news & politics:discussion

zahidf

going back 300 years the uk has seen its job on the world stage to guarantee shipping lanes, taking down pirates - possibly because it had the largest navy, also because it used the seas to get to its colonies.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

extra cost normally comes from adding value there's no added value from bigger shipping costs.

You’ve missed the point of my post.

The impact on inflation of increasing shipping costs for containers diverting from the Suez Canal is marginal.

Politicians are bringing up the spectre of a new inflation shock when justifying the bombing of Yemen. Which disingenuously plays on the publics memory and fear of last winter’s inflation shock and which they either know to be untrue, or they are are lying.

I think lying to the public so that you can drop bombs is bad.

31 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Inflation isn't the only reason given.  And it does impact inflation so...  I am missing your point.

Thats okay, some people need a bit of extra help sometimes. Reading can be hard!

The impact on inflation is negligible. The rate of inflation will still fall roughly in line with BoE’s expectations. It doesn’t justify war with Yemen.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

You’ve missed the point of my post.

The impact on inflation of increasing shipping costs for containers diverting from the Suez Canal is marginal.

Politicians are bringing up the spectre of a new inflation shock when justifying the bombing of Yemen. Which disingenuously plays on the publics memory and fear of last winter’s inflation shock and which they either know to be untrue, or they are are lying.

I think lying to the public so that you can drop bombs is bad.

history shows that actions  restricting the normal flow of oil can have huge impacts on all prices.

The mistake the Somali pirates made was they didn't declare support for Hamas. People would of stood up for them then.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Thats okay, some people need a bit of extra help sometimes. Reading can be hard!

The impact on inflation is negligible. The rate of inflation will still fall roughly in line with BoE’s expectations. It doesn’t justify war with Yemen.

you angle only exposes you ignorance of history not a fault in the inflation narrative!

Surely the impact on the global economy will depend on how much disruption to ships travelling through suez and how long goes on for?

Anyway, I understand why US/UK had to do something, they had given Houthis a warning, so had to carry it through...just to show who's boss etc. Problem is Houthis are not the sort to just give in, they are battle hardened after years of civil war and fighting with Saudi Arabia, so we could be opening a can of worms. Of course if there is a ceasefire tomorrow in Gaza and the start of negotiations towards a resolution then all this would likely go away.

Edited by steviewevie

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but then US would have dropped bombs on Somalia.

it did till it got its ass kicked.

("black hawk down" wasn't it?)

Edited by Neil

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

it did till it got its ass kicked.

("black hawk down" wasn't it?)

yes, but nothing to do with pirates. They did drop a few bombs there not too long ago for some other reason but no one was bothered.

Edited by steviewevie

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Christians of Iowa support Trump...he's their man.

Religious f**king lunatics everywhere.

not so many in the uk thank gawd.

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Surely the impact on the global economy will depend on how much disruption to ships travelling through suez and how long goes on for?

Anyway, I understand why US/UK had to do something, they had given Houthis a warning, so had to carry it through...just to show who's boss etc. Problem is Houthis are not the sort to just give in, they are battle hardened after years of civil war and fighting with Saudi Arabia, so we could be opening a can of worms. Of course if there is a ceasefire tomorrow in Gaza and the start of negotiations towards a resolution then all this would likely go away.

Do you understand that? I dont.

We live in a sick world. I’m sad for you if you understand it.

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Haha. I dont know how you manage it, but everytime I think you cant look more idiotic you manage to do so. Its a gift!!

doubling down on your own idiotic -i see. do you feel the need to support the houthi's cos you reckon they're on corbyn's side?

oil transport doesn't have to be impacted for the price to spike, it only has to look like it might be impacted - has happened many times in the past