2013 Glasto 'Get fit' thread

Guest geebus

Me too, My tendons and feet were shattered with mud wading, and we were in campervan east, the hill of death usually fine was a bit more of a issue coming back at night with tired limbs. 2010 much better.

I did a 4 mile. Walk in the Brecon Beacons Saturday, indeed I may even get my bike out

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about lunch time exercise LondonTom?

I always felt it was a decent incentive as the normal option was staying in the office rather than sitting down in front of the TV etc.

Eat a Sandwich or similar before/after if that's ok with your work, or even while out - especially if it's for a walk rather than a run/swim etc :).

My vague plan is to try and get fit enough to do the Ben Nevis mountain bike triathlon next September - (1.9k swimming, 90k cycling, 19.5k running - which is to the top of Ben Nevis and down again!) Not because I'll particularly enjoy it nor enjoy training for it, but because it's decent overall fitness goal.

Unfortunately my swimming is terrible, so need to work on technique a lot as well as fitness.

What about lunch time exercise LondonTom?

I always felt it was a decent incentive as the normal option was staying in the office rather than sitting down in front of the TV etc.

Eat a Sandwich or similar before/after if that's ok with your work, or even while out - especially if it's for a walk rather than a run/swim etc smile.png.

Could always walk out and pick up something to eat from a sandwich/cafe 20 mins away, eat and walk back smile.png.

Oh and maybe cycle to swimming for double exercise!

I have been guilty in the past of using my electric bycycle to get to the gym for a cycling class... though a motivation issue, perhaps.

I am up for this , I am 5"9 and weighed about 16 stone 9 before October last year and got my self down to 12 13 stone for my holiday. I have lost my way since August though but started swimming again but have not dared weigh myself.

I would like to get down to 11 and half stone before Glastonbury which is possible but I need to weigh myself (scared)

Me in late 2011

me2011.jpg

June 2012

me2012.jpg

That's not an entirely bad idea actually!!! Most days i eat out at places as I just like to be completely away from the office and enjoy the walk about the places...so would be a good excuse to switch to sandwiches and I'd have the time!

There's one down the road for me, but doesn't seem to run to my time scale between its classes for kids etc/womens only sessions...to be fair I'd probs go to the one further away when i learn to drive just as it has better times. If it opened an hour earlier it would work alot better for me tongue.png

I'm going to put serious effort in this year, as additional targets (motivation) I have signed up to do the Great Manchester Run (3rd time) and am going to sign up for the Great Manchester Swim (1 mile open water) which are both on the same day... wanting to maily get fitter and lose a few stone and a few inches

I'm going to put serious effort in this year, as additional targets (motivation) I have signed up to do the Great Manchester Run (3rd time) and am going to sign up for the Great Manchester Swim (1 mile open water) which are both on the same day... wanting to maily get fitter and lose a few stone and a few inches

Hey everyone, I have been reading this forum for a few years but not posted, I am signed up but It's easiest to log in with Facebook :) I had the best and worst time ever at my first Glastonbury last year, it was the worst because of he amount of physical effort we had to put in, never carried so much and walked so far! I had not long had a baby last year so was carrying some extra weigh, I have lost that now and am back to 8.5stone I am 5.5 tall. But I really want to get fitter for next year. I need to fit it into looking after 4 kids and family and a self employed business so this looks great to come and chat to people with similar goals :) I have used fitness pal app to help me :)

Hey everyone, I have been reading this forum for a few years but not posted, I am signed up but It's easiest to log in with Facebook smile.png I had the best and worst time ever at my first Glastonbury last year, it was the worst because of he amount of physical effort we had to put in, never carried so much and walked so far! I had not long had a baby last year so was carrying some extra weigh, I have lost that now and am back to 8.5stone I am 5.5 tall. But I really want to get fitter for next year. I need to fit it into looking after 4 kids and family and a self employed business so this looks great to come and chat to people with similar goals smile.png I have used fitness pal app to help me smile.png

Personally I think if your serious about losing weight it needs to be via a method that works for you. Getting yourself slim is a long term thing so forcing youself to do/eat something you hate everyday is never going to work for more than a few weeks.

Personally I need to loose about 4 stone and I intend to do it the old fashioned way of eating healthy, home cooked fresh food and more excercise. I've just bought a new bike to get back into mountain biking and as a half way reward for losing 2 stone I'm going to get myself some surfing lessons. This should serve as a bit of a goal, a treat for doing well and a new form of exercise to kick start the rest of the weight loss!

Having a baby boy and not wanting him to be a fat kid is really whats motivating me to be healthier though.

