Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

9 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

I reckon Dua Lipa and Kendrick will be the biggest crowds of the weekend.

And yet I couldn't hum you a single song by either one of them.

But then of course I am an old git, so I don't suppose they care about my ignorance any more than I do.

Had to stop and take a reality check about my age last week, when it dawned on me that June 24th just gone was the 40th anniversary of my first-ever festival...

• Upvote 2

I think they should give up on this easy and cheap selling strategy. It creates an audience that's only going there for a few names and not the whole thing/experience and will jump from the one hype to the next one which isn't vital at all. PKP used to be a place to discover new bands and rave in the Boiler till dawn, now it's a place to get hyped for Dua Lipa and the purely LN-marketed Belgian bands (Oscar & The Wolf and Bazart). Go out and ask a 100 people there why they're coming and I'm willing to bet you that most of them are just going to call out Imagine Dragons, Dua Lipa and other radio folks whilst the beauty of this always layed in the smaller alternative names. It's a giant snowball effect.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, arcuse said:

I think they should give up on this easy and cheap selling strategy. It creates an audience that's only going there for a few names and not the whole thing/experience and will jump from the one hype to the next one which isn't vital at all. PKP used to be a place to discover new bands and rave in the Boiler till dawn, now it's a place to get hyped for Dua Lipa and the purely LN-marketed Belgian bands (Oscar & The Wolf and Bazart). Go out and ask a 100 people there why they're coming and I'm willing to bet you that most of them are just going to call out Imagine Dragons, Dua Lipa and other radio folks whilst the beauty of this always layed in the smaller alternative names. It's a giant snowball effect.

That's exactly what i think. There are great acts in this line up, but too few compared to some years ago.

And i've decided: i'm not going. I'll save my money for the "Le Guess Who?" in autumn (and for "Club to Club", a very good festival in Turin, Italy).

On 7/4/2018 at 9:37 AM, Kikujiro said:

That's exactly what i think. There are great acts in this line up, but too few compared to some years ago.

And i've decided: i'm not going. I'll save my money for the "Le Guess Who?" in autumn (and for "Club to Club", a very good festival in Turin, Italy).

I am going tot Club To Club to. Curious about this one.

Last names for pkp next week?

10 hours ago, Death By Sexy said:

Did PKP shared (big) names with Dour? I am not sure. Solange last year was something different.

No. Not even sure there's anyone from the line up that's big enough not to be announced for Pukkelpop already. Possibly Soulwax again? Maybe the Oh Sees?

Being realistic, I'd like De La Soul, Chic, Alex Cameron, Curtis Harding and the Vaccines.

Being really realistic, we'll get Chvrches and Post fucking Malone.

Timetable is out . 

First thoughts - There's a sub to come on the Saturday! and two fairly big slots on the main on the Thursday and Friday.

One big slot in the Dance Hall on the Friday

Rag n Bone Man, Superorganism and Dirty Projectors all at the same time isn't great

King Giz clash with Jungle which is a shitter but Giz wins everytime for me. Pity Giz comes on halfway through Vitalic but shit happens

I have just 3 bands penciled in all weekend in the club. Hopefully I'll find something else I like in there but that's really poor going so far.

All in all, very happy with that.

EDIT - + Glassjaw, Young M.A, George FitzGerald live, Nastia, Yung Nnelg, Nosedrip, Safi and BeraadGeslagen  

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Just noticed that when you click on the print option it opens a new window with all the stages on one page. Saturday's version also has George Fitzgerald live between 23.50-00.50 and Nosedrip in the Booth. The Black Angels have been moved to the Lift.

Edit - There's now a news report with a few more new names.

Edited by Semprini
  • Upvote 1

With them giving other names but not the bigger ones, they've either not booked them yet (be hard to believe at this stage) or they can't announce them due to another Belgian festival/gig. Given the current theme of hip-hop overload I'm gonna go for them booking Tyler the Creator to play under Imagine Dragons on the Saturday. He's playing Dour this weekend and was fairly high up the Primavera line up as was Solange last year. Can't really see many other options that are playing in Belgium from now till the festival that fit the bill.  Les Ardentes, and Rock Werchter have all passed and Lokerse Feesten is only a week before the festival. If James Bay plays the Sunday at Lowlands then it makes sense he'd be another contender as he's at Rize festival on the Friday and has just played RW. Can't really see past those two names for that Saturday slot tbh

No more club, lift and Marquee names to come by the looks of things.

Also noticed how much of a cock fest the main stage this year. 3 females across the 3 days. Needs addressing.

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

With them giving other names but not the bigger ones, they've either not booked them yet (be hard to believe at this stage) or they can't announce them due to another Belgian festival/gig. Given the current theme of hip-hop overload I'm gonna go for them booking Tyler the Creator to play under Imagine Dragons on the Saturday. He's playing Dour this weekend and was fairly high up the Primavera line up as was Solange last year. Can't really see many other options that are playing in Belgium from now till the festival that fit the bill.  Les Ardentes, and Rock Werchter have all passed and Lokerse Feesten is only a week before the festival. If James Bay plays the Sunday at Lowlands then it makes sense he'd be another contender as he's at Rize festival on the Friday and has just played RW. Can't really see past those two names for that Saturday slot tbh

No more club, lift and Marquee names to come by the looks of things.

