Bilbao BBK Live 2013

Guest Luke Routledge

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is gonna be my first festival whatsoever and I cannot wait! What makes it that bit better for me is the first day (Thursday) is gonna be on my 21st birthday which is gonna be pretty cool, as for the who's playing when I went from the Optimus Alive website as it seems to be a kind of Reading/Leeds type of set-up both have the same acts over more or less the same three days. I also tweeted them and they got back to me and said Depeche Mode would be playing the Thursday.

I'm flying to Bordeaux on the Tuesday and getting the coach in on the Wednesday with eufestivals. Just me and one mate and yeah as I said, can't wait for it. I was wondering about the drinks prices but from what I've read it seems reasonable...ish. If not we've got all day to go into Bilbao so that sounds ok. Another question for people that went, what was the weather like when you went? Obviously it's not a given if it was raining one year that it's gonna piss it down every year but just a general idea I guess.

So this is gonna be my first festival whatsoever and I cannot wait! What makes it that bit better for me is the first day (Thursday) is gonna be on my 21st birthday which is gonna be pretty cool, as for the who's playing when I went from the Optimus Alive website as it seems to be a kind of Reading/Leeds type of set-up both have the same acts over more or less the same three days. I also tweeted them and they got back to me and said Depeche Mode would be playing the Thursday.

I'm flying to Bordeaux on the Tuesday and getting the coach in on the Wednesday with eufestivals. Just me and one mate and yeah as I said, can't wait for it. I was wondering about the drinks prices but from what I've read it seems reasonable...ish. If not we've got all day to go into Bilbao so that sounds ok. Another question for people that went, what was the weather like when you went? Obviously it's not a given if it was raining one year that it's gonna piss it down every year but just a general idea I guess.

Going for the first time as well this year. Its not so much a Reading/Leeds type thing where the lineup are the same but rotate days I think they have just booked who ever is about. From what I have heard there are bars at the festival which are reasonably priced (something about coke and wine?) This really doesnt count but after looking at videos of last years it looked like lovely weather!

Went to this festival last year and loved it, thinking of going again this year. Pretty much wall to wall sunshine, but seeing as its up in the hills the temperature is bearable. Awesome views across the city and camping up in the trees, certainly beats sleeping in the middle of a marsh at a UK festival.

Booze-wise it was €6 for a pint, and that coke-wine combo was pretty pricey as well. The music starts at about 6, so you can cruise into town whenever you wake up from the previous night’s madness (DJs til 8am) and get the free shuttle in town, or walk if you are feeling particularly brave. Once there, you can either walk about seeing the sights like the Guggenheim, or hop on the metro to the beautiful old town or the beach. If you plan on staying on in Bilbao afterwards and don't fancy dragging your suitcase to the festival, you can leave it in a luggage drop off handily located in the bus depot next to the shuttle bus, it only costs a few € as well.

Food wise, I wouldn't recommend buying it at the festival. I didn't find that restaurant last year (nor the showers, but that's what the sea is for...) so would give that it a go this year. In town there is a big shopping centre, and on the top floor there is a supermarket with cheap booze and food galore you can take for the campsite. San Miguel was about 80 cents a litre, and I recall buying schnapps for about €2. Happy days. Old town is the best place to go for food, they do the 'menu del dia' in a lot of the restaurants which is basically a cracking three course dinner and a bottle of wine for about £10.

In terms of getting to the festival from Bilbao airport, there is an airport bus which takes you right into town. From there, you can get the bus from next to the Athletic Bilbao (San Mames) stadium and that'll take you up into the festival.

Lineup wise I'm enoying last years more at the moment, but still pleanty of time to get some more decent names in. And for €85 I'm not complaining considering what you pay for mud-fests in the UK.

Hope this is of use folks!

Edited by Man_On_The_Boon

If Foals don't get announced I will roar like a wounded stag. Everything Everything better be there too. Oxygen Festival is back on this year though (Leeds to T in the Park's Reading). Seeing as they share a bill, the acts will be nipping from Scotland to Ireland and vice-versa that weekend, so it'll be harder to fit in a trip to Bilbao. Got about 6 or 7 of their acts last year though so here's hoping.

If Foals don't get announced I will roar like a wounded stag. Everything Everything better be there too. Oxegen Festival is back on this year though (Leeds to T in the Park's Reading). Seeing as they share a bill, the acts will be nipping from Scotland to Ireland and vice-versa that weekend, so it'll be harder to fit in a trip to Bilbao. Got about 6 or 7 of their acts last year though so here's hoping.

If Foals don't get announced I will roar like a wounded stag. Everything Everything better be there too. Oxegen Festival is back on this year though (Leeds to T in the Park's Reading). Seeing as they share a bill, the acts will be nipping from Scotland to Ireland and vice-versa that weekend, so it'll be harder to fit in a trip to Bilbao. Got about 6 or 7 of their acts last year though so here's hoping.