. Is that too much to ask, especially now we're all being a bit more careful with money?

Right, I'll get down off my soapbox! 

(Not sure how I've managed to turn the text red...it's late!)

Precisely. The Tramlines lineup while having some bands I really love (Bloc Party, Courteeners, Kaiser Chiefs) genuinely feels like a retro festival for the over 40s this year. Beabadoobee and Circa Waves are the closest it gets to any sort of relevancy for anyone below 30.

Compare that to last year's far more exciting and even relevant trio of SF, Kasabian and Madness and it creates a really baffling feeling. How can two lineups be so drastically different in tone, especially regarding the headliners?

I just think, as much as some will defend the festival, it is undoubtedly a below par lineup this year, taking advantage of a city desperate for live music. I thought the point of Superstruct was to make money and deliver higher quality acts across all their festivals?

Well, clearly, they are keen to alienate large swathes of their audience and simply just increase the profits with a cheap cast off "first wave" (do we even know if/when they will announce this second wave??")

I think they need to hold their hands up and say this is below par, we're going to book someone big in the second wave to offer a decent header alternative to those not stuck in 1985.

30 minutes ago, SleepingGiants said:

Precisely. The Tramlines lineup while having some bands I really love (Bloc Party, Courteeners, Kaiser Chiefs) genuinely feels like a retro festival for the over 40s this year. Beabadoobee and Circa Waves are the closest it gets to any sort of relevancy for anyone below 30.

Compare that to last year's far more exciting and even relevant trio of SF, Kasabian and Madness and it creates a really baffling feeling. How can two lineups be so drastically different in tone, especially regarding the headliners?

I just think, as much as some will defend the festival, it is undoubtedly a below par lineup this year, taking advantage of a city desperate for live music. I thought the point of Superstruct was to make money and deliver higher quality acts across all their festivals?

Well, clearly, they are keen to alienate large swathes of their audience and simply just increase the profits with a cheap cast off "first wave" (do we even know if/when they will announce this second wave??")

I think they need to hold their hands up and say this is below par, we're going to book someone big in the second wave to offer a decent header alternative to those not stuck in 1985.

I just really want to choose the best two events for me, and have SuperStruct allow for the fact that this may change each year, depending on who I've seen recently, other gigs I've got booked, my current favourite albums and new discoveries, etc.

The tight clustering of events is really annoying too. Even if I was loaded, I still can't go to more than 2 of the 5. Kendal used to be later, so I could mix and match that with say Tramlines, Bingley, Bluedot (Jodrell) and others. Three of the 5 clashing with Latitude too (obvs not SuperStruct)... there's probably some market research somewhere saying these are the best two weekends for festivals that are not Glasto or R&L, something to do with start of summer holidays... massively frustrating!

9 hours ago, SleepingGiants said:

RA, Courteeners, PH &JA

Personally, I've no interest whatsoever in Alt-J, and they really don't seem like a Tramlines act. And Royal Blood headlined in 2021. And remember Tramlines also look to have a heritage act headline on the Sunday, which is different to other festivals.

As "an over-40s male", I'd absolutely take this over Truck.

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Personally, I've no interest whatsoever in Alt-J, and they really don't seem like a Tramlines act. And Royal Blood headlined in 2021. And remember Tramlines also look to have a heritage act headline on the Sunday, which is different to other festivals.

As "an over-40s male", I'd absolutely take this over Truck.

Aye, Im turning 41 in June, still like a lot of current music, but for me im happier with this lineup then I was from last years bar the headliners, who were fantastic last year. 

I watched 2-3 bands a day last year, although on the Saturday that was due to sitting in VIP drinking like a fish after Russel Kane, if my group can get on their toes and get out of the accommodation early this year I could easily go in early all 3 days as theres that much I want to see, and I still think Tramlines will drop in some gems on the next few announcements, a bit like they did when announcing Kelis last year, who was unbelievable.   

On 1/31/2023 at 7:33 PM, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I love it.  Imagine lots won't.

My favourite current band Red Rum Club are there plus lots of established older acts I have listened to and seen. 

Does have the feel of a Shine On weekender though and not good for the under 25s.  But as my mate said let them go to Leeds and watch sh@te and burn their tents 🤣

Yup.

As a 22 year old feel a little bit disappointed in this one. Aiming for a Saturday day ticket as I love Blossoms and Courteeners and live local, but definitely not a festival geared towards me.

You're also right that I've got my weekend tickets for R&L booked (although not about setting my tent on fire. I'm far too scared to camp at R&L!! - Hotel for me please).