Loiana Leal

Hello everyone!

Having been luck again this year to snap up tickets to the only Festival I really enjoy going, my beloved Glastonbury, and having camped on site sometimes, as well as at Worthy View for the past 3 years, last Thursday, unfortunatelly, I was not luck to get a pitch high up in the hill at WV. I do love WV and I think it is worth every penny, but we have to find an alternative for that for this year. A friend booked a pitch for a campervan and a car at a field called Ashcombe car park. Their map shows they are from a walking distance from gate D, and the website informs there are flushing toilets and hot showers. However, there are not much information about how long the walk is to the gate and how the facilities or field are like. Are the showers 24h? Are they really hot and good? Are there long queues (Worth View showers are very good, and queues are rare) ? Are the flushing toilets chemical toilets? Can we pitch a tent near the campervan? Do they offer taps for water in the campsite? Is it drinkable? Does it get muddy? Do they sell food, as for example breakfast? Is the walk to gate D around 20 min ( I am guessing by looking at the photos, but I would like to know)? How is the security like? Is it a friendly environment? And mainly, do we only pay £60 (really for 4 people)?

If anyone has ever stayed there, I would love to hear your review on it. Also, I have been searching for other options to camp offsite, just in case. Tangerine fields are sold out and other options as Love fields, Pop up hotel and Pop up motel are away too exprensive (£1000 pounds is away to much!). I have seen some places to offer suttle service between their sites and the festival, but I wouldnt like to stay that far. So either I stick to Ashcombe or venture camping in site (problem is having to arrive there on wednesday, which is not always possible). So any thoughts or advice are more than welcome! 

Thank you!

Loiana

Hi Loiana, 

We parked in Ashcombe park car park last year, we didn't camp there but went back to the car park pretty much every day to get supplies.

The walk to the gate is about 15 minutes but you could probably do it in 10 if it was not muddy. The field itself was VERY muddy, I wouldn't have wanted to be camped there but I'm sure it will be lovely and green next year! The campervans were packed in pretty close together.

There is only one shower which costs £2 to use if I remember correctly, however never had to queue for more than half an hour or so (although it wasn't always working). The toilets are normal flushable toilets and were clean. Can't remember if there was water or not but I think there must have been. Food is normal burger van-type stuff (bacon rolls etc) but is cheap (for Glastonbury) and good. All the security/staff were really friendly and it was very secure. I think it is £30 for car only, £60 for a campervan and £60 for car plus tent pitch. Personally I wouldn't camp there in a tent because it felt more like a car park than a campsite and really felt like you were 'out' of the festival but if you have a camper and it's not muddy then it might be ok. We are going to park there again next year because it's cheaper than the official car parks and much easier to get out of on Monday morning. 

Hope this helps!

Be careful with anywhere that advertises a 'shuttle' service....certainly at least one of the sites had the service banned by the Festival last year....I think because it was an unofficial service with no formal connection to GFL, and was therefore flouting the traffic restrictions by stopping near gate A.

• 2 months later...
On 28/10/2016 at 2:50 PM, Loiana Leal said:

Hello everyone!

Having been luck again this year to snap up tickets to the only Festival I really enjoy going, my beloved Glastonbury, and having camped on site sometimes, as well as at Worthy View for the past 3 years, last Thursday, unfortunatelly, I was not luck to get a pitch high up in the hill at WV. I do love WV and I think it is worth every penny, but we have to find an alternative for that for this year. A friend booked a pitch for a campervan and a car at a field called Ashcombe car park. Their map shows they are from a walking distance from gate D, and the website informs there are flushing toilets and hot showers. However, there are not much information about how long the walk is to the gate and how the facilities or field are like. Are the showers 24h? Are they really hot and good? Are there long queues (Worth View showers are very good, and queues are rare) ? Are the flushing toilets chemical toilets? Can we pitch a tent near the campervan? Do they offer taps for water in the campsite? Is it drinkable? Does it get muddy? Do they sell food, as for example breakfast? Is the walk to gate D around 20 min ( I am guessing by looking at the photos, but I would like to know)? How is the security like? Is it a friendly environment? And mainly, do we only pay £60 (really for 4 people)?

If anyone has ever stayed there, I would love to hear your review on it. Also, I have been searching for other options to camp offsite, just in case. Tangerine fields are sold out and other options as Love fields, Pop up hotel and Pop up motel are away too exprensive (£1000 pounds is away to much!). I have seen some places to offer suttle service between their sites and the festival, but I wouldnt like to stay that far. So either I stick to Ashcombe or venture camping in site (problem is having to arrive there on wednesday, which is not always possible). So any thoughts or advice are more than welcome! 

Thank you!

