singles thread

ampersand

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing I thought when I read that article, about 'how it should be done' and guys then going all defensive, 'do you think maybe we could maybe get together some day some time only if it's OK with you and if you don't take offence that I'm not asking too directly/not being pushy/etc.' was that women must be being really awkward and hard to please these days, if men can't just say, 'I like you, I'd like to get to know you better, when's a good time to meet?'

I got the feeling that men just can't win, they're either too pushy or too casual.

Surely, if you like someone, you're just glad they asked?

What I find is men are expected to be alpha male and senstive lover at the same time especially if you're 25-35 right now. I blame Twillight where they see senstive monsters and girls want one of their own!

I had moments like that as a teenage, thank fuck I got over that kind of stuff.

This is exactly what is covered really well in this article:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/07/07/the-myth-of-the-alpha-male/

It's not about being alpha as such, rather about being confident and caring.

IMO I have met too many girls who want to be taken/submissive to not believe girls don't want an "alpha".

I'd argue that alpha males no longer exist in humans. Well, they do, but females don't necessarily want them. In the animal kingdom an alpha male is the biggest and strongest, the one who can fight to protect, the one with the biggest balls.

A lot of human females are kind of turned off by all that crap. They might like the look of a big strong man still, but if he's a douchebag that initial attraction often dwindles.

Don't get me wrong some women like it, but there's the issue. Some women like big muscles, some women like an intelligent mind, some women like rich and successful men, some women want a man that makes them laugh, some women want a man they can dominate etc etc. And even more confusing is that sometimes one woman wants all of those things in one big package (and yes, that pun IS intended).

I would hate to be playing the singles game again. It was hard enough a decade ago!

• 1 month later...

That feel when you're talking to someone for a while, you start to like them and then you find out they are a hardcore christian

oh no

I went out for a balti one evening with a couple of friends as we hadn't seen each other in really quite a while. As we were talking our relationships (or in my case none relationship) cropped up. Both expressed surprise that I was single. I then happened to mention that I had a dinner date the following week with a devout Christian. The lady in our group then declared ' A Christian? My God you'll be shagging by the time the second course arrives!'.

If you want to know what happened - the second course arrived without incident.

• 3 months later...

Saw a girl I've thought is cute for years over the xmas break out in my local nightclub. She used to go out with a guy i worked with but told me she isn't anymore, we chatted a little and i felt it warranted adding her on FB the next day.

I did so and we basically chatted online all day, the following day the same and it was getting more and more flirtatious.

Single nearly 4 years i figured i was at least heading towards a date and asked her out. She seemed up for it but would let me know when she had some free time (i asked her out like 2 days before xmas)

I thought that was fair enough, we chatted xmas night on FB and then i didn't hear from her for a while and figured she'd just used the xmas thing as an excuse. Then out of the blue one night she contacts me on FB again and we chat for a while again.

Then a few more days of silence, i decided to leave it till after new year but drunkenly just aftet midnight i send her an FB message wishing her happy New Year. She replies and asks what I'm doing to celebrate. We chat for about 20 mins and i think "screw it" and ask her out again. She says "let's see what the new year brings"

then my drunken mind get all sad and i say "sorry I'm being pushy"

Tragic! Not heard from her since.

So that makes it 4 in a year where i couldn't even get a date.

Duno what I'm doing wrong really.

Edited by III

• 9 months later...