The Final Headliner

Guest Hart Attack

The Final Headliner  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you THINK the final headliner will be?

• Black Sabbath
    • Blur
    • Green Day
    • Linkin Park
    • Metallica
    • Nine Inch Nails
    • Rage Against The Machine
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you WANT the final headliner to be?

• Black Sabbath
    • Blur
    • Green Day
    • Linkin Park
    • Metallica
    • Nine Inch Nails
    • Rage Against The Machine
    • Other

Metallica technically last played before death magnetic and only showcased a few of those. If they played there'd be more of that plus potentially new material they're writing. However I don't think it's them.

Rage on the other hand will be playing the 2008 show all over again.

It is a toughie this year, but I wouldn't discount bands not being in Europe as a huge reason, it's only another flight and if they get paid enough and want to do it then I'm sure a band would.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe blur have left that gap in a world tour for no reason. Out of all the bands mentioned their the only one touring in europe at the time.

Just because someone said blur are not doing uk dates could mean that that source is good at keeping secrets.

Just like all the signs that soad were playing, I think all the signs are that blur are.

This is one of those, you just don't expect them and their large gap is too much of a co-incidence. I have a few mates who would sell an arm (not literally haha) for Blur but I'll see them within the next two months so I don't care much, and if what's been talked about on here came true for that day, if the NME stage wasn't great or the other stages didn't have enough, I could see it being the top two I like and then maybe one in the middle and bottom.
Edited by MattDavies__

Not being in Europe is a stronger argument than 'System said it was a heavy band' is, which is all we're going on at the moment. When was the last time a (non-British) band headlined R&L on a Euro exclusive?

Think its more of a bookers thing. I don't think R&L tend to book headline acts that haven't had anything new since the last time they played, and when they do it tends to be for a reform or whatever, which obviously doesn't apply to Rage & Metallica.

Edited by Asdaprice

Think - Sabbath

Want - Rage

I just think that Sabbath was the first BIG rumour we got about headlining, and surely them being in talks is strong enough evidence than for any of the other bands? Can see it being like The Cure last year. People originally thought it was going to be them, then were half ruled out, then got put at TBC a couple days/weeks (not really sure which) before the announcement. Also links in with a sort of band SOAD would be persuaded to sub for.

Also Green Day, still think that the Emirates show rules them out, when was the last time a headliner played a big outdoor show in England the same summer? (Genuine question, feel free to answer). Also doubt they'd book them to headline when a hand-full of people got to see them at Reading last year?

Also Green Day, still think that the Emirates show rules them out, when was the last time a headliner played a big outdoor show in England the same summer? (Genuine question, feel free to answer). Also doubt they'd book them to headline when a hand-full of people got to see them at Reading last year?

This is why thetime should take note as since a band has been playing a festival they have done this since 1997, that's around a 17 year period including 3 appearances.

I don't think I need to explain the need to think or research it, I think not to think or research it is the issue.

I have indeed mentioned it before. So R&L was Metallica's 1st stop after Death Magnetic. Only thing going for it is that Sonisphere and Werchter in 09 got 4 songs off of it and R&L only got 2 but is is really worth a headline spot just to showcase a normal set plus 2 others?

Edited by Asdaprice

Yup, just pointing out its not likely to be a decision made solely by the new booker.

The main thing ruling Green Day out is they're not gonna sit around on Bilbao beach for 6 weeks (I'm assuming that's a better option than sitting in Reading town centre for 6 weeks).