never been to a festival - considering next year with the family

Guest paula1972

Hi!

new to this site and after years of wanting to go to a festival but other things getting in the way decided on kendal calling to coincide with the daughters 16th birthday.

So just wanted to pick at your experience - we will be taking two 16 year olds and a 4 year old - we were thinking emperor field but i didnt want the camping to be too hushed ie boring but didnt want drunken fellas peeing next to my tent into the small hours.

Anyone on here taken small children and do yo have any tips?

thank you anyone that can offer anything!

Hiya paula, welcome to the forum.

I would guess the Emperors field would be just what your after, its not that noisy or quiet in the field. A lot of people buy emperors tickets because you can park the car close to the tent so its not too far to cart your gear back and forth, plus theres free showers and its own entrance in to the arena. Theres a quiet field on the outskirts of camping for anyone who wants a peaceful time.

Kendals a good festival for first timers, a decent mix of families and teens with some reasonable acts on and not to far to travel between the car, campsite and stages. Ive been taking my daughter since she was 9 years and took a 6 month old for the first time this year and she loved it. Theres plenty to keep a 4 year old amused with a dedicated kids area and things like fancy dress days.

If theres anything else you want to know then just ask.

Hey Paul a ,

As Ramra says your looking at the right festival. We took our 8 year olds the year before last and will be back next year. Brilliant festival and loads of space for the kids to run about. Not too big that they will be spooked but enough room to roam in safety and good line up to keep you interested. Would definately go for it. My experience with the weans has been that being outside all day with so much to see and do and so many new friends to play with and no roads / traffic etc leads to a generally relaxing weekend with fun for all the family. Our boys are 8 and have been at 10 ( I think ) festival weekends. Go for it and take a pram for the 4 year old.

Thanks for the replies and your advice it sounds perfect! Can't wait to get the tickets now - I'm planning on taking a tent for us two and the toddler and a second small 2 man for the teenagers to sleep in - would this be seen as being greedy on the space? Aaaaand one more thing - campfires (in the evening obviously) I know they aren't allowed but do staff go round extinguishing them like they do in some places. I've seen some garden fire pits on eBay made out of washing machine drums for like a tenner so would seem ideal!

You will be fine with 2 tents. Makes sense. Your teenagers will be able to sneak back out once your asleep.

The washing machine drum fire things are brilliant. Pretty certain it will say on the website that you are not allowed them. Also pretty certain that you will see someone else with one on the go while you are there. Seems to be just your luck with the stewards but personally don`t see a problem with fires*. Very sociable in my experience.

* Obviously you don`t want to be lighting fires up close to other folks tents. You`ll be causing enough bother with your teenagers running amok :D

• 5 months later...
We have a similar situation with our group this year, but ours are older so we will banish 2 to the general camp ha. If you have young children the family area last year was better than Emperors anyway without paying the extra, you aren't doomed to general - party there is general party, quiet or family. First year we went we were a "family" as in a few groups of extended family mix of festival going 18- 25yrs with us the 47's and over (ahem) and also two 12 yr olds, Didn't have emperors, didnt want to take our rowdy ones into family or quiet, didn't really want to expose our 12 yr old to hardcore general which is a lottery of who camps next to you so went in general and the steward said "Party or Family?" and my nephew replied we are a Party Family, so we camped slap bang on the border of both, it was great. The next year though we decided to get emperors tickets just cos we had some tents really close in general with needs that the parents amongst us couldn't be arsed looking after lol. Due to an error on the stewards part we actually ended up camping in the camper van field which was annoying at first but ended up the best yet. (they have changed where it is since and wouldn't recommend). Last Year Emperors was fine but it's not a guarantee of happiness for families, good for us cos our respectful younger adults do have fun and sit up all night sometimes which is what festivals are about when the music has finished. We have ear plugs in case we want to sleep , have a great time, save money sell your emperors and go in family

Thanks for that, very helpful! If we go in general/family would we still get access to emporers? Or would it just not be worth the hassle and walk just for a hot shower?! We're also what I would describe as a party family (although takes three days to recover now!) either way sure it will be brill!

Might just flog the two adults emps. that we have then.

Thanks for that, very helpful! If we go in general/family would we still get access to emporers? Or would it just not be worth the hassle and walk just for a hot shower?! We're also what I would describe as a party family (although takes three days to recover now!) either way sure it will be brill!

Might just flog the two adults emps. that we have then.

you wouldn't get access to emperors from general, unless you bribe the security guard (I am not kidding), anyway there's not that much there apart from a few places to get a coffee etc, toilets & showers. General has showers you can pay for anyway but I can't remember how much they were.

We camped in general family in 2012 but it was massively overcrowded with basically anyone, think they learned from that though as some have already said it was supposed to be great last year. Emperors isn't quiet, people party until the early hours there too, we liked it as it's less walk from the car and I like the entrance through the woods.

You'll easily flog the emperors as people always seem to be after them.

you wouldn't get access to emperors from general, unless you bribe the security guard (I am not kidding), anyway there's not that much there apart from a few places to get a coffee etc, toilets & showers. General has showers you can pay for anyway but I can't remember how much they were.

We camped in general family in 2012 but it was massively overcrowded with basically anyone, think they learned from that though as some have already said it was supposed to be great last year. Emperors isn't quiet, people party until the early hours there too, we liked it as it's less walk from the car and I like the entrance through the woods.

You'll easily flog the emperors as people always seem to be after them.

I'm pretty sure the shower in the family camping were around £5. That sounds a lot until you consider you pay £27.50 including booking for emperors and every bugger in the field wants a shower ! There was never a queue at the family showers either.