Using someone elses ticket

Guest sping

I'm using my friends ticket to get in to glasto this year, as didnt manage to get one on the re-sale. Me and her dont really look alike but there are similarities. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me? I'm really worried about being turned away, as ive been going to this festival all my life! Thanks ^_^

Take some of her ID along. 4 years ago I got together with my girlfrend after tickets had sold out and a friend of ours broke her ankle a few weeks before the fest, so my girlfriend used her ticket. Did not have a problem.

Think they are primarily interested in stopping touting, so I would guess they are more interested in monitoring Ebay etc.

Indeed, valid ID should err in your favour. Although, you say 'some similarities'? I had the chance of using my sister's details to ensure a ticket this year, thought about it and the fact that we have different eye colour swayed me against it.

Lets's face it: they're not expertly trained in facial recognition. However, my registration photo is a nice full-face on to camera shot, with shoulder-length hair. Turning up for the festival last year, in the steaming heat, on the Friday (very few people queuing to get in) I was wearing my hair up and with a wrap-around hair-band and huge sunglasses; nothing like my photo, but then, you wouldn't would you. I was asked to take my sunglasses off while they studied my face (assuring themselves I was the Facebook stunner of the photo, I'm sure). This swayed me against using my sister's ID. I'm unlucky like that.

As others have suggested in similar threads: Ensure you enter in the busiest time of all, with the biggest queues, minimising any entry gates entanglements.

Have a good read of the other threads about concerns about doing this.

My personal experience was I had to use someone else's ticket last year, I was lucky in that we both had long brown hair and were female. I put lots of glittery make up and a face painting of a butterfly on and there was no issue at first check. I DID run into a quite suitable ticket scrutinise sitation at a later time when I went back to the car a day later which had me quite freaked out.

I personally would say risk it BUT I have a feeling the ticket checking is going to be a lot more stringent this year as lots of people did get through last year. Good luck.

Guys,

- Checks get tougher every year. You will probably be asked to remove sunnies / hats, so don't think that you can get through that easily.

- You get checked every time you enter the site (including reentries). So you run the risk every time.

- Mendip is really hot on this activity, and use "mystery shoppers" to test gate staff. As the gate staff know they are likely to be tested, they take the job seriously.

- If you do decide to chance it, please recognise that there's a risk you won't be let in. Please also recognise that this anxiety will gnaw away at you until the day you arrive at the festival. Get a ticket in the resale if you can.

- Don't risk using touts. There is a plethora of security features on tickets and wristbands, many of which are not obvious / expensive to reproduce and therefore missing from fakes. Tickets and wristbands are checked for these security measures. You won't get in and will find your wallet much lighter for the privilege.

Edited by posthuman

Last year the woman didnt even look at my photo or for that matter didnt even look at my face, tbh I looked nothing like my photo last year as have been registered for quite a few years and since I first registered my face and hair has def changed since the photo was taken. My advice is choose a busy gate as they are gonna be in a rush to get people through as quickly as possible and with more speed comes less thorough checks. Also even if you do get turned away which imo is highly unlikley you probably dont need to even bother going to another date, just lose yourself in the crowd and keep a low profile and then try again after a bit of time and try to go to a different person checking tickets, as they have lots at each gate. If you think about it the amount of people that go past them, they are not going to remember everyone, I for one know that as I work in a v busy bar and I dont remember half the faces when people come up to me and say 'same again' as if theyre expecting me to remember and the gate staff will be dealing with a lot more customers than I ever will in a night.

Long and short of it you'll be fine, if not try and try again and eventually you will get through.

Guys,

- Checks get tougher every year. You will probably be asked to remove sunnies / hats, so don't think that you can get through that easily.

- You get checked every time you enter the site (including reentries). So you run the risk every time.

- Mendip is really hot on this activity, and use "mystery shoppers" to test gate staff. As the gate staff know they are likely to be tested, they take the job seriously.

- If you do decide to chance it, please recognise that there's a risk you won't be let in. Please also recognise that this anxiety will gnaw away at you until the day you arrive at the festival. Get a ticket in the resale if you can.

- Don't risk using touts. There is a plethora of security features on tickets and wristbands, many of which are not obvious / expensive to reproduce and therefore missing from fakes. Tickets and wristbands are checked for these security measures. You won't get in and will find your wallet much lighter for the privilege.

Edited by ml1984

Thanks for the input there mate.

Who are Mendip though? im guessing from the tone of your post, they are the guys on the turnstiles aye?

yea my mate got through last year on someone elses ticket, who was very dark skinned and had a large beard in comparison to my mates pale face and short black hair and unbearded face. they did ask him to take off his sunglasses alrite, but didnt pay much attention to his ticket and let him through.

How do you know they use mystery shoppers? and how do you know theyre getting tougher?

Im not being picky at your post, but your's claims the most against using someones elses ticket with actual facts, ie Mendip etc.........so it would be very helpful if we knew more.

cheers

Edited by tigger123

Thanks for the input there mate.

Who are Mendip though? im guessing from the tone of your post, they are the guys on the turnstiles aye?

yea my mate got through last year on someone elses ticket, who was very dark skinned and had a large beard in comparison to my mates pale face and short black hair and unbearded face. they did ask him to take off his sunglasses alrite, but didnt pay much attention to his ticket and let him through.

How do you know they use mystery shoppers? and how do you know theyre getting tougher?

Im not being picky at your post, but your's claims the most against using someones elses ticket with actual facts, ie Mendip etc.........so it would be very helpful if we knew more.

cheers

Edited by DeadAmos

Mendip = Mendip district council, they are the people who give the festival its licence to go ahead

I am stewarding for Oxfam this year, (these are the people on the gates checking tickets) and have just attended there training

On the training course we were informed that we would be audited this year, this means tickets and photos will be checked

very stringently and secondary photo ID asked for if there is any doubt

Sorry not what you want to hear

Edit Fat finger typos

Guessing by the fact that 1. their facts seem pretty convincing and 2. he/she's been a member on this forums since just after they were set up to me suggests he/she's an employee of either glasto or of the turnstyle people, as it would make perfect sense if festivals had people as members on this forum 1. to see what people really think and 2. to put people off things like this (getting in on someone else's ticket) and also to help tighten their security as they can guess at what to expect from the punters by what is said on these forums. So yeah, I think we should probably take their advice as sound advice but all that said, you've def still got a good chance of getting through on someone else's ticket, as no system is completely water tight

Edited by posthuman

I wouldn't even try getting in on someone else's ticket it spoils it for all us actual ticket holders plus it holds up any que's of people trying to get in, if you try getting in on someone elses ticket people will try copying you and then we will have everyone doing it and eventually Mendip district council may close the festival down, IM NOT SAYING THEY WILL OR ARE CLOSING IT DOWN.

imagine if an extra few thousand people tried what you plan to do, it jepordises health and Safety.

No ticket best advice (stay at home watch it on the BBC)

I wouldn't even try getting in on someone else's ticket it spoils it for all us actual ticket holders plus it holds up any que's of people trying to get in, if you try getting in on someone elses ticket people will try copying you and then we will have everyone doing it and eventually Mendip district council may close the festival down, IM NOT SAYING THEY WILL OR ARE CLOSING IT DOWN.

imagine if an extra few thousand people tried what you plan to do, it jepordises health and Safety.

• 11 years later...