Comic Books

Wooderson

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like the superhero/comic movie craze is moving to TV now, they got Gotham, Daraedevil, Luke Cage, Peggy Carter and Constantine* coming too following on from the success of Walking Dead, Smallville, Arrow and Shield.

*EDIT* a Flash and The Defenders show is in the works too.

Edited by jump

Have you seen what the Americans made her do? Gibson would never have let her do it!

Mind you perhaps they should do a Durham Red movie.

Wasn't Gibson the one selling the naked pics of her? Appparently the print wasn't even of Halo and he just added her name onto it afterwards to make sure it sells.

• 7 months later...

Bringing this back. Just read Outcast, Kirkman of Walking Dead fames new comic, pretty decent. I look forward to checking the rest of it out.

Also anyone read The Returning? 4 part comic, first 3 are out now, not bad, kinda losing its touch as its gone along, all the time im reading it im like I can totally see this becoming a movie.

Bringing this back. Just read Outcast, Kirkman of Walking Dead fames new comic, pretty decent. I look forward to checking the rest of it out.

Also anyone read The Returning? 4 part comic, first 3 are out now, not bad, kinda losing its touch as its gone along, all the time im reading it im like I can totally see this becoming a movie.

Is Returning the zombie one?

Southern Bastards has been very good so far, well worth a read, the art and colours are suitably powerful and bombastic to match the script and subject matter.

The first issue of The Wicked and The Devine from Keiron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (of Phonogram fame) was really good, McKelvie really gets to let loose on drawing some beautiful young pop stars. It was very surprising for me to read a Gillen and McKelvie comics with absolutely no overt references to real world bands or songs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished reading part 1 & 2 of a Glasgow independent comic called Rapid Gazzer it was described to me as if Flash Gordon was a ned/chav. I got took in straight away and thought the art was pretty good got a real simplistic colouring to it which i really like and the humour is really good too! I'm looking forward to the next 3 parts they should be decent.

I was gonna wait for the new Sandman to be collected but with it being delayed constantly I've given up on that and started reading the first few issues and it's actually disappointing, not bad but it doesn't meet the high standards of my memory of Sandman which was probably always going to be the case anyway.

• 4 months later...

The covers have been gorgeous for all of Multiversity, not seen the interiors yet, but I'll pick it up when it's collected. My mileage varies greatly where Morrisson is concerned, but I have faith in Frank Quitley, he wouldn't even know how to being drawing something that wasn't gorgeous. If you haven't seen the episode of the BBC TV series "What Do Artists Do All Day?" that focuses on him then I would certainly recommend that. Typing this has reminded me of the hardcover of We3 that's been sat gathering dust for a few years, I should probably read that, stat.

I bought the #0 issue of Sandman when that came out, then decided to wait for the hardback, it's looking increasingly doubtful that will happen in my lifetime.

Punk Rock Jesus finally got a hardcover collection last week, so I instantly picked that up. I loved this series in singles, and this is "director's cut" edition so hopefully the narrative structure is a little more balanced and some of ropey dialogue is fixed. Sean Murphy's art is always fantastic, though, there's just no arguing with it.

Anybody in the market for a real mindfuck this yuletide season would do well to pick up the hardcovers (which are beautifully bound and presented) of Mind MGMT written and illustrated by Matt Kindt and published by Dark Horse. I don't think I've ever seen an American monthly that exploits the comic format to its advantage so well, the art is wonderfully inventive and utterly beautiful, the story is engrossing as well as being a total mindfuck. There's a cast of characters that you just want to spend time with because of how well fleshed out they are and how they interact with each other. All the books are infinitely re-readable because of how dense they are, there's so much going on that you're doing yourself a disservice to just read them once. This is truly exceptional series, it's been my favourite for two years running, buy it!

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

• 3 months later...

Was cheesed off that Chew never made it to TV series as planned, but I'm fascinated to see what happens with Sex Criminals.

I don't think Chew would work as a TV series, they'd have to make a lot of changes to it, and I don't think anybody would really have the balls to do that, I see it as something that could only work in comics. I haven't read any Sex Criminals yet, but I've been completely hooked on Satellite Sam, which is a similar (well, from what I can gather it's similar) Matt Fraction project, set in the earliest days of television. If Matt Fraction is involved in the development of Sex Criminals, it could end up being really really good, Satellite Sam is a good indication of his understanding of TV.

• 2 weeks later...

They just released the hardcover for Sex Criminals. Dustjacket and cover-proper are really fucking clever. I love(d) Fraction's Hawkeye stuff... But anything else he did with Marvel was vile. So surprised with Sex Criminals. It has genuine heart in the characterisation, the antithesis of his pisspoor run on Uncanny.