Tom Waits

Winslow Leach

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have 4 - it's a slow process, but only cos it's running alongside similar Neil Young and old school blues projects. Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild years, Mule Variations or Bad as me - next on the list.

I never replaced my record player unfortunately, so I get CDs. However, some of the tracks I've never found on physical media, and could only get in MP3 format, like concerts and pre-Orphans releases like Tales from the Riverside. I will have my iPod on today (other Waits players available). If a meet happens, and you go, I'm happy to bring a CD of stuff down.

I never replaced my record player unfortunately, so I get CDs. However, some of the tracks I've never found on physical media, and could only get in MP3 format, like concerts and pre-Orphans releases like Tales from the Riverside. I will have my iPod on today (other Waits players available). If a meet happens, and you go, I'm happy to bring a CD of stuff down.

Some of the songs on Orphans are practically impossible to get elsewhere, I've got a few on bootlegs but obviously the quality is much better on Orphans

Also, some of the songs on Orphans are actually new

Edited by tommyds

He may be more of a cult figure, but I always see him as being of similar size to Neil Young. He's definitely far bigger than the two you listed. Maybe i'm just over-estimating it.

Really? Maybe I'm under-estimating him... I would put him on the same size as Nick Cave. Although Nick Cave tours a lot more with various projects making him more accessible and making ticket prices much less lower, maybe making him less cult-like? Either/or, it'd be a dream come true seeing him live.

It would be absolutely amazing to see him at Glastonbury. Sure he never does festivals, but he seems like the kind of bloke who just does whatever he fancies - so who knows? If (a big if) in the future he decides that he fancies playing a festival, surely Glastonbury is up towards the top of that list? And if Keef tells him it's brilliant, he might just go for it... [/wishfulthinking]

He may be more of a cult figure, but I always see him as being of similar size to Neil Young. He's definitely far bigger than the two you listed. Maybe i'm just over-estimating it.

that's my thoughts on it too. If neil young can headline, then so can tom waits. Neil young doesnt really have any "hits" either.

Couldn't agree more. Just think popularity wise people may be overestimating him. I think West Holts is perfect. Can you imagine stood next to some pyramid hogger talking loudly while he played Rosie, or Tom Traubert's Blues.

It could be worse, imagine if he'd had a top 40 hit at some point! Little groups of loud drunks shouting "play Hold On!" for the whole gig

Couldn't agree more. Just think popularity wise people may be overestimating him. I think West Holts is perfect. Can you imagine stood next to some pyramid hogger talking loudly while he played Rosie, or Tom Traubert's Blues.

yeah I know but that's a problem with the stage itself. He's definitely bigger than WH, and I don't think he'd take up the opportunity to play so low down, nor should he. But yeah he's not the most commercial act at all, and the crowd could well be c**ty.

This is painful. Its fantasy land stuff. We are delusional. He is never ever ever going to play the festival.

I always think the fact he has never ever played a proper festival is actually a positive sign, because one day he is bound to want to see what it's like to play one just once before he dies.......right??

and obviously he'd pick glastonbury due to the keith richards connection.

Edited by russycarps

Hello, non-fan here. I've nothing against him, listened to some of his tunes the other day and they were alright, might even grow to love some of them if I spent enough time with his back catalogue, but I'd never heard any of them before. I know his name, but precious little else. I'm not sure how representative I am, but I'm reasonable knowledgeable about music - I've been going to Pilton since '97, if that's any indication of how much I'm into music. Somehow, he's managed to pass me by. I suspect he's just not that well known, maybe it's just me.

But the masses don't know they are Waits' originally. Everyone knows Neil young sang heart of gold. Most people think of Jersey Girl and Downtown Train as Springsteen and Stewart originals

That's just it - I don't think most people have even heard of those two tracks! From this board, he seems to get a hell of a lot of respect for those that know him, so he's not tiny... I'm guessing that he probably is West Holts size. Bigger than Chic though? No chance.

The first I ever heard of Tom Waits was at uni, watching this film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090967/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_17

It's brilliant if you haven't seen it. During the film I was like, "Who is that bloke? The one with the voice..."

My housemate gave me a look of disgust, paused it and left the room. He came back moments later with a copy of Rain Dogs, placed it on my arm rest and pressed play.

The rest, the old cliche goes, is history.

• 4 months later...