Where to stay Tuesday night....

Stretlow

This might not be the right place to ask this.... But my wife and I will be flying into London on the Sunday before and are looking at places to stay within the city. Can anyone recommend a neighborhood to stay in. Neither of us have been to London before.

As there is at least five main airports it would make sense if you let us know which airport you are flying into and how you are planning to reach Glastonbury as that would help narrow things down.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're getting the train to Glasto, I'd recommend not doing it from London. Look at this thing I put together this year - it lists the first trains into Castle Cary (nearest station to the festival) and surprisingly, London suffers from the latest arrival time of anywhere. You'd be better off staying in Castle Cary the night before and getting the first shuttle bus to the site at 7am.

Glasto2014_trains_zps560f183b.jpg

Cheers for this.

I'm gonna hijack this thread a little now :P

Me & a mate are having to come by train, from Chichester which is a bit rubbish as it requires a fair few changes. We're trying to figure out the best approach for getting down early;

- get the first train in the morning which arrives 10am

- get a train to London/Bristol/whatever and stay there overnight then get the first train

- get the last train Tuesday night to Castle Cary and stay in a hotel/campsite if there are any

Thoughts?

p.s can you camp in the queue on Tuesday night? :P

Edited by MattDavies__

- get the first train in the morning which arrives 10am

- get a train to London/Bristol/whatever and stay there overnight then get the first train

- get the last train Tuesday night to Castle Cary and stay in a hotel/campsite if there are any

Thoughts?

p.s can you camp in the queue on Tuesday night? :P

You can't "camp" in the queue overnight but you can wait around - although honestly if you're going by Public Transport then to do so would be a crazy idea and this is why:

Any transport arriving at the site prior to Wednesday morning will be for crew - so you'll have a problem getting on it, and/or it'll drop you nowhere near the festival Bus Station.

In terms of getting in early, the big advantage of Public Transport is that you get priority at PGA - a few years ago I literally got off a National Express Coach from Bristol at 7:50am, and was through the gate within 15 minutes and fully pitched up in Kidney Mead by 9am - meanwhile many people who'd come by car and queued overnight were still outside. Better yet, I'd had a full nights sleep in a 30 quid Travelodge room.

The Bus Station does tend to get busier later in the day as more coaches arrive, so with a train that reaches Castle Cary at 10am, you probably won't be through the gate before 11am and maybe not 12 - it's difficult to predict because it varies a lot depending on arrival patterns which can be all over the place.

Personally in your situation I'd look at staying overnight in either Bristol or Yeovil then getting the first bus/train in.

Edited by incident

You can't "camp" in the queue overnight but you can wait around - although honestly if you're going by Public Transport then to do so would be a crazy idea and this is why:

Any transport arriving at the site prior to Wednesday morning will be for crew - so you'll have a problem getting on it, and/or it'll drop you nowhere near the festival Bus Station.

In terms of getting in early, the big advantage of Public Transport is that you get priority at PGA - a few years ago I literally got off a National Express Coach from Bristol at 7:50am, and was through the gate within 15 minutes and fully pitched up in Kidney Mead by 9am - meanwhile many people who'd come by car and queued overnight were still outside. Better yet, I'd had a full nights sleep in a 30 quid Travelodge room.

The Bus Station does tend to get busier later in the day as more coaches arrive, so with a train that reaches Castle Cary at 10am, you probably won't be through the gate before 11am and maybe not 12 - it's difficult to predict because it varies a lot depending on arrival patterns which can be all over the place.

Personally in your situation I'd look at staying overnight in either Bristol or Yeovil then getting the first bus/train in.

Thanks very much. Think we'll try the Bristol option. Should be able to find somewhere reasonably cheap for a night

This year (sorry last year) we stayed at greenacres campsite just outside of pilton. Hot showers, fridges, BBQ area and about 5 min from site

We have booked sun/mon at Avalon campsite. Then in the queue for campervan field Tuesday morning

Edited by oldbird