The days/stages/times thread

Guest Infinite Jest

I'm usually really blind about things like this so I've probably just not seen them on the lineup but it looks like Among Brothers and The Cornshed Sisters. I haven't listened to either of them before to be honest...

There may be others who I haven't noticed also!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main clash for me is Lykke Li v the Walkmen.

The line up is really strong when you look at it finally written out like that.

re: JNewsome - I will probably be heading home early anyway Sunday unfortunately, so this doesn't bother me at all. I do quite like her though.

WHERE IS THE WOODS STAGE GOING TO BE!?

I have lots of clashes - when you want to see about half the bill, that's kind of inevitable...

Friday is a tad light for me - don't like Beirut or The Walkmen and hate The Fall - plus two of my must sees, Caitlin Rose and Emmanuel and the Fear clash (and overlap with a third, Dry the River)....But Joan as Policewoman into Lykke Li into She Keeps Bees will give me a good girly trio (though would be better the other way around).

Saturday is gorgeous.....Deadly Syndrome....Treefight for Sunlight....Dan Mangan.....Phosphorescent....Gruff Rhys....Other lives....The love language....Okkervil River. Only one small overlap and a couple of breaks should I need them. Could be one of my best EOTR days yet!

Sunday is a train wreck - there are 26 acts slotted and I want to see 17 of them!!! And the Laura Marling v Leisure Society v Kurt Vile v Lia Ices roadblock closely followed by Midlake v Josh T Pearson V Wild Nothing v Doug Paisley. Gawd knows what I'll do......but then I have John Grant as my main headliner......plus the gentle beauty of Joanna Newsom should I feel that way inclined. btw......I do think there'll be something in the Tipi at that time - my bet is that the "repeat/covers" sets will start early..........if not we shall have to have a party in the campsite!

One question....anyone got any idea what this "paper cinema" thing is?!?!?

Looking at my 2010 programme site map and struggling to see where they'd put it. If they expand the site deeper into the Woods, the stage could be about as far away from the Garden stage as the Big Top is, but there's no way there could be enough room for several thousand people. The only thing I can think of is that the Tipi has been moved into the woods and the Woods stage put in its place, but then the name wouldn't make any sense!

What do people think of the possibility of Midlake hopping over to the Garden Stage to join John Grant as his band after their set? Can't be anymore than a 15 minute walk ;)

Would also like to point out how excited I am about Gruff Rhys followed by Wooden Ships followed by M. Ward followed by Mogwai - easily one of the best sequences of bands in EOTR history! (especially after how good Gruff was at Truck Festival last weekend)

Edited by ljsawyer

I only had a few must sees and they all seem to clash but then on the bright side no one clashes with OR.

It seems like a crazy idea but the woods stage could be where the car parking usually is backing onto the woods???

No sign of the tickets yet either! Why has GTG gone quiet all of a sudden, is there a connection???

Edited by perfectpassion

I notice in the interview he gave, Simon said ""we have a brand new main stage called the Woods Stage, a nod to the leafy outskirts of our amazing site at Larmer Tree Gardens". So it sounds like the stage is not necassarily "in" the woods. It could be that we're reading too much into the name.

I bet they're having great fun reading all these threads and looking at our guesses!

Yep, lots of clashes, but not going to get too fashed about it, as who I go to see will mostly depend on what mood I'm in at the time. The late-night unopposed White Denim slot is my pick of the schedule (although that means it will probably be quite busy), but I'm surprised the Fall aren't in the Big Top, and Bob Log isn't quite the same on a big outdooor stage either.

As to Newsomegate, I am very surprised that there is no opposition, especially as there is an additional main stage this year (though arguably there are still only four stages as the Local is not a separate venue this year). It's always been the case that you could leave at the end of a main stage set and still see a good chunk of the last Big Top act (The Hold Steady to Archie Bronson Outfit being a memorable case in point), so I can only assume the lack of opposition is contractual. Think I'll be hitting the real ale festival on Sunday night, or hanging around the Tipi or Piano Stage hoping for a secret set. :)

For all of those worried about the UnopposedJoannaNewsomeSituation - I don't know if it's a contractual thing, or if something hasn't been announced, but I would imagine that *something* will be on :huh:

eg Tipi or Piano stage (in fact, *anyone* can turn up at the Piano stage and play - like the bloke doing Beirut covers last year - he wasn't anything to do with EOTR, just a punter) :)

..... and there's always jenga..... :)

I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself for those 2hrs or so. I'm sure I'll be happy at the end of a fantastic weekend, I'll hardly be complaining that they've not provided enough entertainment for me! Some of my happiest times at festivals have just been wandering around, chatting to random people, doing random things..... quite nice to have a bit of time to do that....

