Kendal Calling 2012

Guest Flaminglippy

Summer Soaking: Two Week Washout Forecast

The first half of July is expected to remain unsettled, with no sign of sunshine and hot temperatures until the second part of the month - potentially in time for the London Olympic Games.

Sky News weather presenter Isobel Lang said: "This week has already been rather wet thanks to low pressure and there is little sign of improvement at least for the next 10 to 14 days.

"Anyone hoping for a break in the weather may have to wait until the latter half of the month when there are signs that high pressure may bring some sunnier days.

"For now we are stuck in a rut with the jet stream further south than usual."

Ms Lang warned of the risks associated with the predicted downpours.

"Apart from the fact that the weather is just downright dull and miserable for a lot of the time, there are more serious consequences with the potential for dangerous driving conditions and from flooding."

She added: "During Thursday, Friday and Saturday northern parts of Britain and Ireland could see prolonged and heavy downpours and some flooding.

"Low pressure over southern areas will bring sunshine and heavy, slow-moving showers."

The wet weather has already caused delays to some of this year's big summer sporting fixtures, including Wimbledon and England Test matches.

According to the Met Office, double the average monthly rain fell across the UK last month, making it the wettest June since records began.

June saw long, prolonged rainfall and short but extremely heavy showers, and ended with freak storms which battered areas of the Midlands and the North East.

The exceptional amount of rain caused floods in Wales and parts of England.

It was also one of the dullest and coolest Junes ever, according to the Met.

June was the second month this year to see record-breaking amounts of rain, with April also the wettest, according to records dating back more than a century to 1910.

So far this summer only there has only been one spell of prolonged fine weather during the second half of May.

The UK's record rainfall comes as the US experiences violent storms and a heatwave that have seen soaring temperatures kill at least 22 people and left millions without power.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thought i'd put my first post here - really enjoyed watching you guys giving your thoughts over the last few weeks. My first KC this year as well as my little girls first festival. Normally do a couple of festivals a year - just realised first was 26 years ago !!

you going to see Dizzy ? didnt think he'd be your scene for some reason. Im still waiting for other alternatives but i'll probably head to watch Tribes in the calling out when he's on.

caught a bit of him at glastonbury the other year, well when i say a bit i actually mean the last 30 seconds of his set, that felt enough for me ! each to their own tho

plenty of other stages to check out when the final line up comes out. I've given up on the clashfinder idea as it seems as tho the final line ups are gonna be too late to do it justice.

whats everyone think ? announcement today ?

even if its to tell us what the "woodland area" is !

however having checked the kendal calling site im not sure whats going on, they seem to have reverted back to 2010 on the attractions page with croissant neuf in all its glory, stating that the 2011 attraction info is coming soon . keep up lads its 2012 now !

Edited by ramragon

I have seen Dizzy a couple of times for various reasons. I'm not a massive fan - generally find him a bit "shouty" - but his live set is great fun if you approach it in the right mindset. Often with some interesting samples that help you get into it.

This time I will be looking for something else to see at that time though - I've seen enough of him now.

Yeah can't wait. The fact that it is so compact is one of the many things I'm looking forward to. No missing bands walking between stages and easy enough to head back to the tent for whatever reason.

Edited by cammie81

Plenty of new names there to make me get the headphones on and plough through over the next few weeks. Lot of work to do and not a lot of time. Some good names, Trophy Wife, Vinyl Jacket, Victorian Dad. But Mike Joyce appearing means there's no chance of the Mozz drifting through (not that there was anyway). Wonder if we'll have another 'surprise set' like the La's last year. I'll go for Orange Juice in the Calling Out, Sunday afty. Not a chance in hell, mind

Love him or hate him, the Rasal always puts on a cracking show. Really gets the crowd going and changes the tracks enough in a live setting to keep it interesing for fans of different genres of music.

Plenty going on though it seems if you had never heard of any bands, just to wander around and get lost in it all and discover some new hidden gems.

I'm loving the Sunday main stae 90s extravaganza, and to end the weekend with A.Skillz is going to be a corker.

Trying to sort out our fancy dress now!!!

Well happy with that. Ian Broudie did a great acoustic set at IOW

Defintely looking for me like Friday is the Calling Out day, Saturday is a flitting between the Calling Out and Main Stage (heard some of the Catfish and The Bottlemen stuff, very good)and Sunday is Main Stage day.

Just hope the weathers OK now or the Calling Out will just be full of people seeking shelter rather than musical enlightment...

Was hoping to be having plenty of time just wandering round but its looking like theres too much I really want to see to be able to do that...

Edited by Flaminglippy

I've mentioned the lightening seeds on here a few times, great sing along band live. Little comets are really good as well.

Another band that's been mentioned on here before are Sound Of Guns, always great live and put so much energy in their performances. First time I saw them, as support for the sadly split up Detroit Social Club at the academy 2 in Newcastle, Metcalf the SOG lead singer scaled the bar at the side of the stage and proceeded to continue his set from about 10 foot, on the bar roof swinging around on the scaffolding and hanging out above the crowd.

I can imagine him having fun headlining the house party tent, I'll recommend them to anyone whos never heard them

Hi Guys,

Been reading the forum since about page 30+ but only just decided to post. Havent been to KC before even tho I live less than 30 mins away (I know thats criminal but im normally out of the county), so this year is my first year and will be my missus first EVER festival and first ever camping experience (shes led a very sheltered life i know). Im sure itl be a gudun.

Weather wise il be packing for the worst as I know what its like up here. It is called the lake district for a reason, and bearly a day goes by without some sort of rain/hail/wrath of god stuff. Although im not sure if it can actually rain anymore than it has over the past week or so!

Hopefully il meet afew of you lot there for a beer.

Keep up the good work.