Paolo Nutini Headlining Sunday Night!

Guest muffins

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that Nutini would have been more of a afternoon act myself but that was because I went to Oxegen for the day and he was third on the bill for that on Sunday night. Judging from last years line up a tradition of two dance acts and one rock act has been broken, but Nutini is really, really good at getting a good atmosphere going. I didnt like him before but when my mate played me that Sunny Side Up record I took to it big time, some sunshine reggae vibes and good soul stuff. As a few others said there will be alternative stages to go to. Dont underestimate his pulling power though he sold out of three large concert halls in Ireland inside 40 minutes and like Paul says he has a huge following in the North.

I thought that Nutini would have been more of a afternoon act myself but that was because I went to Oxegen for the day and he was third on the bill for that on Sunday night. Judging from last years line up a tradition of two dance acts and one rock act has been broken, but Nutini is really, really good at getting a good atmosphere going. I didnt like him before but when my mate played me that Sunny Side Up record I took to it big time, some sunshine reggae vibes and good soul stuff. As a few others said there will be alternative stages to go to. Dont underestimate his pulling power though he sold out of three large concert halls in Ireland inside 40 minutes and like Paul says he has a huge following in the North.

I think people expect too much from Rockness at times. Remember a lot of people paid £99 for a ticket for this festival!

Some festivals such as Belladrum, Wickerman and similar sized events are not far off £90 already (if they don't indeed reach that this year. And those are 2 day events with much, much smaller acts.)

If you want 3 huge name acts and the undercard to match, you will pay £170-180 a ticket.. thats the way the festival scene is just now.

Yes they are TITP acts, but Jim pointed out to me today that pretty much every act ever booked for Rockness has been a regular or played TITP a couple times in the past.. Biffy, The View, Prodigy, Placebo etc (The only exception is Blondie!) Fair enough they have some DJ's that might not fit that, but who's to say TITP don't go book them this year!

He also takes on board that the unique electonic acts like Leftfield, Orbital, Daft Punk, Underworld are always wanted by Rockness punters.. but they can't keep repeating acts also.. it's a no win situation as you seen by the reaction that FBS was booked again.

He's went for something different, give it a chance :)

Anyway, this might put of the scummier side of Kasabians fans attending ;)

Not a regular Rockness goer, but this seems like a wierd booking to close this festival. If he does sell tickets then I suppose it's job done, the regular Rockness goers might be treated to something special in the Clash tent. I suppose time will tell.

But when there were rumours about PN, I realy couldn't see him headlining, but I was wrong.

Listen Paolo Nutini is a decent live act and he will definitely get the crowd into his performance.

But the fact he is HEADLINING is terrible, and closing the whole festival is simply poor booking.

IMO he should have had Vampire Weekend's position, getting the crowd warmed up for the main headliner.

No matter how anyone might try and sugar coat it, the fact he is headlining is not good.

At least there will be something better on while he is on, SHM, Underworld, Deadmau5...........Ted's band from Scrubs??

Edited by adustlandfairytale

Don't know what all the Fuss is about to be honest, I personally think it's a good booking (supposed to be good atmosphere at his gigs).

Is it not the case although he is being classed a headliner usually they anounce another act that is a headliner as well, i think everyone should calm there jets as it's only the first three of many acts to be announced.

It's the same every year people complaning (usually the same ones), but i bet there will be no complaints when it comes to the Monday morning after the Festival apart from the sore head's & limbs and having to carry all your shit back to the car.

Roll on the Rockmessy!!

People have their own opinions/thoughts (and rightly so) on acts announced, rumoured and programming. What I would say is that it is more embarrassing reading a lot of comments from some people about why they think the festival should pander to them and only book acts they want, and then repeating that again and again!

you wouldn't be defending this so much if it was any other festival. are you trying to get a job with jim? sorry paul, but some of your posts regarding this are just embarrassing with all the arse kissing..

my feelings over this have nothing to do with personal music taste, i don't think paolo's that bad, he's just not right to headline rockness. as far as i know, the only festival he's headlined is loopallu which really can't be compared to rockness in terms of size. i think it's too big a jump to go from playing third top on the main stage at T last year, to headlining a medium sized festival on the last night.

even although im away and cant go to rockness, i was thinking earlier today that, if i could go, i would just get a day ticket and hop up for chemichal brothers, but then i thought back to a weekend at the end of june this year when i went up, wanting to see one band more than any (the strokes) but had the weekend of my life and to be frank, the strokes were just a small part of an absolutley fantastic weekend and that if i could go, id want to go for the full rockness experience! i couldnt bear going up, getting a drink or two, jamming to the chems and then having to walk past the arcadia in full swing while i went looking for a taxi / bus, its breaking my heart just thinking about the fact that i am going to miss it! so to all who are bemoaning the announcement, keep the faith - it would take alot for rockness to stop being what it is - f**king awesome

even although im away and cant go to rockness, i was thinking earlier today that, if i could go, i would just get a day ticket and hop up for chemichal brothers, but then i thought back to a weekend at the end of june this year when i went up, wanting to see one band more than any (the strokes) but had the weekend of my life and to be frank, the strokes were just a small part of an absolutley fantastic weekend and that if i could go, id want to go for the full rockness experience! i couldnt bear going up, getting a drink or two, jamming to the chems and then having to walk past the arcadia in full swing while i went looking for a taxi / bus, its breaking my heart just thinking about the fact that i am going to miss it! so to all who are bemoaning the announcement, keep the faith - it would take alot for rockness to stop being what it is - f**king awesome