Bilbao BBK Live 2013

Guest Luke Routledge

Really considering going to it next year. I know its not the most inspired set of headline acts but for £70 it sounds like it could be a really good cheap holiday. I have never been to a foreign festival but I have done Leeds for the past 5 years and Download this year. Has anyone been before? Would you recommend it?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i went last year, for the money its really really worth it, campsite is a bit of bitch pretty much always on a hill....loads of ozzies for some reason as well... but the fact that the music is through the night as oppose to finishing at like 11 like leeds makes it class. any questions just ask, happy to help.

It opens wednesday afternoon, there is pretty much no security taking things into the camp so dont worry about glass bottles etc its fine. U do get searched going into the arena though..... To get there from the airport u have to take a bus to the main bus depot, the bus stop is directly to the right as u come out of the main terminal doors. At the main depot there are regular buses running every 15 mins up to the campsite and they are free! We stayed one night in a hostel on the tuesday, then made our way up on the wednesday. The atmosphere is class at night, people from all over europe are there, sweden, germany, france etc and theres no trouble at all. The dance tent is on till 6 a.m which is class, plus some bands are on early as well, i.e. seen bloc party at twenty to three in the morning.

Its runs on a token system a bit like T in the park, which I personally cant stand.... so u trade your cash for tokens then exchange tokens for drinks etc.

They sell pints of the local drink called Klaximotso, which is red wine and coke. It's really nice and that is about 7 euros, couple of them and your gone. Standard san miguel pint was about 5 euros. But u could just get the free bus back into the city stock up from a spar where there is loads of cheap drink, get smashed then go in/sneak some in using a standard hip-flask.......

In terms of food that is the biggest down side, theres not that many food vans... i think there was three on the whole site, think it was five euros for greasy burger and a drink. There is strangely enough a proper bar/restaurant between the two campsites, which does the standard bait and drinks, and the prices were reasonable.

We've just put up a review on our site from one of our reps who went there last year which gives you some idea of what to expect. You can check it out here.

We're just working out some details with the organisers and then we'll have the tickets up on the site in the next week or so, and our airport transfers too.

See you down the front.

Derm B)

I used eufest for my travel, v well organised would recommend.

I would also recommend heading into the city during the day and seeing the guggenheim museum though. and if u stay in the city before or after, head to the old town for where the bars are open latest.

Hey guys, a friend and I are thinking of going to Bilbao next year as its extremely cheap compared to UK festivals! Just a few questions if you don't mind;

1) how much were your flights?

2) which airport did you fly to?

3) how much did you spend overall on the festival and holiday?

Thanks guys :)

I had a bit of a different experience to /user/113341-a-kelaz/">a_kelaz by the sound of things. I went to BBK last year and while I had a decent time, there was quite a lot that I didn't like about this festival.

The festival site is stunning, on top of a big hill, overlooking Bilbao. But it's also not all that handy. You'll be lucky to find a flat bit of ground to pitch up your tent and people literally camp anywhere and everywhere! The top of the mountain is pretty much all closed off to everyone but festival goers and a few bemused looking local residents. But there's very little in the way of security. Which is kind of good, kind of bad.

As mentioned above, the festival goes on through the night and well into the morning, but the main arena doesn't actually open until about 5pm. You can go into the town during the day, as there are regular shuttle buses, but we found the queues for these were massive and didn't bother. We walked into the town each day, which took about 30-45 minutes. Baring in mind the festival is on top of a pretty big hill, it's all up hill on the way back!

While ticket price is cheap, drinks in the arena seemed pretty pricey and the food stalls are very limited. I thought it a little bizarre that they couldn't find room for more food stalls, yet had a stall selling Seat cars! There's actually a bar/restaurant on the road on top of the hill, outside the main arena, which came in pretty handy. They served a decent selection of reasonably priced food pretty much all day and night. They were also selling 5 litre kegs of Heineken at 10 Euros a go. Whilst not as cheap as you'd find in town, it was much cheaper than in the arena - you just couldn't take them in with you though!

There seemed to be a huge amount of Ozzies at the festival and a few Brits as well. We found the locals to be friendly enough, but they seemed to take themselves a little too seriously.

All in all, it was a pretty impressive festival site, cheap ticket prices and a decent line up, but IMHO, the camping was pretty poor, with not enough facilities, not much choice in the way of food and pricey drinks in the arena. There's not much to do during the day except queue for a bus or take a long walk into town. Having been to plenty of festivals in the UK, Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium, it just seemed to lack something in atmosphere, compared to others.

As for getting there, we flew from Stansted to Madrid with Ryanair and then got hire cars which we drove to Bilbao. It was a four or five hour drive, which was fine on the way there, but on the way back it did seem to drag on and on. In hindsight, it probably would have been a better idea to fly to Bilbao, as I think Easyjet do flights there from one of the UK airports.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in a hotel in Bilbao. Nice city, bit of a bollock to get food etc (certainly not that many restaurants, but there is a mall with McDonalds etc in if you're that way inclined). Lots of bars in old town though. Didn't get the bus up to festival site each day as the queue was always crazy. Just around the corner from the bus pick up point was a taxi rank (6 euros up to the site)

The site itself is great. Good sound, lots of bars (a litre of beer is 7euros, but go for the red wine and coke). Not much going in terms of food but its a really nice vibe. Nice bean bag area in main arena if u want to chill out. I even had a free massage on the first day.

Tons of ozzies there!

Overall for the money you can't go wrong. Not sure how the camping would have been but overall it was nice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well worth watching if you have 2 hours to spare! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxfG4JUYrZI

I went to BBK 2 years ago, fantastic festival, dont worry about things to do during the day, you dont have much time between music finishing and music starting. Easy to get to the town if you must. Really chilled happy little festival, couldnt recommend it more!

Well worth watching if you have 2 hours to spare! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxfG4JUYrZI

I went to BBK 2 years ago, fantastic festival, dont worry about things to do during the day, you dont have much time between music finishing and music starting. Easy to get to the town if you must. Really chilled happy little festival, couldnt recommend it more!