Shangri La / Arcadia queing...

Guest RedTaff

It was bad. I was camping at the crew camping at Undle and because of the night route, our lives were made difficult as well! It was a nightmare the first night, as we were told to go around cabaret, but they had closed the gates there... So we were lead around West Holts. And let me tell you, I was tired and grumpy by then already.

They definitely need to sort that one out because it just doesn't work.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big problem on crew getting around there wasn't the plan, but how it filtered down to the people on the ground. I know Head of Security was well pissed off at the crew being kept from those fields on the first night, even when they'd published a plan of crew gates for them.

From what I experienced, the 'gold wristband only' problem was fixed from then on.

The big problem on crew getting around there wasn't the plan, but how it filtered down to the people on the ground. I know Head of Security was well pissed off at the crew being kept from those fields on the first night, even when they'd published a plan of crew gates for them.

From what I experienced, the 'gold wristband only' problem was fixed from then on.

Edited by paulo999

Personally what I hated about it most was the big illuminated scrolling signs everywhere giving up to date information on the queue - makes the place look like a bus station.

Aside from that, Shangri La and Arcadia are the two most overrated things on site - those guys have one idea between them and they just flog it incessantly, I don't know what people see in it. They should move the common, block 9 and unfairground to the other end of the site and let people queue for 2 hours to pretend they're in a pseudo hedonistic post-apocalyptic nightmare if that's what they want to do, but don't put big flashy signs everywhere telling me about it.

after a bit of thought. the one way system worked not well but it needs a bit of a tweak. it was the first year i'm sure that in the two years they have got there will be many changes. both to the queuing and to the SE area.

Went up on the early hours of Sunday morning to the start of the queueing system, about 2.30-3am and the signs said area closed and someone shouting its closed, go to your beds!

Went down to Bella's field and got in to the area no problem and it wasn't that busy :blink:

From what I heard, there was no 2 hr queue at all? So why were the signs saying this? Me and another mate are pretty big Orbital fans and were pretty pissed off to miss their set, even more so when we heard the queue wasn't a fraction as bad as what we were being told at the entrance to it. :angry:

I'm not really sure about it tbh. Friday night we planned to go early cos we didnt really care about the headliners and got there at like 10:50 and had to wait until they opened it, why was it not just open the whole time... But apart from that all was fine and a great (wet) night had by all.

On saturday, although obvs we weren't too fussed about it, we were around that area and thought we might as well try and get in via the railway track at like 11:30 and we just walked straight through, there wasn't even anyone trying to stop us. Does that not completely defeat the idea of the one way system if nobody's stopping you getting in at that time???

Personally what I hated about it most was the big illuminated scrolling signs everywhere giving up to date information on the queue - makes the place look like a bus station.

Aside from that, Shangri La and Arcadia are the two most overrated things on site - those guys have one idea between them and they just flog it incessantly, I don't know what people see in it. They should move the common, block 9 and unfairground to the other end of the site and let people queue for 2 hours to pretend they're in a pseudo hedonistic post-apocalyptic nightmare if that's what they want to do, but don't put big flashy signs everywhere telling me about it.

Every year I think to myself that I would liek to spend more time at shangri-la etc. Every year I dont. This year, me and a few others skipped sat night headliners to go to Arcadia, had a brilliant night, watched the show at midnight, stayed for Orbital then wandered off to camp then stone circle.

Arcadia wasnt busy at all! As we left at about 3am, the big signs were saying it was all shut and the people with megaphones were shouting to the 'crowds' outside to go to bed. It really wasnt busy in Arcadia at all! Very odd.

Was in ther eevery night without quing!

Just cut through the stone circle into dragon field camping and walk straight into the unfairground! easy :)

Getting home was a different matter though as we could not cut through Avalon!

I forgot the smiley. Was only joking about :D

The 1 way system was rubbish though. On the saturday we got in the back way when Orbital were doing their thing in Arcadia and the side of the field we entered from was more or less empty. I heard that there were big queues to get in at that time.

I forgot the smiley. Was only joking about :D

The 1 way system was rubbish though. On the saturday we got in the back way when Orbital were doing their thing in Arcadia and the side of the field we entered from was more or less empty. I heard that there were big queues to get in at that time.

The gap between King's Meadow and top of Dragon's past the Underground Piano Bar (or what was left of it after the rain this year), they didn't block. Bit further down, gap through to middle of Dragon's from Craft Field they did fence off, but was fairly easy to blag through saying you were camped behind in Dragon's. I excpect whole of Dragon's will be crew next year which would close this shortcut.

The gap between King's Meadow and top of Dragon's past the Underground Piano Bar (or what was left of it after the rain this year), they didn't block. Bit further down, gap through to middle of Dragon's from Craft Field they did fence off, but was fairly easy to blag through saying you were camped behind in Dragon's. I excpect whole of Dragon's will be crew next year which would close this shortcut.

Saturday:

After Coldplay, went back to the tent (camped in the grassy area not far from BBC Introducing stage) for a bit of a sit down and collect a few cans. Set off about an hour later and by the time we got to the queue it had stretched right to the entrance where the band were playing. Certainly couldnt be arsed queueing for 2 hours so I decided to go for a random wander elsewhere. However the mate I was with gambled on going to the far exit nearer towards the Park area. He walked straight in!

Sunday:

Was near the front for Queens, and after they finished I decided to go to Shangri-La straight away. Headed over there and to my surprise there was no queue what so ever. Just groups of people casually wandering down the long winding path. Ideal! Went straight through to Shangri-La to explore - there were obviously a few people there but certainly wasn't too busy. Then made my way through the different areas including catching the Arcadia fire show. It filled up over time but it never felt too crowded.

Basically Sunday night was ideal, especially after the disappointment of leaving it too late on Saturday. I guess it surprised me as I expected it to be rammed immediately after the bands considering it was everyones last night. Maybe having watched Queens meant I'd beaten the Beyonce crowd there?!

We headed there straight after The Chemical Bros on saturday. We hit quite a big crush before we even got to the "Zig Zag" gating system. After being jostled about for 20 mins or so, Security appeared to start letting people thru which got things moving slowly.

We were being told that waiting time was 2hrs, but as we wanted to see Orbital we decided to chance it and wait - some people didnt and large amounts of them started to head out, security wouldnt let them thru the gates to head back, so they had to push there way out past the massive queue that had formed behind us making things a lot worse than they needed to be.

Some people by this time seemed to have had enough of waiting patiently like the rest of us and barged thru the barriers, which was ridiculous as it seriously only saved them about 4mins of queuing time, it was dangerous because if anyone had fallen over the collapsed barrier they would have been trampled in the mental stampede that followed - this was right in the middle of the "zig zag" area. It took security a couple of minutes to calm things down.

As soon as we got thru the gates we walked straight in completely unhindered and I reckon from leaving The Other Stage to hitting Arcadia took us about 75minutes - god knows where Security got "2hours queueing" from - they must say that to try and deter people from joining the queue.