T minus and counting - 2015

whisty

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one for whisty too ( I hope you didn't have this one earmarked whisty);

No, no, not at all, thanks :)

Here's a pic of the inisde, they don't make things like this anymore.

173%20large2.JPG

And another 173 from Hackney Adelaide.

trams_28_tram_173.jpg

Happy New Year.

Not far from me that one of Mr Hacks up there ^^

What's it like there? I take it there ( or thereabouts) is Brentford - at least that's what I think the signage on the bus says.

I went to Bedfordshire for the first time this Christmas and it made me wonder about different places around the country and how people all slipped in to the Christmas bonhomie. I 'kind of' forget that there are other places in the UK normally. Actually, it's worse than that - I know that this is bad of me and I don't mean for it to be this way, but I actually do forget totally that East Anglia exists. In those rare moments when I do realise that the place exists it feels like I've been lamped by Mike Tyson. I just can't fathom it, or anything else for that matter, out.

PS - I hope this is not perceived as an anti East Anglia rant, because it's not intended to be.

I know what you mean Yog. For a tiny island many of us know very little about bits on the 'other side' or the 'far edge'. Often our only image can be formed by characture programmes like The Only Way is Essex or, in the case of South Wales where I live, from Gavin and Stacey.

Apart from that it might be visiting places for music festivals. For example, the only times I have been to Cambridge have been for the Cambridge Rock Festival.

For a tiny island many of us know very little about bits on the 'other side' or the 'far edge'.

I don't even know the north side of Birmingham. When I used to have to go there on work related business, I'd often get completely lost - geographically speaking. I did have two friends who lived there, and I knew how to get to their houses. I'm just not sure that the depravity that took place in those two houses are representative of the north of Birmingham as a whole. It's kind of an alien place to me.

That's a shame. You're missing out on Cheshire, vibrant Manchester and the beautiful Lake District to name a few!

Cheshire - I went there for a cousin's wedding and got so drunk that when I started dancing on the dance floor my mother came up to me and asked if I was on drugs. As it happened, apart from alcohol, I wasn't. I don't think she, or anyone else for that matter, really understood the message behind those shapes I wasl throwing. lol

Manchester - I went there for a job interview at a bank when I was at an impressionable age. The bank turned out to be on the same road as the train station. Once the interview was successfully fucked up, I went back to the station directly and straight home.

The Lake District - been there twice. I got bitten to pieces by midges the first time I went, which was in my youth. I then went again in the summer last year. That saw me running around with my mouth open trying to eat the bastard midges.

OK, I made that last line up.

What's it like there? I take it there ( or thereabouts) is Brentford - at least that's what I think the signage on the bus says.

It's Warley, close to Brentwood and on that junction there's a gate with free entry to a little known Essex wildlife trust run property. It's a mix of history, wildlife, especially birds and a fantastic old garden that fell to ruin, the trust just about manage to keep the wild stuff in check. Ellen Wilmott & famous horticlutarist in her time but now pretty well unknown was left a fantastic sum of money by her father & went on to financial ruin, spending it all on the gardens Anyway, I love that place especially in the spring when the dell and surrounding fields are covered in a carpet of wild seeded daffodils & as you walk round you can see little remnants of the estate. Hope I didn't bore you!

I do realise it's not a bus, but, but.............

Warleypic.jpg

19.jpg

So I'm sure where we all live there are plenty of places that can rouse interest, sometimes you just have to dig a little to find them. And as for the other places mentioned above, well they're all oop north I'm afraid :)

A bit more info here for anybody that feels the need :)http://oxoniangardener.co.uk/ellen-ann-willmott-8446/

Edited by whisty

It's Warley, close to Brentwood and on that junction there's a gate with free entry to a little known Essex wildlife trust run property. It's a mix of history, wildlife, especially birds and a fantastic old garden that fell to ruin, the trust just about manage to keep the wild stuff in check. Ellen Wilmott & famous horticlutarist in her time but now pretty well unknown was left a fantastic sum of money by her father & went on to financial ruin, spending it all on the gardens Anyway, I love that place especially in the spring when the dell and surrounding fields are covered in a carpet of wild seeded daffodils & as you walk round you can see little remnants of the estate. Hope I didn't bore you!

Not bored in the slightest. The place you mention reminds me of Moseley Bog in Birmingham, - details here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moseley_Bog

If you are ever in Cornwall, then I'd thoroughly recommend going to see The Lost Gardens of Heligan. They are amazing.

Not bored in the slightest. The place you mention reminds me of Moseley Bog in Birmingham, - details here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moseley_Bog

If you are ever in Cornwall, then I'd thoroughly recommend going to see The Lost Gardens of Heligan. They are amazing.

Man, that's an unfortunate name for a place (Fifer led the successful "Save Our Bog" campaign) :)

Long time since I visited Cornwall, in fact way too long. Did see a TV prog about the restoration of Heligan. Maybe I should plan a spring trip there, something to look forward to in these grey days.

Man, that's an unfortunate name for a place (Fifer led the successful "Save Our Bog" campaign) :)

Long time since I visited Cornwall, in fact way too long. Did see a TV prog about the restoration of Heligan. Maybe I should plan a spring trip there, something to look forward to in these grey days.

It was watching a documentary about the restoration of Heligan that first ingnited my interest in the place. Seeing it 'in the flesh' was a privilege. I have a turned bit of timber from the gardens on the end of my bathroom light pull cord. One of the grounds staff makes (or used to) them from some of the timber on site - presumably in a managed manner. I don't normally go to such places, let alone buy anything from their shops, but I'm really glad I did both in this instance.