Loiana

Hi Loiana

I too am interested on all that you're asking! I MESSED up our campervan tickets this year and having only been twice before 2014/15 and only stayed on site at Glastonbury then we really don't know much about other options;-( My wife and i are a little old for camping at Glastonbury now with the youngsters so caravaning is our only option but we don't want to walk to far to any gates so Ashcombe sounds quite good really.....let me know if you have any more info/find out how to book!

Thanks

Ben

On 15 January 2017 at 10:28 AM, benstennis said:

How do you book? I've emailed but not had a reply and facebook page is out of date! help!

If you email they will reply it will come back as a name so may be worth checking spam! 

Edited by funkychick2007
Forgot to put reply

On 31/10/2016 at 1:15 PM, franathy said:

Hi Loiana, 

We parked in Ashcombe park car park last year, we didn't camp there but went back to the car park pretty much every day to get supplies.

The walk to the gate is about 15 minutes but you could probably do it in 10 if it was not muddy. The field itself was VERY muddy, I wouldn't have wanted to be camped there but I'm sure it will be lovely and green next year! The campervans were packed in pretty close together.

There is only one shower which costs £2 to use if I remember correctly, however never had to queue for more than half an hour or so (although it wasn't always working). The toilets are normal flushable toilets and were clean. Can't remember if there was water or not but I think there must have been. Food is normal burger van-type stuff (bacon rolls etc) but is cheap (for Glastonbury) and good. All the security/staff were really friendly and it was very secure. I think it is £30 for car only, £60 for a campervan and £60 for car plus tent pitch. Personally I wouldn't camp there in a tent because it felt more like a car park than a campsite and really felt like you were 'out' of the festival but if you have a camper and it's not muddy then it might be ok. We are going to park there again next year because it's cheaper than the official car parks and much easier to get out of on Monday morning. 

Hope this helps!

Lol that place can't be far then.. It takes me more than 15 minutes to get from gate A to the old sons camp which is opposite the pyramid stage lol...

Those who have parked here before.  Is it simple enough to walk with all your gear (eg- 1 or 2 sack trolleys) from the car?  It looks like you'd maybe have to walk up the A361 which may be a bit stop start if there's heavy traffic.  Or is there a route straight to Gate D?

Edited by merago
Amending sausage-finger typing

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, perrycoke said:

We've been given an email saying we've got a spot reserved. I'm a bit worried that it's on a 1st come 1st serve basis and that by the time we turn up our email confirmation will be worthless.

Have you paid yet?  I think it's highly unlikely to be gazumped if you've paid them tbh.  We have friends who used them last year and said they were excellent.

If in doubt email them to be certain its all above board and that the booking will be honoured.

4 hours ago, perrycoke said:

We've been given an email saying we've got a spot reserved. I'm a bit worried that it's on a 1st come 1st serve basis and that by the time we turn up our email confirmation will be worthless.

Do you think that just means that you will be pitched on a first come first served basis... so nothing to do with actual access to the site?

4 hours ago, perrycoke said:

I haven't paid anything yet, the email said to pay when we get there.

We're not planning on traveling down until the Wednesday, so hoping that when we get there they don't turn us away.

I'd givem a call and ask if you can pay in advance or at least tell them when you're arriving

Hi Loiana

I parked here in 2014. Just a car space. I arrived on Tuesday and was one of the early ones so was right up at the top of the field, closer to the path you can walk up that takes you to gate D. It's a 10-15 min walk to gate D, but I'm a regular walker (dog owner) so others might say 20 mins.

There was zero coms from when I booked months in advance till when I arrived. They knew how to park up rows, for h&s reasons and in case you needed out. The camper vans were parked on the left as you drive in. The staff were friendly, mostly young guys making a bit of cash for an easy weeks work.

i put up a small tent on the tues eve next to car, there were quite a few doing that, no probs. On wed morn about 6am, maybe it was later I can't remember exact, a shuttle bus took about a dozen of us a 2 min drive to the Q for gate A.

of course that was a bit lazy also a bit dumb as it just meant an even longer walk from gate A to one of the fields near gate D where I wanted to be, Dairy I think it was. I only went in with my bigger tent and small rucksack, pitched it where I wanted to be, and then made several Sherpa trips back and forward at my leisure to my car over the rest of Wednesday.

The rest of the week I made a few more trips to use the shower, it was just ok, but all that I needed. Never had to queue. Toilets were 2 rather dirty normal loos with toilet paper provided.

the field was never muddy but in 2014 it rained but it never got like last year 2016, thank god. I would use them again if I had to but now I work for my ticket and can park close to my field, so no need.

I did think it felt a bit removed from the festival, (because it was!) but it was better than one of the far away public car parks, and I couldn't have pitched my small pop up tent that Tuesday eve if I'd gone there. It is probably about roughly the same walk from there to gate D as it was from where the campers were last year to Gate B

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...