Somerset (OK, Swedish really) Log Candles. For sale at this year's Festival. 1/3 off for eFesters

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my we have called that the leafy lay by since the early nineties. Last time we drove past the frying Scotsman had gone!

Ha! :)

The Frying Scotsman sold his catering rights to the layby to a lovely chap called Mark about six years ago so that he could pursue a career in photography. Mark still sells food there Mon to Sat still trading as 'The Frying Scotsman'. His burgers are particularly good,especially the cheese and bacon burgers. He uses locally farmed beef, none of the usual factory rubbish.

If anyone is heading to Glastonbury on the M5 and getting off at junction 23 onto the A39 and is feeling peckish then mark is your man. The layby is about a mile off junction 23 at the bottom of a big hill. Likewise it is just after the last set of traffic lights where you turn right a couple of miles before the motorway after leaving the festival before junction 23 of the M5.

I wont be there in the week before the festival or the week afterwards due to festi work.

The original 'Frying Scotsman' is back selling burgers etc in the B&Q carpark in Bridgwater.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

Good to know. It was a tradition of ours to stop in the leafy lay by and have at least a mug of tea/coffee there. The epic traffic jam of 2009 changed our route but we will be coming on Tuesday with the caravan this year and will be on that route again. A return visit to leafy lay by is a must.

Thanks to everyone for your orders by text.

I will keep your orders reserved until late afternoon on the Thursday of the festival unless you specifically say or have said that you will pick them up later on.If you don't appear I'll nag you by text...or may  phone you or even get one of my odd friends to phone you...

If the latter happens, please don't be scared, my herd of odd friends might be odd...but they are generally great fun and always completely harmless. And if you have ordered one and don't manage to drop by to collect it..as I said in my OP..That's fine .

.  I suspect that anything planned from the Friday onwards has a fairly high likelihood of not happening...both on my part and yours....for all sorts of reasons :)  ..which is why I'll only keep texted reservations until the Thursday afternoon.

As I have only a limited number of the Log Candles...and would like to try to see if they will sell to 'normal' festival goers... not just eFesters after I've been bigging them up on here, I'm going to have to shut down the offer of the cut price deal for new orders.  Depending on demand, it will probably be tomorrow lunchtime, but could be earlier.

I do apologise for this, but if i sell them all pre-ordered on here (and most of you lovely lot might be thinking  'aww, nice eFester bloke selling something...won't break the bank. let's help him out, only a few quid') I won't get an indication of real demand at Glastonbury.

I'd really like to see if a random Glastonbury goer would be likely to buy one on impulse.so can't sell them all on here.

Was lovely to meet the eFesters that arranged to buy some in the layby last Sunday.. and also the eFesters that turned up unannounced.....Seems that eFesters are like rats...you are never more than 10m away from one  :)

•   (btw, don't go shouting this, but was on site this afternoon and it seems the DL's main appearance is going to be Sun morning in The King's Field. Some grassy stage is being constructed now that is kind of invisible, but Sun morning it will get jacked up and a PA will arrive and that is where he can be seen.Disclaimer... I can not guarantee that this is either exactly right nor his only public appearance...but I was told that by someone who really should know.  . Shhhh ;)  )

Thanks to everyone for your orders by text.

I will keep your orders reserved until late afternoon on the Thursday of the festival unless you specifically say or have said that you will pick them up later on.If you don't appear I'll nag you by text...or may  phone you or even get one of my odd friends to phone you...

If the latter happens, please don't be scared, my herd of odd friends might be odd...but they are generally great fun and always completely harmless.

.  I suspect that anything planned from the Friday onwards has a fairly high likelihood of not happening...both on my part and yours....for all sorts of reasons :)  ..which is why I'll only keep texted reservations until the Thursday afternoon.

As I have only a limited number of the Log Candles...and would like to try to see if they will sell to 'normal' festival goers... not just eFesters after I've been bigging them up on here, I'm going to have to shut down the offer of the cut price deal for new orders.  Depending on demand, it will probably be tomorrow lunchtime, but could be earlier.

I do apologise for this, but if i sell them all pre-ordered on here (and most of you lovely lot might be thinking  'aww, nice eFester bloke selling something...won't break the bank. let's help him out, only a few quid') I won't get an indication of real demand at Glastonbury.

