Buying other peoples tickets - Has anyone not got in?

Guest evilduck

My husband's photo was taken 2 years ago whilst he was going through chemotherapy so had zero hair and was slightly chubby (in his words) in the face from the steroids. We arrived at the festival last year to discover he'd forgotten his wallet and therefore had no ID or cards, he looked nothing like his photo having grown all his hair back thicker than ever, having lost some weight and grown a beard. We spent the time walking to the gate and queuing panicing and running through ideas to get him in or if not, how we could share out his stuff/beer so he could run back to the car, drive home to Portsmouth and pick his wallet up. But it was all fine...the guy at the gate barely looked at his photo, fitted his wrist band and in we went....no problems!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last yr I didn't go but mates did. One of whom got chatting to a lady mid festival, turns out she got in with no ticket, just walked straight through the gates!

Personally I wouldn't like to try it but I guess if you pick the right gate have enough bulls anything is possible...

It was to deter touts, but it also a condition of the site licence that the system ( ie photo ID and a check) is in place and stewards check.

If it isn't you in the ticket, the ticke isn't valid - even if it isn't a fake or even a sell on ( maybe given it bay a mate who can't go).

The council do random checks and tests at the gates and around the site to ensure the licence is being observed, so the gate staff are expected to check, and act on any suspicions - if it is you, there may be a double check via your photo IUD, or even a trip to the office to be verfified.... but if its you, you will get in.

As other threads here details the lower levels of crime, it is in all our interests that the dodgy scammers are kept out/to a minimum. Sadly, if you break your leg today, and didn't pay the see tickets insurance, this could mean you lose the money. Selling it to someone who looks similar is a big risk...

Also, it is a fact that this year there will be a push on the gates to spot anyone with someones ticket that isn't theirs.

Edited by beodeejay

Seen it happen a lot of times I have worked on the gates in various capacities and been with someone that didn't get let in one year. (He did get in eventually, but not with that ticket) the cabin checks the details on the database. No way of getting round that really. There will always be some that get through the system particularly as some people's photos are now a few years old.

Edited by Taitchuckles

Saw a family from Liverpool try and blag it with one of thier tickets. The photo on the ticket was that of a guy in his 40's but the lad using the ticket was about 16. Turns out it was his Uncle who could not go. They let him in after they admitted it wasnt his ticket as the son would have had to have made his own way home (if threy had refused him entry).

I will say though to anyone willing to try if you do get in, dont try and leave the site until after the festival as you might not get back in again when you get a passout.

On the same note as this, what happens if they dont belive your the guy in the picture even though it is you? probably wont be an issue with me but ive cut my hair since the picture on my ticket was taken and if I get someone being picky checking it over it could potentially be an issue......whats the deal here? im guessing as long as I have my id on me(passport) im fine? they cant turn you away based on someones `opinion` of how you look surly?

It was to deter touts, but it also a condition of the site licence that the system ( ie photo ID and a check) is in place and stewards check.

If it isn't you in the ticket, the ticke isn't valid - even if it isn't a fake or even a sell on ( maybe given it bay a mate who can't go).

The council do random checks and tests at the gates and around the site to ensure the licence is being observed, so the gate staff are expected to check, and act on any suspicions - if it is you, there may be a double check via your photo IUD, or even a trip to the office to be verfified.... but if its you, you will get in.

As other threads here details the lower levels of crime, it is in all our interests that the dodgy scammers are kept out/to a minimum. Sadly, if you break your leg today, and didn't pay the see tickets insurance, this could mean you lose the money. Selling it to someone who looks similar is a big risk...

Also, it is a fact that this year there will be a push on the gates to spot anyone with someones ticket that isn't theirs.

How is it a fact? If they are already checking everyones ticket like you say then why would they up it this year.

It will be no different to any other year, people wil slip through the next, people will be let in because the steward feels sorry for them and peole will get turned away.

How is it a fact? If they are already checking everyones ticket like you say then why would they up it this year.

It will be no different to any other year, people wil slip through the next, people will be let in because the steward feels sorry for them and peole will get turned away.

I'm not sure if/how it will translate to reality on the ground - but it's definitely true that this years instructions to the Gate Supervisors are that photo checking needs to be improved and that there'll be significantly more "mystery shoppers" sent through the gates than before.

Ultimately though it'll (as always) be impossible to guess what the actual numbers of each category are. Anecdotal evidence won't tell us anything as let's face it, someone who's just had a depressing solo 200 mile train ride back to wherever having failed to get in is hardly going to be wanting to shout about it. Whereas the 18 year old who gets in on a photo of a stuffed animal will be shouting it from the rooftops.