2019: Plethora of acts miming/ performing to backing tracks

Splonk

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In what way? I do prefer to see music performed in front of me. And sometimes I'd rather it sounded objectively worse if that means it's genuinely happening in the moment.

Not always, obviously. Lizzo's music was made (very cleverly) on a computer, so to perform that live would be less authentic. But The Who? I'd rather that was 100% live, bum notes and all.

I've only anecdotal things to go off, but there was an article posted here after U2 played that went into some detail about what was happening FOH - given what their shows try to do I suppose it's understandable that they're not relying on the drummer to keep them in check.

I've heard Ice T interviewed where he spoke about his surprise in seeing it when he resurrected Bodycount and went out on tour travelling metal festivals in the US. 

When I was at college a few years back they did FOH tuition.  The amount of things available to the artist from the sound desk is huge.

I think it's mainly to ensure a consistency in the show at large gigs where there are many variables, and will obviously vary from act to act, from a click track up to what's described above with The Who.  You might well be hearing what the artist intends you to hear, just not exactly what the artist is actually doing.

I don't know how I feel about it, because I've no evidence of it happening, which I suppose is kind of the point.  But it would seem to be a bit dishonest.  It's just something that comes to mind whenever the boring old argument of 'real music' vs computers crops up!