What Can I Expect?

Guest Leggins

So, I'm 35 and a relative new-comer to festivals as a whole. I have only ever done 3 x Glastonburys (2010, 2011 and 2013). My friend and I, as an impulse decision, decided to get ourselves a Bestival ticket each and I'm really looking forward to it. It looks like a brilliant festival.

So from your experience and wealth of knowledge on the subject...What are you top tips for a Bestival newbie? What the "need to knows" and the "need to dos". All advice hints and tips are welcome.

Cheers

Explore every corner of the site.

Dress skimpily if you're going dancing in Bollywood.

Pace yourself; some stages' headliners aren't on until 3am.

Go on the toboggan run.

Stage times are released last-minute but try and get/make a clash-finder.

Once it gets dark on the Thursday night, step out the back of the Big Top and take in the view of the Stardust Field and the main stage. For me that's always one of the defining "moments" of the festival.

Whatever you end up doing on the Sunday night, make sure you're back in the Stardust Field for the big finalé after Elton John finishes. And then make sure you're off dancing again with friends until the early hours, otherwise the end of the weekend is just too sad.

get involved with fancy dress Saturday :) have a cocktail in Bollywood , take a stroll through the forest and butterfly garden , so much to do you can dance in the wishing tree and swamp shack and catch some huge names on the main stage.

Also yes pace yourself i remember friendly fires , orbital and major lazer not starting till like 2am , and on top of all that stuff the new temple island and The Port areas sound fantastic

• 3 weeks later...

I was a Bestival 40-something newbie last year, and after countless Glastonbury's, I think in a similar situation to yourself.

First of all, its WAY smaller than Glastonbury, the walk from the car park was a doddle in comparison, and you don't get that heavy leg syndrome after the hiking at Glastonbury! It's a lot younger than Glastonbury, although you won't feel out of place, but maybe as a result, its a bit more hedonistic and there seemed to be more "casulaties" if you know what I mean. That said, the crowd was friendly, welcoming and fun!

Definitely do the fancy dress, definitely don't camp in the first campsite at the bottom of the hill when you come in, Definitely take time in the enchanted forest and definitely explore thoroughly. I liked the fact that there were stages in the camping areas (not as noisy as you might think - even Arcadia!). You can take booze into the main site, although you need to make sure it's hidden in your bag - and be prepared to have it taken off you if they search. That said its close enough to nip back to your tent for supplies. And they have sniffer dogs at the gates....just incase you were wondering.

Generally its a great festival, and if it wasn't so expensive to get to for me, I'd definitely go back more often. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...