Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sandy one

Trip Hop - Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Allflaws

Recommended Posts

Hey,

I am currently exploring trip hop music from all over the globe.

Recently I've been checking out the likes of Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, Allflaws.  

I would be interested in anyone's suggestions from this genre as I am fairly new to it.

Please post any song, video and link suggestions. I will post some too ;) 

Here is a good start 

Portishead - Wandering Star 
 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defining music to a genre sometimes causes issues as some define it differently in their personal perceptions. That being the case it can be hard to say where "Trip Hop" starts and ends.........

Anyroad, some may say one thing about an albums genre and others may say another. What I suggest below may or may not be strictly Trip Hop but still tunes/albums worth a spin if not done so already

DJ Shadow - Entroducing

Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight

 

Look to the Ninja Tune label and well as Mo Wax. The likes of DJ Food, DJ Krush, Wagon Christ, the Psychonauts etc etc are good places to start

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to build yourself a time machine and travel back to Glastonbury Festival 2013 to watch Portishead headline the Other Stage.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a fuzzy genre this. When I think of Trip Hop I think of Brizzle. Dummy and Maxinquaye especially... Music inseparable from location.

Discussion on what is or isnt trip hop isn't something I'm interested in. Did giving it a genre title further this music in any respect? I always view the Wild Bunch crew or the MoWax rosters as being offshoots of rare groove/soul/instrumental hiphop acts rather than an easily definable type of music with a hard border.

Does the artist have a Bristol accent? Then thats a "triphop" record. :P

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Defining music to a genre sometimes causes issues as some define it differently in their personal perceptions. That being the case it can be hard to say where "Trip Hop" starts and ends.........

Anyroad, some may say one thing about an albums genre and others may say another. What I suggest below may or may not be strictly Trip Hop but still tunes/albums worth a spin if not done so already

DJ Shadow - Entroducing

Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight

 

Look to the Ninja Tune label and well as Mo Wax. The likes of DJ Food, DJ Krush, Wagon Christ, the Psychonauts etc etc are good places to start

These are amazing. I'm going to check out stuff on Ninja tunes as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Morcheeba always used to get labelled that way, particularly for the remixes.

 

Thanks. My god this track is total bliss. Absolutely love it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Bit of a fuzzy genre this. When I think of Trip Hop I think of Brizzle. Dummy and Maxinquaye especially... Music inseparable from location.

Discussion on what is or isnt trip hop isn't something I'm interested in. Did giving it a genre title further this music in any respect? I always view the Wild Bunch crew or the MoWax rosters as being offshoots of rare groove/soul/instrumental hiphop acts rather than an easily definable type of music with a hard border.

Does the artist have a Bristol accent? Then thats a "triphop" record. :P

 

 

Yes the stuff I've been introduced to is all from Bristol. Visited there for a weekend and loved the place for music and culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sandy one said:

Thanks. My god this track is total bliss. Absolutely love it. 

"beats and b-sides" is a whole album of remixes of their first album.

If you click thru to Youtube from that you should get the whole "beats & b-sides" album.

Or if you PM me, i might be able to help. 

Edited by eFestivals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, windy_miller said:

You need to build yourself a time machine and travel back to Glastonbury Festival 2013 to watch Portishead headline the Other Stage.

 

One of the most beautiful musical moments I have ever experienced in my life and I still can believe it happened at the Other Stage of all places! Mesmerizing, emotional, life affirming stuff...........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

"beats and b-sides" is a whole album of remixes of their first album.

Their first album is a cracker also regardless.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

One of the most beautiful musical moments I have ever experienced in my life and I still can believe it happened at the Other Stage of all places! Mesmerizing, emotional, life affirming stuff...........

I missed that.

I did try to see them headline the Acoustic Tent in about 1995, but rather oddly it was utterly impossible to even get thru the gate of the field. :lol:

(I ended up in Cabaret, watching Korky & the Juice Pigs doing piss-take impressions which included Portishead. It might have been more entertaining, cos it was a definite highlight of my 30 years of Glasto).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eFestivals said:

I missed that.

You and a tonne of other folk. The party Chic were holding on WH was the big draw that night and pretty much everyone I knew at Glasto that year was getting down with Nile n Co while I was stood agog at the Other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

You and a tonne of other folk. The party Chic were holding on WH was the big draw that night and pretty much everyone I knew at Glasto that year was getting down with Nile n Co while I was stood agog at the Other. 

and Chic weren't even that good. :(

Bad choice by me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and Chic weren't even that good. :(

Bad choice by me.

Ah really? I heard to the contrary....... Well there was defo no complaints (unlike some folks experiences at WH this year for certain gigs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I heard to the contrary

probably from people who hadn't seen them before.

I've seen them perhaps 15 times, and that one was pretty average for Chic. I had hopes of it being particularly special (which is why I went rather than to Portishead).

Edited by eFestivals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I missed that.

I did try to see them headline the Acoustic Tent in about 1995, but rather oddly it was utterly impossible to even get thru the gate of the field. :lol:

(I ended up in Cabaret, watching Korky & the Juice Pigs doing piss-take impressions which included Portishead. It might have been more entertaining, cos it was a definite highlight of my 30 years of Glasto).

I wasn't there in 1995, but one of my mates always used to regale me a tale of him crawling through a hedge to get into the acoustic field to see them :lol:

Portishead at the Other Stage in 2013 is one of my favourite Glastonbury sets of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

An interesting list here to work your way through if looking to get into this "genre". Also an interesting preface to read prior to the list

http://www.factmag.com/2015/07/30/50-best-trip-hop-albums/

There's a few albums on there that I never though of as Trip Hop before, but looking back probably are.

Case in point... Let's Get Killed by David Homes.  Phenomenal stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncPhOluYtA

Edited by windy_miller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 2:08 PM, windy_miller said:

Portishead at the Other Stage in 2013 is one of my favourite Glastonbury sets of all time.

Certainly vies for the best thing I've seen on the farm.  An absolutely magical performance I felt privileged to see.  I regularly play the iplayer footage still.

That top 50 list posted earlier in the thread has some corkers in there, Red Snapper are a band well worth checking out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thread, journeyed through Trip Hop many years ago, found a few things on that linky up there, nice one :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, whisty said:

Great thread, journeyed through Trip Hop many years ago, found a few things on that linky up there, nice one :)

 

Another new one to me. Loving it thanks. Will check out more from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...