Album of the Month Tournament - 2021 Grand Finale Vote

dentalplan

I did a blunder and the actual number 10 on the tiebreak criteria I set out later (not noticing the tie for 10th) would have been The Vaccines - Back In Love City. It doesn't matter but for the sake of transparency, let it be known. I am glad for the opportunity to take another swipe at Arlo Parks' album nonetheless.

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I can't believe Little Simz didn't walk that. I feel like I am missing something with Wolf Alice. I like it, I even like it enough that I bought it on vinyl but I don't think it would even make my top 10. It's just one of many good albums released this year for me. 

Still 2,3 and 4 are my 1, 2 and 3 so that will have to do for me. 

Maybe you’re not missing something? Maybe you just didn’t think it was all that?

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I can't believe Little Simz didn't walk that. I feel like I am missing something with Wolf Alice. I like it, I even like it enough that I bought it on vinyl but I don't think it would even make my top 10. It's just one of many good albums released this year for me. 

Still 2,3 and 4 are my 1, 2 and 3 so that will have to do for me. 

I bought it on vinyl too & it's nowhere near my top ten of the year. It's alright, a bit like their first 2 albums. I think they're a much better live act than they are on record.

I like Simbi and I’ve been following her progress for the best part of a decade but she’s getting to be a bit one-note now. Very serious about being the greatest and greatness and overcoming the odds on her path to greatness… Boring innit?

I know the album is literally called ‘Sometimes I Might Be Introvert’ but I wish her themes weren’t so damn introverted. She can shine a light on the world very well now and then, but the occasions are too few and far between.

This one was predictably more ambitious and grandiose after the success of Grey Area. But a lot of it was just the same old with a different filter.

It is nothing new in hip hop at all but I don’t know… I’m just very bored of how Simbi does it. Still an incredible talent and hopefully her crowning as no longer an ‘up-and-comer’ but a proper star lets her look out upon the world a bit more.

Edited by dentalplan

• 2 weeks later...