If I had my own festival...

Guest crazyguy

Imagine you've just won the festival organisers lottery, a unlimited supply of space and and unlimited supply of cash for booking fees and a guaranteed festival going crowd of 500,000 and everybody you ask would drop everything to play the event then who would you have rocking/popping/electronicaing out your fields?

I'd personally go with a three day festival something like this (all bands playing 90 minutes and headliners doin 120 minutes - headliners first in list):

Main Stage

Friday

Metallica

Megadeth

Bullet for My Valentine

Lamb of God

Avenged Sevenfold

Saturday

Anthrax

AC/DC

Foo Fighters

Slipknot

Motorhead

Sunday

Iron Maiden

Rise Against

Rage Against the Machine

Ramstein

Black Sabbath

Second Stage

Friday

God is An Astronaut

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Mogwai

Keane

The Killers

Saturday

Fairport Convention

Steeleye Span

Jethro Tull

Pentangle (original line-up)

Nevada

Sunday

Arctic Monkeys

Arcade Fire

Kasabian

MGMT

Of Monsters and Men

What about you, would would you have?

Without allocating stages at this point would certainly include Public Enemy, The Cure, Jesus and Mary Chain, Justin Timberlake, Pulp, My Bloody Valentine, Andre Rieu, Green Day, Muse, The Pogues, Eminem with Dr Dre, Ice T and Bodycount, Blur, David Bowie and REM

Ice Cube, Ice-T, Dre, Eminem, Snoop, and the rest of the narcissistic pimps degrading black America have no place in a festival that includes Public Enemy. Or any other the other bands I mentioned. I know I know - I'm Mr Grumpy Knickers.

Not the greatest Cure fan in the world (nor critic tho), but the name reminds me of one of England's best ever bands that I somehow managed to forget: The Cult. I'd put The Mission on too.

David Bowie? Well oh yes. And I'd drag Lulu along too

(he sang backing vocals, as only he can on that song, on her version).

Leftfield, PiL, New Order, Gorillaz (a guilty pleasure) and some variant of Dexy's Midnight Runners would start to flesh it out a bit.

Iggy Pop, The Cat Empire, Flight of the Conchords, and the "Gangham Style" nutjob, starts expanding it internationally.

Bananarama too. Fuck the haters on that one, they formed themselves as kids from college who bum-rushed punk gigs and did impromptu backing on artists who became proper legends and did their own styling. The original self-made girl band. And their track Danny DeVito's Calling is a classic.

No room for a bit of Underworld at your festival Viberunner? Can't help feel they'd fit the bill.

I'd go for:

Friday:

Pearl Jam

Rage against the machine

Asian Dub Foundation

Saturday:

Bowie

Nine Inch Nails

Placebo

Sunday:

REM

James

Damien Rice

But there aren't enough good bands and dance acts to rotate without repetition.

Repetition at some point for some acts is fine.

What I'm getting at is that if someone puts all the best bands on at one festival, the next year cannot be as good in comparison because that line-up must - literally - be less good.

The only way to stop a 2nd year being less good would be to repeat every act from the first year.

T8yman I am glad you liked it.

I've got a real bee in my bonnet about young (and old) girls and stupid eyebrows. What IS it with them? Why?? Why would you want to look so stupid? How are they even slightly attractive? Where did they come from, when will they end? Argh. And the worst bit is you can't even shave them off the idiots because they DRAW them on like that, by choice, because that's how they want them?!?!

Sorry guys, as you were...

T8yman I am glad you liked it.

I've got a real bee in my bonnet about young (and old) girls and stupid eyebrows. What IS it with them? Why?? Why would you want to look so stupid? How are they even slightly attractive? Where did they come from, when will they end? Argh. And the worst bit is you can't even shave them off the idiots because they DRAW them on like that, by choice, because that's how they want them?!?!

Sorry guys, as you were...

I'd go for:

Main Stage:

Radiohead

Massive Attack

Jack White

Nas & Damian Marley

D'Angelo

Little Dragon

Metallica

Prodigy

The Black Keys