news & politics:discussion

zahidf

That was a good speech I thought especially given the start and how it could’ve shaken him. Some more policy added in and Starmer also outlined how a Labour government will bring about hope.

The vibe in that hall seemed incredible and from the audience alone it seems like a party heading to government.

On the protestor, Starmer handled it well and seemed to spur him on a bit. He’ll get plaudits for how he carried on after that and if anything the protestor will ensure more people end up seeing parts of his speech so in a way it’s not a bad thing. However there needs to be questions asked about how on earth someone can get onto the stage to be able to throw something on the leader of the Labour Party. He could’ve been carrying anything and security really needs to be improved.

All in all though it was good from Starmer, shows Labour are ready for government and Starmer looks great with a bit of glitter on him  

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

On the protestor, Starmer handled it well and seemed to spur him on a bit. He’ll get plaudits for how he carried on after that and if anything the protestor will ensure more people end up seeing parts of his speech so in a way it’s not a bad thing. However there needs to be questions asked about how on earth someone can get onto the stage to be able to throw something on the leader of the Labour Party. He could’ve been carrying anything and security really needs to be improved.

yeah, definitely. Two MPs have been killed recently.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That was a good speech I thought especially given the start and how it could’ve shaken him. Some more policy added in and Starmer also outlined how a Labour government will bring about hope.

The vibe in that hall seemed incredible and from the audience alone it seems like a party heading to government.

All in all though it was good from Starmer, shows Labour are ready for government and Starmer looks great with a bit of glitter on him  

Even if we’re a bad one I don’t think you’d have said it was tbf … however It seemed to be ok wish all politicians would leave out the filler though . Lots of words that say absolutely jack sh*t . Seen to extreme with the Tory’s the other day . He did seem to deal with the protester well I agree . 

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

i like the 'grey belt bit for building on carparks, gonna need less of them as personal car use reduces. there's a car park just up the road at a public (green space) park from me which has had some flats built on stilts over it i've even seen it featured on tv. the flats look lush, too.

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

And that is why they did it, it was clearly set up, just watch the BBC live reporting,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-67065235

The reporter announces that his reaction is going to be "roll up his sleeves and get stuck in" even before he has unbuttoned his sleeve. Clearly a rehearsed stunt, why did he take off his jacket and roll up his sleeves? Not necessary unless he wanted to portray a more down to earth image. Security would have got him before he got to Starmer unless they were told not to.

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

And that is why they did it, it was clearly set up, just watch the BBC live reporting,

The reporter announces that his reaction is going to be "roll up his sleeves and get stuck in" even before he has unbuttoned his sleeve. Clearly a rehearsed stunt, why did he take off his jacket and roll up his sleeves? Not necessary unless he wanted to portray a more down to earth image. Security would have got him before he got to Starmer unless they were told not to.

he was visibly shaking ... watch when he holds his hands out . That was no setup 

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

HAHAHA

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

he was visibly shaking ... watch when he holds his hands out . That was no setup 

And yet he was still able to come up with the perfect line about "protest or power", I don't buy it, looks staged to me and how did the reporter know he was about to roll up his sleeves? He had only reached for his cuff when she said that. No actual reason for him to do so.

Just now, gizmoman said:

And yet he was still able to come up with the perfect line about "protest or power", I don't buy it, looks staged to me and how did the reporter know he was about to roll up his sleeves? He had only reached for his cuff when she said that. No actual reason for him to do so.

maybe a quick off the cuff reply , actually sometimes people can respond quickly with humour and its better than anything planned 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Even if we’re a bad one I don’t think you’d have said it was tbf … however It seemed to be ok wish all politicians would leave out the filler though . Lots of words that say absolutely jack sh*t . Seen to extreme with the Tory’s the other day . He did seem to deal with the protester well I agree . 

I disagree, he outlined his view on the country’s issues and have his vision for how to remedy them. He clearly separated how he would address the sticking plaster politics on a way that the Tories aren’t going to. He gave people a reason to hope, hope for an improved NHS, hope for an improved political system, hope for a greener country.

It’s a stark difference to the chaos ridden conference from the Tories and a stark difference to Sunak who barely said anything about the main issues facing people today and had no real policies to deal with them. 

Politicians use the ‘filler’ as you call it to tell a story with their speeches, to build the argument they and hook people in emotionally. It’s quite normal.

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

i like the 'grey belt bit for building on carparks, gonna need less of them as personal car use reduces. there's a car park just up the road at a public (green space) park from me which has had some flats built on stilts over it i've even seen it featured on tv. the flats look lush, too.

Yeah it’s a good idea and a good way of spinning it too. Plus it means we get more houses too. 

6 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

he used the protest or power line the last time there were big protests when he was making his conference speech (was it last year or year before?)...this isn't first time protesters have interrupted a speech so he's well rehearsed.

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I disagree, he outlined his view on the country’s issues and have his vision for how to remedy them. He clearly separated how he would address the sticking plaster politics on a way that the Tories aren’t going to. He gave people a reason to hope, hope for an improved NHS, hope for an improved political system, hope for a greener country.

It’s a stark difference to the chaos ridden conference from the Tories and a stark difference to Sunak who barely said anything about the main issues facing people today and had no real policies to deal with them. 

Politicians use the ‘filler’ as you call it to tell a story with their speeches, to build the argument they and hook people in emotionally. It’s quite normal.

a lot of that speech was about winning over disillusioned tory and snp voters.