•   (btw, don't go shouting this, but was on site this afternoon and it seems the DL's main appearance is going to be Sun morning in The King's Field. Some grassy stage is being constructed now that is kind of invisible, but Sun morning it will get jacked up and a PA will arrive and that is where he can be seen.Disclaimer... I can not guarantee that this is either exactly right nor his only public appearance...but I was told that by someone who really should know.  . Shhhh ;)  )

Your offer the efests people was a fine one Sawdusty Surfer. I don't think anyone could blame you for not being able to future maintain the price given that you've got to make a living and presumably are limited through hauleage limitations on how many you can get on to the site.

Something tells me that Sawdusty Surfer doesn't go to sleep until bedtime and that that isn't now. He'll half be expecting another order at odd times between now and the cut off point I'm sure. I hope I'm not wrong though.

Well past my bedtime. 

Woke up an N Derbyshire at 5 am. 

Nighty night. 

Hi  everyone, thanks for all the advance orders. 

Haven't got enough left to be able to take any more orders by text, sorry, should have made more.

All pre orders by text will all be honoured until at least the Thurs early evening. After that I'm sorry, but who knows what could happen? Having said that, nag me by text and it should be OK. :)

As you may know we are in the Croissant Neuf Field at the entrance to the Greenfields. 

Wednesday and Thursday are the busiest in our area.....One of our crew has come up with a bonkers idea for weds night as the sun sets.

Can't wait. 

Kind of signing out as now tooing and froing from now until we land backhome after the festival. Will try to post some pics of the build if I can sort out uploads from my phone. (Prob need to sort eFests  password?) 

Thanks everyone, hopefully see some of you there, J

Glad that they are selling well Sawdusty.  How heavy are they?  I fancy a couple for when we go camping with the family later in the summer but cant be bothered trek around the site with it all day if they are quite heavy.  Will pop down on Wednesday to check them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all the eFesters that bought a log candle from me. Genuinely lovely to meet all of you. Before this year I only knew one.

Top moment on the Tuesday night, managed to get off site and then back on into the CV fields to drop one off for an Efester who haden't arrived yet. CV field East. Drove around looking for an easily spottable place to drop one off so he could collect it. Found a nice camp with a huge Manx flag at the top of a field. Asked if it was ok to leave it there.....The top man said " Oh, its a log candle, I've seen them on eFestivals, nice to meet you!"  Couldn't believe it. It was collected and all went like clockwork. 

Sold some but gave away and burnt more ourselves. Well worth it and had great fun doing so. 

Told everyone that they are called 'Somerset Log Candles' as they were invented on The Levels in Somerset as fires couldn't be built on flooded land. Sorry about that :)

We bought two off you and they were great. Made me laugh when we said its going to be a long trek back to pylon with these. You then pointed out that at least we now had two wooden stools to sit on to get a rest on the way :)

Thanks to all the eFesters that bought a log candle from me. Genuinely lovely to meet all of you. Before this year I only knew one.

Top moment on the Tuesday night, managed to get off site and then back on into the CV fields to drop one off for an Efester who haden't arrived yet. CV field East. Drove around looking for an easily spottable place to drop one off so he could collect it. Found a nice camp with a huge Manx flag at the top of a field. Asked if it was ok to leave it there.....The top man said " Oh, its a log candle, I've seen them on eFestivals, nice to meet you!"  Couldn't believe it. It was collected and all went like clockwork. 

Sold some but gave away and burnt more ourselves. Well worth it and had great fun doing so. 

Told everyone that they are called 'Somerset Log Candles' as they were invented on The Levels in Somerset as fires couldn't be built on flooded land. Sorry about that :)

Thanks for mine, I was in a bit of a state when I picked mine up, but thanks was great on the Saturday nigh.

Also was it you who had one attached to a pan on their head on the Sunday night wandering around the Green fields ?

Thanks for mine, I was in a bit of a state when I picked mine up, but thanks was great on the Saturday nigh.

Also was it you who had one attached to a pan on their head on the Sunday night wandering around the Green fields ?

I was constantly grabbed by stewards/security as they were a little concerned by the Health and Safety issues.

I gently explained that I had a handle on the situation.

Cheers for mine Sawdusty, and it was good to meet you.  If I looked a bit hazy on Sunday when I picked mine up, well, I was, and even after seeing you three times overall I was thinking "where's that beard come from??" which means I had a really good time overall :-)