Aggressive and rude girls pushing past

Guest LittlemissC

I didn't start this thread to be negative - this behaviour upset me and caused a lot of unnecessary aggro amongst the majority of totally sound folks in crowds. I still had an amazing festival, but would dearly love to find a way to let people know this isn't ok without having to lose the rag with them. Being polite had absolutely no effect in my experience.

Reviewing the best bits and not so good bits of a festival is healthy IMO - unless you're a terminal moaner and of course that's different.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't start this thread to be negative - this behaviour upset me and caused a lot of unnecessary aggro amongst the majority of totally sound folks in crowds. I still had an amazing festival, but would dearly love to find a way to let people know this isn't ok without having to lose the rag with them. Being polite had absolutely no effect in my experience.

Reviewing the best bits and not so good bits of a festival is healthy IMO - unless you're a terminal moaner and of course that's different.

I witnessed a bit of this at the huge crowd for Jessie J (who was awesome BTW ;)) but it in no way affected my mood because unlike those of you moaning here, the only reason they are doing this is because whereas previously they would have just walked down the front and fill up the plentiful space there, they now have to negotiate a literal maze of chairs and other obstructions. And those of you who say get there earlier are wrong too. Why should people have to stand trough acts they don't like just so that idiots can sit in completely inappropriately placed chairs all friggin' day. Some of the bargers were showing a bit of attitude but there is nothing wrong with that. I'd have been the same if I wanted to get to the front in a hurry and was being obstructed. Politeness is only appropriate if you are dealing with reasonable people. Idiots in chairs acting all self righteous and preventing the natural dynamics of the crowd from functioning are not reasonable people so don't deserve politeness.

Forget the "Aggressive and rude girls" and turn your hate towards the selfish idiots on their arses all day, so these girls can get to the front when they should be without barging into the rest of us.

Inconsiderate? Nah I just stepped back into my spot after the pushed me away... be damned if their arms are in the way.

They have to learn that it's not a God given right that they are allowed to be a the front of every gig! I don't mind when the is space in front of me and clearly space in the crowd but when the isn't I get a lil nasty and teach them little spoilt brats a thing or to... it's the complacent people to blame when this happens more often then not... stand up for yourselves!

How should I stand up for myself when leading this group of young ladies to their friends and someone in the crowd tries to intentionally split everyone up?

Perhaps I should escalate the problem and give them a decent shove, after they've intentionally 'assaulted' one of my friends?

Take a step back and it actually seems a bit sinister, trying to split up young probably drunk girls from their friends if nothing else.

Had you considered that by breaking up the said chain you are MUCH more likely to have people stop near you, rather than continue forward to where there's much more space?

I don't see why said girls should be at the front of every gig?

Just because you don't want to be at the front, why should that mean anyone else shouldn't?

The weather doesn't help. Last year was a scorcher and this year wasn't that bad, consequently Glastonbury starts to appeal to 'festival tourists'. They see the idilic TV footage and think 'lets go'.

What we need is 5 days of rain in 2013, a proper mud bath with canoes etc This would help reset the balance and discourage the festival tourists, leaving just the real Glastonbury lovers!

Glasto spirit? Ha, not from me.

I expect exactly this sort of thing, thus my cynicism of the concept ;).

I've seen loads of people get split up in crowds at Glastonbury. Possibly by people such as yourself.

Some have been left pretty distressed by it and in some cases ruined what they were hoping would be an amazing experience, turning it in to a nightmarish one.

I'm a well built just under 6' confident bloke and so have no real problems being in large crowds alone. If I was a 5'2" girl, I'd probably be a lot more worried without my friends.

How close exactly are you talking?

In my experience, until you get to the front few rows, there's always some space to be found. If you are talking the front 'clog' of people (how big depends on the band, etc), then it's so crowded that having a few more people in won't make any difference. Pretty much never see such streams of young girls trying to get through when there's genuinely no space.

Almost exclusively, the people that tell me there's no space further forward are those standing further back in a tight spot when there's loads of spaces further forward.

So many times I've been told this at the side of the barrier, to find there's space to lie on the floor inside the barrier if you so desired.

Oh, now rucksacks in crowds is a whole 'nother thing... worse on people standing around, but not great on people trying to move through a crowd.

Of course you could say the same about ladies with large breasts, but somehow it seems that's never bothered me nearly as much :P.

I must have had a very lucky time at the weekend because I remember remarking to my friend that I loved how curteous everyone was being. I'm not saying people didn't bump into me, but they said sorry. When i bumped into folks my apologies were well recieved. when i got stuck in the mud, folks helped me out.

I got pushed into the tree by the Glade trying to get out of the mud on the Saturday evening- asked some guys for help and they swore at me and pushed me even more. I was literally shaking when I got out, thought I was going to get crushed.

So yeah, it's not just the girls.

Went from Arcadia > Shangri-La on Sunday night...3am approx. Got into the "main" stage bit in SL, and as we got there, a group of girls were dancing near the entrance.

Unbeknown to me (and everyone else) they had about 6 rucksacks next to them...when i accidently tripped on one and went to apologise one screamed "Watch my f**king bag you fat w*nker" and shoved me. She shouted it so loud most people including my friends turned round having heard here. I would have probably had a pop back had I not been so tired by that point (Was on my last legs by then)

How stupid was she to think that people won't fall over her bag in the entrance at 4am? <_<

I kept noticing that a lot people with their anti-social behaviour, had traders wristbands...presumably a lot of them from the burger vans dotted about the site!

Think the problem was Paul Simon was his popularity for an afternoon slot.

Generally find a lot of people sitting around there on a sunny Sunday, so doesn't mix well if a load of people then DO turn up there for the music too.

I encountered the most awful pushing and barging whilst watching Lee Scratch Perry. I'm only 5.1' but I'm damned if anyone thinks that they are going to deliberately barge into me and get away with it. I find stepping on the heel of their shoe as they barge through a reminder of how annoying it is to have personal space invaded lol

On the upside most people were polite and helpful and offering assistance to others stuck in the mud. Saturday night opposite the Kazbah a poor girl was completely stuck in the mud and 2 guys ended up getting stuck helping her out but they persevered.

Oh and I meant to add to an above post - escalating a perceived nastiness by being nastier only works until you find someone that IS nastier than you.

Don't expect sympathy on here if you end up lying on the ground with a broken nose because you've taken on someone willing to take it to a level worse than you.

I've recently started doing 'Krav Maga' - a violent self defence system used to incapacitate people in real world situations.

The first thing they teach? Take every measure possible to avoid any kind of aggression, including running away as fast as possible.

Aggression rarely solves problems to my mind.

If you go to the front it's what you get

Barging past elsewhere is different. My tactic is politely ask them not to then if they are rude in response give them a shove (if muddy) or follow and 'accidentally' whack them in the back of their knee with my bag. It is amazing how quickly they crumble to the ground!

I do think that there is a problem with spoilt middle class kids who have no responsibility or maturity cos mummy and daddy take care of everything for them. A weekend away with their teeny friends and they think it's all about them cos at home it is. Challenge them, swear and shove back - a bit of grit in their lives will do them good.

I was openly offered drugs during a Pyramid set - I forget which one. Morrissey maybe.

Also, drug dealing in the stone circle was more overt than it's ever been since the superfence went up, in my perception.

Admittedly, nobody wandering through the main campsites yelling "GET YOUR GENUINE JAMAICAN ROCKY" at the top of their voice, which was quite an eye opener for my first ever Glasto.