*I think I have said a lot of this before :rolleyes::D

just wanted to add thanks for the clashguides. i'd only just about got mine down on paper by the time you guys had worked up full working guides. TA!

anyhow, my clashes, and their resolutions:

tuneyards vs found - tuneyards unless rainy

joan as policewoman vs health - joan wins

health vs sam amidon vs lykke li - probably the end of health, given that i can virtually do that attached to the real ale bar

treefight vs allo darlin - :( but probably treefight and then hope for an allo darlin late set

phosphorescent vs twin shadow - matt in the sun of course, then listen to a bit of twin shadow with cider

wildbeasts vs nathaniel rateliff vs m. ward - to use ben's quote f***ity f***ity f***ity f***, i'll leave this one up to the tried and tested alcohol induced influencing process

emmy vs lanterns on the lake - probably lanterns, to allow a quicker walk round to megafaun afterwards

leisure society vs kurt vile - the garden starts earlier, so i'll go there and only come away if it rains or i'm not in the mood

looks like every problem solved!

Right, I'm back and calmer, though only a little.

You are correct of course, Geoff, though OR will win I think and I could watch 20 minutes of the mighty 'Gwai, before racing to OR and cheekily worming my way down the front!

Now, I haven't looked at all the stuff on the thread since the announcements but...

I'VE MADE A CLASHFINDER!!!!

And, without being too immodest, I think it's pretty cool!

So, how on earth do I put it up so people can get to it? Or is it a case of you pm-ing me and me emailing it?

It's a pdf and rather pretty!

Ben

x

Edited by bennyhana22

Cool, thanks ElGanzo - I've used Mediafire MANY times, but only to receive files ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?u7rcl3pdpsrmv85

Hopefully the link above will give you my Clashfinder. Thoughts and any corrections very welcome. It only comprises the four stages of music from opening, up until the last live set (i.e. I haven't included DJ's)

Apologies that it repeats the title etc on subsequent pages - I wasn't clever enough to avoid this. If you like it, obviously just print out Page 1

Ben

Ah.

So I've NOW read through the thread and seen the three other clash finders. I feel a little humble now...

In my defence, I did make mine from SCRATCH and the others, whilst perhaps putting mine to shame, do look as if they've been made from a pre-existing (or dare I say it web-based) template!

Anyhoo, use mine of you want...I won't be upset to see NO-ONE with a copy of mine at EOTR. Honest. No really... :(

However, having done all that, now I need to:

1. Micro-scrutinise my clashes and work out the total sprinting yards required

2. Get busy checking out lots more bands to create the early-part-of-the day aspects of my EOTR

My other observation at this stage is that I am slightly disappointed that my newly beloved Other Lives are 'only' playing the Tipi. Don't get me wrong, I like the Tipi, but I just saw them as a bit of a revelation find to many in the Big Top. Oh and that FOUND vs. tUnE-yArDs clash is a right bugger...

Ben

I tend to prefer the PDFs to clashfinders so thanks! Though I always wait til the last minute to decide, as there's inevitably some changes to the timetable the closer we get to September. Plus the cinema tent has yet to announce its schedule! I'm hoping they put on The Illusionist as one of the customary morning animated films...

You're very welcome!

I will keep an (obsessional!) eye on the schedule as we approach the festival and will update and 'reissue' my clash finder right up to the eleventh hour, so anyone who does find it useful can have as accurate as possible a version.

I loved the cinema tent last time I was at EOTR (09) so am also hoping that LWL come up with a corking programme.

Ben

Anyone already worked out who they're going to see? I think mine will be a little like this:

Friday:

The Growlers

Caitlin Rose

Micah P Hinson

Drum Eyes/Best Coast (seen Best Coast live before and they were really bad but I'm willing to give them another chance)

Found

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Sam Amidon

The Walkmen

Beirut

White Denim

Saturday:

The Deadly Syndrome (not sure how much I'll enjoy them but I'm going with the EOTR forum masses)

Treefight For Sunlight (great show last weekend at Truck)

Timber Timbre

Diagrams

Phosphorescent

Gruff Rhys

Wooden Shjips

M. Ward

Mogwai

This will be six incredible hours of music

Sunday:

Lightning Dust

Megafaun

45 mins of Willy Mason

Woods

45 mins of Tinariwen

Kurt Vile

45 mins of Josh T. Pearson (or the whole hour if his set is as life changing as I imagine it will be)

Midlake

John Grant (outstanding at Truck but will probably be even better at EOTR if he'll have Midlake behind him))

Joanna

This day is my favourite musically but the slight clashes are annoying!

Ah.

So I've NOW read through the thread and seen the three other clash finders. I feel a little humble now...

In my defence, I did make mine from SCRATCH and the others, whilst perhaps putting mine to shame, do look as if they've been made from a pre-existing (or dare I say it web-based) template!

Anyhoo, use mine of you want...I won't be upset to see NO-ONE with a copy of mine at EOTR. Honest. No really... :(

However, having done all that, now I need to:

1. Micro-scrutinise my clashes and work out the total sprinting yards required

2. Get busy checking out lots more bands to create the early-part-of-the day aspects of my EOTR

My other observation at this stage is that I am slightly disappointed that my newly beloved Other Lives are 'only' playing the Tipi. Don't get me wrong, I like the Tipi, but I just saw them as a bit of a revelation find to many in the Big Top. Oh and that FOUND vs. tUnE-yArDs clash is a right bugger...

Ben

Briefly! I watched some kitsch comedy when I was a little worse for wear, then half of Let The Right One In (blooming fabulous) before watching one of sets of the weekend, the one that began my love affair with Willy Vlautin and Richmond Fontaine...

Ben