Taxis late at night from festival

johnnycollins_101

1st time going to Glastonbury and can't wait. Unfortunately we've become a bit soft in our old age and we're staying in a cottage in Barton St Davids for the festival. Just looking to see if people know if you can get taxis very late at night/early morning (say 4/5am) from festival and from which entrance? Also we'll be able to get a taxi up to the festival handy enough but which is the best entrance to go into?

Thanks a million, see you all there

That seems quite a decent way from the festival site, imagine it might get quite expensive... No idea whether there are any just waiting at the exit but I think your best best would be to get the number of a local taxi firm and talk to them about what you need. You never know you might be able to negotiate a discount for multiple trips and if you've spoken to them ahead of time I'd feel better about reliability..... 

edit: from the other thread on taxis to Bristol it seems there is an onsite taxi rank from 'gate A near the temporary pedestrian crossing on the main road'. 

Edited by Levitz

The taxi rank used to be in a layby by Steanbow - it was a 10 - 15 minute walk from Gate D or Gate A. I'm not sure if that's still the case, and the Festival has really been pushing the official pick up and drop off point at Bath and West Showground, which is a bus ride away from Gate A http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/2592-2/. In any case, there won't be taxis waiting - you'll need to pre-book, which of course means you'll need to make sure you stop whatever you're doing whenever you're doing it, even if it's the best fun you've ever had ever, to walk (possibly some considerable distance, depending on where you are - the site is HUGE and you need to be prepared for this) then possibly get a shuttle bus, to go and get your cab. 

And it isn't going to be cheap. If you're honestly committed to it, you'll be able to make it work, but if you're planning to party in Shangri-La until 4/5am you don't seem that soft in your old age to me!! That said, you've possibly left it a bit late to cancel your cottage and book an onsite/near-onsite glamping alternative.

Some more info.

Steanbow remains the taxi rank but only for Mendip or South Somerset District Council licenced hackney or private hire cabs. Sounds like the festival will be putting more work into ensuring only Steanbow is used (and only by the appropriate vehicles).

http://www.mendip.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=11598&p=0

The farm is about a 15 minute walk from Gate D, which could be far longer from where you are as well. At a guess the entire journey, walking and taxi, would take at least an hour - assuming your taxi is on time/turns up.

You may be able to grab a black cab by walking up there, but possibly not around the time you want - prebooking from one of the local companies would be the best bet, a quick google suggests you would pay about £40 for a trip at that time of day.

Unlike smaller festivals the size of both the site and the traffic restrictions around it make it difficult to stay off site. If there is anyway you can cancel your booking I would look into one of the on site (or just off site) glamping options instead, however guessing its too late for that. Hopefully you manage to negotiate a good price with a local firm and have a great time anyway!

Edited by blackred

Blimey that's 9 miles away! Not exactly handy for the festival! By the time you've walked up to where the taxi drop off point is - probably about 45 mins at least from SE corner, find a taxi  and eventually get to where you are staying it'll be time to come back on site again! I think you might struggle going in and off site every day. Could you not consider other options like the pop up hotel or one of the other nearby glamping sites??

It's not until you first go to the festival that you realise just how big it is, and I think that getting a taxi there and back every day is going to be exhausting and very expensive!

i had never ever been camping before I went, but I discovered it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (and I was 52!).

Maybe given the amount you would have to shell out, you'd be better off spending that money on a good, comfy tent. Then arrange to camp in one of the fields near an entrance so you don't have to carry your gear too far, and I'm sure you might be able to find a group of youngsters who would be willing to help you carry your stuff if you offer them money (which I am sure they might not even take given the spirit of collaboration and laid back friendliness which I've experienced).

Good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful time :-)

As others have said, it could take a while to get there and back.  I used to live in Wells, which is nearer than you will be and once I was 18 I never would have considered going back to the house, just due to the time element - or staying sober due to taxis being expensive ;) 

Hope you enjoy your first festival!  This plan sounds very tricky to me. If you are driving to Somerset and definitely want to stay in a cottafe, you might be easier & cheaper to insure all your party on the car and then take it in turns to be the driver.   Or be prepared for very very long walks and long waits......ok in good weather but how will you feel about it when its pouring....

Yes does sound exhausting but great for weight loss lol. Plus if you're pissed/high you won't care. Bad for the sober person though. It's bad enough walking to your car to go off site. I saw some taxis at gate D (about 10 minutes walking out) but these may have been prebooked

19 minutes ago, johnnycollins_101 said:

Oh dear not exactly the positive news I was hoping for! Thank you all very much for your replies and local knowledge, we're committed to the cottage at this stage so we'll make it work. Sure feck it at least we're going to Glastonbury 

I would seriously suggest you hire a car for you to share the driving each day between you. 

But that would mean getting hold of a parking pass for each day, of course. 

Edited by JanieM28

5 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

I would seriously suggest you hire a car for you to share the driving each day between you. 

You would only need one to cover the weekend - you can drive in and out of the car parks as long as you have a pass.

6 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

YOu don't need a car parking pass 'for each day' - you just need a car parking pass. Buy it on the gate when you first go in, but for the love of God don't stick it to the inside of a hire car window - they're like superglue! You'll never get it off and will end up being charged a fine by the hire company!