next headliner announced on tuessday

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not that bothered about more rocking bands specifically. I just want a few bands that are a little bit more innovative. Whilst the likes of James Yorkston and Joan As Policewoman are great songwriters, they're not exactly groundbreaking and for me, there's nothing that really sets them apart from other artists within their genres. Beirut, Megafaun and Woods tick all the boxes in terms of having a really distinct, original sound, but I think we need more bands like this on the line-up (*hint* Menomena *hint*) :P

I have now decided that I am 100% certain that Dan Mangan will play this year. Looks like he's European festivals in August and I'm pretty sure that Rocemm, who posts here occasionally and helps out with the festival, would insist on him playing.

I am incredibly happy about this because he's amazing.

There are a couple of facebook groups

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/SXSC-Down-Home-Down-Here/265628293631

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=5007038563&v=info

Which are useful if you're on facebook, and also a Google groups mailing list

http://groups.google.com/group/sxsc?hl=en

which is also good, but means signing up to google groups. The google one is better as they send out info on forthcoming gigs before they are advertised through the normal places.

Almost all SXSC gigs are at the Railway Inn in winchester (although they have done them at other places). I've seen Elliot brood, Shearwater, the sadies, richmond fontaine, emily barker, the phantom band, danny & the champions of the world plus many others there over the last 2 years or so.

If you don't know the Railway, it's a nice small pub with a back room for live bands, and an upstairs room where they tend to do acoustic and folky/blusey stuff. Good selection of ale there too.

And it's right next to winchester railway station too which is handy.

As Tuesday is also the 23 year anniversary of meeting my beautiful girl, it is inconceivable ("why do you keep using that word? I don't think you know what it means...") that the headliner will be anything other than totally FANTASTIC for me!

Ben

Bloody Health! I'm trying to concentrate at work, but continuously remembering that tomorrow is announcement day! This is SO much more exciting than the big festivals' announcements - they're all the bloody same. I saw the Rock Werchter line-up today and you could substitute their livery for so many others', give or take. Not a million miles away from Glastonbury etc. With smaller events like the beloved EoTR there's genuine anticipation as the line-up is not pretty much pre-determined by whoever's peddling the latest record,or are ubiquitous on a circuit whose events vary little, other than the predominant accent heard in the crowd!

Three cheers for smug 'oh-I-don't-go-to-identikit-commercial-sponsor-fests-because-I'm-FAR-cooler-than-that' types, like ME!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Anyway, back on topic....

Had a chat to the girlie on the Decemberists' merch stall on Fri at Vicar Street, Dublin - excellent gig btw - asked her if they were doing EOTR and she said not as far as she was aware, which either means they're not the second headliner (although, who knows, maybe they're still to be booked?) or she's very good at bluffing :rolleyes: - let's hope it's the latter :)

Also could highly recommend their support band, Blind Pilot.

Yes, look at us! Vultures circling the carrion-announcement! Listening to The Deadly Syndrome whilst pretending to work and constantly hitting F5. They are rapidly becoming one of my must-sees. I'm taking that as a good omen for the impending news.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Nice to see it's not just me constantly hitting refresh! I am trying to work this morning at home, but have twitter, facebook, email and EOTR website open and my wife waiting hopefully at work for some news. PJ Harvey or The National would make our day, along with Papercuts. I have found valid reasons why all three may play, but I know my thinking is very biased. The excitement......

Nice to see it's not just me constantly hitting refresh! I am trying to work this morning at home, but have twitter, facebook, email and EOTR website open and my wife waiting hopefully at work for some news. PJ Harvey or The National would make our day, along with Papercuts. I have found valid reasons why all three may play, but I know my thinking is very biased. The excitement......