Formula 1

DareToDibble

The rumours about Lewis not coming back seem to be gathering momentum, although I'm still not sure I believe it myself. If he doesn't, though, it'll be such a shame. One of the best drivers the sport has ever seen should be allowed to have a "final race" where people can acknowledge him properly and give him the send off he deserves.

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Can't help but feel that's going to be similar to when the Tories do their own internal investigations.

I actually hold more hope for it.  If Masi goes and a new structure replaces him - that will be enough.

If Masi stay...  well...

Just now, Barry Fish said:

I actually hold more hope for it.  If Masi goes and a new structure replaces him - that will be enough.

If Masi stay...  well...

It seems a bit odd to me that they're starting on 17th (I think it was) but won't announce anything to the drivers until pre-season testing starts? By then it would be too late anyway for Lewis.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

It seems a bit odd to me that they're starting on 17th (I think it was) but won't announce anything to the drivers until pre-season testing starts? By then it would be too late anyway for Lewis.

My understanding is the drivers are being told before that...  Its tight but Lewis should get the info by then (plus shit always gets leaked).

Lewis will be there...  F1 really need him to sign on I feel to help this go away....

On 1/14/2022 at 2:49 PM, DareToDibble said:

I have a feeling that the FIA were hoping the issue would go away and the fans would forget. There still seems to be a lot of anger about it online so potentially thew FIA had no choice but to investigate further.

I have a feeling Lewis will be there partly because it sounds like there Merc car will be very strong, they've been developing the 2022 car for half of last season and I've seen a couple of things which says the engine is very strong.

I don't know if I can be bothered with the new season, what's the point when the race director/FIA can decide who wins the title in the last race?

On 1/14/2022 at 2:55 PM, DareToDibble said:

I still strongly feel that he'll be there. I think if he was looking to leave Mercedes would be in the driver market by now and there would have been some kind of rumours coming out about who they've approached.

I saw one fairly obscure journalist rumouring they might try and prize Esteban Ocon out of Alpine if Hamilton turns around and says no for 2022, which could work for Alpine in one respect given they weren't able to find a home for their driver academy affiliated F2 champion Oscar Piastri, whose facing a year in reserve driver status.

That feels like quite a way off though. I still would be very surprised if we see no Hamilton in 2022, even despite all the chaotic antics in Abu Dhabi. After all, it does seem to have caught the popular animation as officiating misjudgement, which in some respects is an achievement to see this happen in a sport other than football on such a large scale.