Well after dieting since January I managed to hit my goal weight this morning. I'm 6ft and I've gone from 17st 10lb to 12st 7lb so just over 5st off. It's felt like a hell of a long slog but I feel and look so much better that it's definitely been worth it.

I've not followed any sort of diet regime, I just ate fresh healthy food, cut down on drinking (my wife being pregnant has really helped with this!!) and got out and did loads of exercise. I did plenty of walking, got back on my bike, took up and then found an absolute love for surfing and I play 5 a side once a week.

Having shunned most forms of excercise for years I love getting out and doing stuff now and I feel rubbish if I don't do something at least twice a week. The turn around in my attitude and energy levels has just been amazing and it's not something that I thought would ever happen but it feels superb to be thin again for the first time in 10 years.

It was hard work and definitely worth it and if A lazy sod like me can do it then you can all do it too!!

I'll post some before and after pics when I can get online at home!!

My BMI is about 24, so "normal" weight, but I'd like to be a more svelte BMI of 22 by December and stay there for Glastonbury; I need to lose 12lbs for this. Trying to increase the amount of hill-walking I do along with the occasional multi-day camping trip and I shouldn't have too many problems getting around the festival. Turning 50 just after Glasto 2013 so I need to be fit or my old bones will start to creak.

Well after dieting since January I managed to hit my goal weight this morning. I'm 6ft and I've gone from 17st 10lb to 12st 7lb so just over 5st off. It's felt like a hell of a long slog but I feel and look so much better that it's definitely been worth it.

I've not followed any sort of diet regime, I just ate fresh healthy food, cut down on drinking (my wife being pregnant has really helped with this!!) and got out and did loads of exercise. I did plenty of walking, got back on my bike, took up and then found an absolute love for surfing and I play 5 a side once a week.

Having shunned most forms of excercise for years I love getting out and doing stuff now and I feel rubbish if I don't do something at least twice a week. The turn around in my attitude and energy levels has just been amazing and it's not something that I thought would ever happen but it feels superb to be thin again for the first time in 10 years.

It was hard work and definitely worth it and if A lazy sod like me can do it then you can all do it too!!

I'll post some before and after pics when I can get online at home!!

Edited by markeee

Yes I think weight wise I am ok, over a stone lighter than last Glastonbury :) so I am really going to get fitter by walking and swimming, anything to help me last longer on that hike, it took us 5 hours last time as of parked so far away, e9 and camped in pylon so next time I want to be ready as we collapsed in bed by 1am,lol

Another one in the club :D I got VERY big last year and at my biggest was 16 stone. I lost 3 stone and went to Florida in Feb where I put on a stone again. I've never managed to shift it - I go to the gym 6 nights a week so my physical fitness is good - not great but good. I average a mile run, 15 minutes up hill, 10 minutes rowing and crosstraining every night so I don't do too bad there. My biggest downfall is food - I had it nailed before I went to Florida but I've never got properly in to it since as I haven't had that "goal". Well, Glasto is my goal now so happy dieting :D I don't diet - I just go to the gym and burn off my breakfast and lunch calories and then eat whatever I want for tea, albeit a smaller portion. It worked a treat last time - I just need to get back in to it!

Another one in the club :D I got VERY big last year and at my biggest was 16 stone. I lost 3 stone and went to Florida in Feb where I put on a stone again. I've never managed to shift it - I go to the gym 6 nights a week so my physical fitness is good - not great but good. I average a mile run, 15 minutes up hill, 10 minutes rowing and crosstraining every night so I don't do too bad there. My biggest downfall is food - I had it nailed before I went to Florida but I've never got properly in to it since as I haven't had that "goal". Well, Glasto is my goal now so happy dieting :D I don't diet - I just go to the gym and burn off my breakfast and lunch calories and then eat whatever I want for tea, albeit a smaller portion. It worked a treat last time - I just need to get back in to it!

Yes I think weight wise I am ok, over a stone lighter than last Glastonbury smile.png so I am really going to get fitter by walking and swimming, anything to help me last longer on that hike, it took us 5 hours last time as of parked so far away, e9 and camped in pylon so next time I want to be ready as we collapsed in bed by 1am,lol

Edited by markeee

Yeh I do change it up a bit smile.png I aim to do 5-800 calories a night depending on how much I've eaten/how knackered I am. I run every night and walk up a hill but some nights I'll walk say 200 up, others it's only a 50 calorie sprint type thing. I hit a huge plateau as I done the same thing at the gym until about 2 months ago, now I've changed it up I've noticed a big difference in my toning and firmness - just not weight loss. That's my fault though and the food I eat.