What was the greatest 90s 'Britpop' band?

Guest peterdb3492

58 members have voted

1. 1. What was the greatest 90s 'Britpop' band?

• Oasis
    • Blur
    • Pulp
    • Suede
    • Manic Street Preachers
    • Stereophonics
    • Supergrass
    • Ocean Colour Scene
    • The Charlatans
    • The Verve
    • Anybody I've Missed
    • Shed Seven
    • Gene
    • Cast

Manics, definitely. Pretty much my favourite band of all time, with a huge and diverse back catalogue, ranging from anthemic pop (Everything Must Go) to nihilistic punk (Generation Terrorists) to gritty post-punk (The Holy Bible) to a bit of everything (Send Away The Tigers). Plus more people need to be aware of just how great JDB is at guitar, he's unbelievably talented.

Out of the "big three" of Blur, Oasis and Pulp, it's a tough choice but I'd say Pulp slightly edge it for me, just because This Is Hardcore is such a magnificent album.

Edited by VCK

Pulp.

Manic Street Preachers were never Brit Pop - nor were The Verve really.

------

As for best '90s British Rock' band - I'd normally say the Manics - but I just saw an absolutely special Pulp set two days ago, so err...

------

Also, would 'HAVE' not would 'OF' people!!

Edited by Vacant0

I don't think the Manics, Charlatans, Stereophoinics or Verve should be on that list, also Suede were thrown in there at the start but never really fitted in.

Of those left I think it has to be Blur really, even though they were prominent before and after Britpop they were still in the thick of it at the time.

The Charlatans went through baggy and shoegaze (sort of) first, The Verve were around before, I guess they could fit in as bands who had most of their success during/because of Britpop but they weren't entrenched in the scence like Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Cast, Menswear, Shed 7, OCS, etc. were.