Download 2012 Official Rumour Thread

Guest luckysalt

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have said that Soundgarden were as big as Pearl Jam. If for nothing else, Pearl Jam haven't been on a huge hiatus. I think they'd maybe be big enough to headline a festival but it would need to be with 2 stronger headline acts. (IE if they played reading, they would headline the friday).

I'm just not sure where this leap comes from. A band that struggles to fill academy gigs splits and returns to headline festivals. I guess it work for FNM. :)

All these fests announcing Soundgarden if Andy hasnt booked them and they end up not doing any fests its clear that hes being tight with the budget, if we end up with Marilyn Manson instead im gunna be fucked off.

Wish if Download did have them they would just announce. Hate waiting building hopes up and then being underwhelmed

Just because Matt is in (Sweden I think?) on the saturday of Sonisphere, doesn't mean he can't make a quick flight to knebworth on the Friday or Sunday, most bands are all over Europe on festival weekends. If they were offered a headline slot, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a couple of hours on a plane on a day off :P

Also notice how every festival that has announced Soundgarden so far are in countries that don't have sonispheres other than Sweden, which is probably going to be the same weekend as Sonisphere UK again anyways so wouldn't be able to share them.

I'm still not really sure why you made the point that you did as a year ago he said they weren't big enough to headline, now they're too big to sub. You seem to be disagreeing while i) not knowing what I'm referring to, and ii) offering proof that actually agrees with me.

You didn't make the point about the album being poor in your original comment so no reason for my reply to be anything to do with that. I may well be agreeing with you but it's for different reasons, nothing wrong with that.

Matt Cameron is playing elsewhere with Pearl Jam the weekend of Soni. How is this not common knowledge by now?

It is but a day of Soni is still free. It might only be the Friday though and as said, Soundgarden headlining after The Big 4 did this year would be considered a step down so the rather unlikely Download appaearance now or so it may seem or R&L. But at R&L, if they are subbing other Europe places including Germany where apparantly or so is said on these boards they are huge then a subbing slot at R&L but still on an exclusive UK show is feasible. I've thought as well, as much as people saying about them being a R&L crowd band, many Soni/Download goers will want to see them.

Sounds like Soundgarden will be doing a European tour later in the year as on Sweden rocks website the bio for Soundgarden says

''This is the band’s first Swedish concert since 1996 and also their only one in Sweden this summer.''

Weird it says summer not year. Surely they would say year if there wasn't talk of a tour later in the year.

It's just too obvious to be a coincidence, Soundgarden are announcing European festivals before the PJ tour, one of which is the same weekend as Download. It all falls into place, the only issues would be whether they'd sub (normally no but I think they would to a band like Sabbath) and AC tweeting that they're bigger than a sub band (and he talks shit and tries to be cryptic half the time anyway). I think the chances of Matt Cameron playing a Soundgarden gig during the PJ tour is remote and I doubt they'd come back at the end of the Summer just to do R&L (unless they're doing a proper tour around that time, but even then it doesn't mean they'd play a festival).