Also noticed how much of a cock fest the main stage this year. 3 females across the 3 days. Needs addressing.

Is Tyler playing in Europe in august though? I can't find anything about it.

Does make you realise how weak Friday is eh? I've clicked 4, maybe 5 that I'd not mind seeing. Not one that I HAVE to see though. Very poor, early night for me I think. Certainly won't be anywhere near Travis Scott regardless of what happens. I'm going to say, with no proof other than they are in the area, Nile Rodgers and Chic to fill the Friday gap (probably won't happen but would be great), then the other gaps will be almost certainly met with a meh. No matter, looking forward to it. Off to NOS Alive in Portugal tomorrow, that'll get the festival fever in me!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Death By Sexy said:

I don't think he will travel to europe for one gig.

I really have no clue who the remaining names could be.

Me neither, they're pretty good slots too. If there was no one then you could rejig the existing names and fill those gaps, leaving gaps lower down and people wouldn't care as much. e.g stick Jess Glynne in before Rag n Bone then shove everyone in Marquee up a slot, filling an early gap with any old band that was knocking about.

6 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Does make you realise how weak Friday is eh? I've clicked 4, maybe 5 that I'd not mind seeing. Not one that I HAVE to see though. Very poor, early night for me I think. Certainly won't be anywhere near Travis Scott regardless of what happens. I'm going to say, with no proof other than they are in the area, Nile Rodgers and Chic to fill the Friday gap (probably won't happen but would be great), then the other gaps will be almost certainly met with a meh. No matter, looking forward to it. Off to NOS Alive in Portugal tomorrow, that'll get the festival fever in me!

Have a great time mate. I thought about Chic, and whilst it's possible, I don't think it'll happen. They announced an Ostend show after the Brussels one sold out and that's nowhere near selling out and it would also mean 4 days gigging in a row. That said you never know - Nile Rodgers has got the most energy of any musician going these days.

Think we'll most likely get the last batch of names in one go, possibly early next week.

And yeah, you're right about Friday, it is shit. I've got 8 names, none are essential and three of them clash with each other.

1 minute ago, TheNewUnion said:

Me neither, they're pretty good slots too. If there was no one then you could rejig the existing names and fill those gaps, leaving gaps lower down and people wouldn't care as much. e.g stick Jess Glynne in before Rag n Bone then shove everyone in Marquee up a slot, filling an early gap with any old band that was knocking about.

Can't see them doing that or else they would have bumped everyone up on the main on the Saturday and had Bazart playing before ID. We'll definitely be getting someone.

3 hours ago, Death By Sexy said:

I don't think he will travel to europe for one gig.

I really have no clue who the remaining names could be.

Actually you're probably right. Post Malone however is playing in Europe near the dates (playing Finland on the Friday), has played at PP before and has done songs with Kendrick Lamar before. Nailed on for the sub slot (but let's hope not, eh?)

Had a chance now to mull it over and I'm pretty happy with the timetable. Love the fact TWOD have a 90 minute set but not so keen on the partial clash with Kiasmos. Thought Sam Paganini was a shoe in for the missing Boiler slot on Thurs so not sure what happened there? Happy with Nastia though as she will bang it out. 

Like everyone, Friday is a struggle at times for me but I would definitely recommend Amber Run and John Maus. Might be a day though for getting drunk and randomly stumbling across whatever takes your fancy! I've got a few DJs to see so won't be stuck but the missing Main and Dance Hall slots could help turn things around. Saturday is shaping up very nicely but from 7pm on wards is clash central for me. Will have to see how I feel at the time but will be hard to choose between some of them - the three-wayer between Nina Kraviz, Kolsch and Justice being a good example.

In terms of what we (probably) still have left:

Thursday: 1 Main, 1 Castello day and at least 1 late night DJ in there too.

Friday: 1 Main, 1 Dance Hall and 1 late night DJ in Castello

Saturday: 2 Main, 1 early Dance Hall and at least 1 late night DJ in Castello

So about 10 acts all told. Pretty hopeful for the late night Castello slots as they were a real strength of the festival last year for me.

I agree with what people are saying about there being no standout names on the Friday (although we may beg to differ on Amenra, and John Maus is excellent), but that's actually shaping up to be one of my busiest days.

Thursday is my emptiest day - hanging out mainly in the Marquee, with a couple of trips the Main for Flogging Molly, and possibly TWOD and AF* if we can get near enough to get a good atmosphere.

Could be a lot of running around on the Saturday...

*Having said that, we were a long way back for AF at BKS last year and they were still brilliant.