Tom Waits

Winslow Leach

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give anything to see TOm Waits live. But I personally think he's too big for West Holts. I don't know though.

Difficult one. Because he plays so few gigs, it's hard to establish where exactly he'd fit.

I'd agree about him being too big to headline West Holts, but where else could he go? He's certainly not one to fit in with the 'mainstream crowds' so maybe West Holts would be the only option if he were to play?

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/legal-and-management/6029312/tom-waits-signs-with-wme-first-music-agent-in-20

A faint glimmer of a hint of a possibility of future live shows. Too late for this year, but West Holts headliner for 2015. Make it happen, accept no substitutes.

Yes! Stadium tour coming this summer!

Difficult one. Because he plays so few gigs, it's hard to establish where exactly he'd fit.

I'd agree about him being too big to headline West Holts, but where else could he go? He's certainly not one to fit in with the 'mainstream crowds' so maybe West Holts would be the only option if he were to play?

And I can't imagine him wanting to play in daylight.

If he ever played (let's face it, it's never going to happen) I would have thought headlining Acoustic. And for it to be like Portishead in 95 all over again.

That would be so cool if he toured and soon, but I just can't see him performing at a festival (unfortunately), too short, impersonal and too much out of his control for environment.

ticket prices if he tours will be horrendous.

Agreed, but would they be lower for larger venues? They were, what, £100 for Edinburgh? Mrs CJ does not like the man, so I'm heading off in the CV this time. (Don't tell me about divorce, I've looked into it, and her claims of aural mental cruelty would sway the judge).

Bigger than Public Enemy or Chic? I would say he'd be perfect for West Holts

Tonnes bigger draw than PE certainly, and almost definitely Chic too (I was at both)...

Largely because the chance to see him is such a rarity. I'm lucky enough to have seen his last two european tours (Dublin 2008 and Amsterdam 2004) and he's worth the extortionate prices (for me at least)

Also, there isn't a chance in hell of him ever playing Glastonbury or any other festival!

edit:years

Edited by beecee

Tonnes bigger draw than PE certainly, and almost definitely Chic too (I was at both)...

Largely because the chance to see him is such a rarity. I'm lucky enough to have seen his last two european tours (Dublin 2008 and Amsterdam 2004) and he's worth the extortionate prices (for me at least)

Also, there isn't a chance in hell of him ever playing Glastonbury or any other festival!

edit:years

For me the general ordinary person won't know of nor recognise any of Tom Waits' songs, he's more of a cult artist. Everybody knows the songs Chic play, Public Enemy are still massive, I'm not convinced. I'd say West Holts would be perfect. I would also say Nile Rodgers would be much more well known than Tom Waits to your average Joe. I can see him headlining West Holts, maybe subbing the Pyramid... if he was to play at Glasto.

I would pay hundreds. And then lie to or lose the missus. Depending on what looks like the easiest option.

If you chose the missus instead and then he came out and played a cracking gig (which he would) and finished it with Children's Story and you weren't there due to your missus I suspect that would be the end of the relationship anyway.

Or if he brought out Keef to play a few tunes and you weren't there. You might end up in the papers the next day.

"Man arrested, standing naked in the street covered in blood after womans body found" etc etc

For me the general ordinary person won't know of nor recognise any of Tom Waits' songs, he's more of a cult artist. Everybody knows the songs Chic play, Public Enemy are still massive, I'm not convinced. I'd say West Holts would be perfect. I would also say Nile Rodgers would be much more well known than Tom Waits to your average Joe. I can see him headlining West Holts, maybe subbing the Pyramid... if he was to play at Glasto.

He has loads of tunes where people would say "I didnt know that was him" or "he didnt write that did he?" But yeah sure, he doesn't have the pop appeal of lots of others.

Like the man said himself : "They say that I have no hits and that I'm difficult to work with. And they say that like its a bad thing".

He usually releases something every 3-4 years. Last album was 2011 so fingers crossed.

Edited by The Nal

Yeah you could well be right. I guess I'm thinking in terms of how it would be if he was to tour. He would be able to sell out a large venue in any city in Europe for multiple nights in a row at huge prices without any problems.

Whereas I've been seeing Public Enemy live for years and the numbers at the gigs have been dropping significantly every time.

I guess it's back to Neil's argument about Prince gigs only being popular because of their relative rarity (compared to Kasabian I think he said?!?).

Anyway, inspired by those videos from Nal, I'm off to spend the day listening to Tom! :-) I suggest you all do likewise!!!

He has loads of tunes where people would say "I didnt know that was him" or "he didnt write that did he?" But yeah sure, he doesn't have the pop appeal of lots of others.

Like the man said himself : "They say that I have no hits and that I'm difficult to work with. And they say that like its a bad thing".

He usually releases something every 3-4 years. Last album was 2011 so fingers crossed.

The best live performer I've ever seen. I think he could beat the Pyramid into submission, given the chance and the inclination but agree there's not a Tom Cat in Hell's chance of him playing Glastonbury.

He doesn't always include the UK in his far too rare outings and when he does the demand for tickets is in the Kate Bush magnitude - as are his handsome prices. But worth every penny.

Still not got round to buying bad as me. I'm determined that all Waits purchases be vinyl and the back catalogue is taking its time due to volume/cost. Have listened whilst at work on you tube a few times though. Not heard that children's story before. What album's that from? Sounds similar in a way to "What's he building in there?" which is pure genius.

I think it's on Orphans

I went to see him in Paris on the Glitter and Doom tour, spent a ridiculous amount on tickets (around £100) but it is, hands down, the best gig I've ever seen

Still not got round to buying bad as me. I'm determined that all Waits purchases be vinyl and the back catalogue is taking its time due to volume/cost. Have listened whilst at work on you tube a few times though. Not heard that children's story before. What album's that from? Sounds similar in a way to "What's he building in there?" which is pure genius.

The needle has just hit the start of Swordfishtrombones as we speak.

Children's story is off disc 3 of Orphans (the "Bastards" disc :-)) Liking the ambitious vinyl plan!

Swordfish is right up there with my favourite albums of all time!!!

I think it's on Orphans

I went to see him in Paris on the Glitter and Doom tour, spent a ridiculous amount on tickets (around £100) but it is, hands down, the best gig I've ever seen

I concur - saw Tom on the same Glitter and Doom tour in Edinburgh - without doubt the best gig I've every seen, and that's saying something! Waits at Glastonbury would be beyond perfection. Can't see it though - he hardly ever tours - has he ever played a festival?

Johnsburg, Illinois: Possibly the most gorgeous 90 seconds ever. (Apart from a night with the Scruff, obviously).

Do you then lay back and listen to the end 30 seconds...?

Sorry, couldn't resist