The Elusive Chanteuse

bamber

8 hours ago, bamber said:

I'm not being silly. Though there is plenty of faff, agreed.

History will judge.

But,     name me a list?....  of better singers?  

I digress.

Jessie practices a lot. She has got so much better than 10 years ago already and is still practising and getting better and better.

This.

This could be a fun game actually. I'll start with Brittany Howard

On 3/14/2020 at 10:52 AM, Festival Liam said:

This could be a fun game actually. I'll start with Brittany Howard

Brittany Howard......

Ludwig Wittgenstein famously stated in his Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus that:

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

He later recanted on that, but that is another story. More on this later.

I have an Alabama Shakes story. One day in 2013, late June, I was charging down the (what once was) railway line in the Vale of Avalon in Worthy Farm, East to West, late for something (now forgotten) that I really, really wanted to see.. En route to my destination, however, I encountered this. Stopped me in my tracks. Never got to see what I was headed to, this took over the whole afternoon.

Hold On!

Now she is a very good singer, but in my head, that connection between the female voice, the ear and the brain, in my head, I like it, but not as much as Jessie J, and others. Stumbling upon her as I did was truly inspiring. I will never forget that day and that moment, But I heard better.

There is no explanation for that.

You like Pears I like Mangos.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

On 3/14/2020 at 1:12 PM, ErnestWorthing said:

Mariah Carey

Beyonce

Adele

Gaga

Tina Turner

Alicia Keys

Christina Aguilera

Sia

Jennifer Hudson

the whole of the West End and Broadway

I mean it’d be a very, very long list before you got to Jessie blimmin J.

OK...

Mariah Carey - The only contender, past her prime, still my favourite of all time after Jessie.

Beyonce - Love Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter Love her, great tunes, Halo FFS, Jessie better.

Adele, The voice has gone by many accounts, up there with Jessie in songwriting, not quite as good at singing.

Gaga - Hah. Love GaGa, but no where near,

Tina Turner - Errrr ?

Alicia Keys - Great classically trained pianist with a lovely voice, no where near.

Christina Aguilera - 3rd after Jessie and Mariah.

Sia - Lovely, but a different sort of thing altogether.

Jennifer Hudson - American Idol BS.

the whole of the West End and Broadway - where Jessie started, and no.

Can I just add that, I'm not the only person in the world who thinks this.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, Festival Liam said:

Oh I forgot a much more obvious choice - Celine Dion

I do think Jessie J could make a top 10 of best, popular music, living singers. She is a phenomenal, completely wasted talent. But she isn't top 🤣

You think Celine is better than Jessie? (holds breath huh, huh, huh, and moves on)

I am very fond of this.....

Showing off. Jessie J.

I honestly don't know what to say here. Jessie J is very special to me. It is quite hard to talk to my friends about this, largely because she witters on like this every time before she sings, I've just learned to ignore all that, I often just go and get a drink. After the extended preamble, you get this though. Very special.

..at the Albert Hall, I was there.

Edited by bamber

10 hours ago, bamber said:

Can I just add that, I'm not the only person in the world who thinks this.

I'm sure there's a whole message board full of you, but I'm yet to see Jessie J top Rolling Stone's greatest living singers poll.

We all have our little things, I will fight anyone not agreeing that "Hackers" is the greatest film ever made, but I appreciate that's really just my thing rather than actual fact.

9 hours ago, bamber said:

Showing off. Jessie J.

I honestly don't know what to say here. Jessie J is very special to me. It is quite hard to talk to my friends about this, largely because she witters on like this every time before she sings, I've just learned to ignore all that, I often just go and get a drink. After the extended preamble, you get this though. Very special.

Her diction is awful, can't make out half of what she's singing, you'll hear technically better singers at amateur musical productions across the country.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:53 AM, ErnestWorthing said:

Her diction is awful, can't make out half of what she's singing, you'll hear technically better singers at amateur musical productions across the country.

If diction is your measure of greatness, you're missing the point. I can hear every word clear as a bell (which she is in tune with) by the way. All the greatest singers are somewhat incomprehensible. 

I suffer when she does the five minutes of (talking) preamble like everyone else, if that is any consolation.

On 5/10/2014 at 2:31 PM, bamber said:

I do this to get giggles.

Back in 2014 I said this. That makes me giggle

What strange times we live in.

Little Mo .................. Are you ready to be happy?

Edited by bamber

Many of you will remember May J Blige singing her heart out in the rain on the Pyramid in 2015? 

She did not do this one. 

Her face and voice.. I love Mary J Blige..... So glad she played the festival.

pencil 2021