anyone see flaming lips tonight

Guest russycarps

Fucking hell, car crash of a gig. Wayne Coyne obviously too ill to perform and off his head on medication it seemed.

I'm a huge fan but that was dire stuff. shame really because they have ditched the hamster ball and all the on stage dancers and all that guff now

Good cover of bowies heroes mind

Wayne will be back to full health by next week as he's only got a heavy cold, so it will be good.

It's a different show now though like I say, the costumes, the props, the balloons...all that is gone but it had run it's course in my opinion.

The light show and the band and the NOISE was amazing, but wayne was a shadow of his usual self and the gig suffered massively.

80% of the crowd were there for the kids party and the likes of the yeah yeah yeah song. The new stuff is a pretty big departure from that!

I will definitely try and catch them again on this tour, when wayne is 100%

They did an awful w*nky slowed down version of race for the prize though, that really annoyed me.

The played one of my favourite songs - All we have is now - and it was a brilliant arrangement, but waynes vocal by then were finished.

A real shame, it should have been postponed. I'm quite annoyed it wasnt

Wayne was also clearly affected by events in Oklahoma City (their home town)

Edited by russycarps

I really enjoyed them; I thought the way he interacted with the crowd was absolutely fantastic and I thought the new songs worked surprisingly well live. Also I thought the version of Race for the Prize was excellent; when the drums finally kicked in and all the lights came on it was a really great moment IMO. I could see why people didn't enjoy it though.

The new setlist appears to be the best of The Terror mixed with the best of Yoshimi. I'm hoping for a full UK tour soon.

Even as they toured At War With The Mystics, I remember silently wishing that they'd forego all the trimmings and just focus upon playing the songs. But a slowed down Race For The Prize? No way. I'd rather they not play it at all. Like on the Embryonic tour and they did acoustic versions of Fight Test & Yoshimi that appeared to go on forever. I could have lived without those.

Saw them in Brighton last night...they also screwed with Do You Realise, which is now a more down trodden shell of its former self. As someone who enjoys their songs and also the 'kids birthday' aspect I was disappointed. The usual feelings of euphoria were replaced with a lingering melon collie and business only picked up a couple of times.

Fair play they want to do something different with their show but at the same time they've stopped doing what they did so uniquely well and are now doing what plenty of other pretentious bands are doing... Only not as good.

On a plus note, I did get a signed setlist so hey ho!