there are still some nice poeple about

Guest ghandi

There are a lot of stories about people and what they did or should have done and all negative so far. So i intend to blow my own trumpet :P

We arrived on site in two cars, the four people i went with all live in Northants, i live in London. We all met in London and drove down to the site. On departure they were all going straight back to Northants, leaving me to travel to London on my own. Just as we approached the road just off site i noticed a car had broken gown. The cue of cars led me to have to stop alongside said car when a girl tapped on my window and asked me whether or not i was traveling to London. Her two friends car had blown a fan belt and the car had overheated. They had to stay with the car but she needed to get to London sooner and asked if she could travel with me in my spare front seat to which i agreed. She turned out to be a rather sweet girl who had been working on site and had been patying hard all night on her day off. We had a great conversation about music and the festival. Now i would never ever promote a young girl getting into any strangers car, its just wrong, i'm not a dodgy type, but she didn't not that, anyway i dropped her in London on my way through, i just thought it was the spirit of the fest to help her out. :D

You sure it wasn't her trumpet you wanted to blow Ghandi? No, I'm sure that was very nice of you.

A very sweet lady saw my youngest kid find 10p on the ground, and as she picked it up the lady threw a pound coin down and said "that's better than 10p isn't it?" We bought a brownie with it from the bakery, as it was the last night and all cakes were a quid - bonus!

Also props to our neighbours in Cockmill for lending us their can opener multiple times - thanks!

I will admit she was quite pretty although not stunning but never the less i am happily married thank you :D

Also when we were putting up out 9 man tent with loads of pegs using our metal meat basher , which broke! the gut in the next tent kindly lent us his big rubber mallet. Thanks Sir!

I had problem with my trolley of booze/ stove etc which resulted in everything falling everywhere! A lovely man came up, helped me build it back up and gave me his brown tape! Thank u sir!

So a young attractive girl approaches you and asks for a lift in your empty seat to where you are going anyway, giving you some company on a long boring drive??!! I may nominate you for an OBE!!!! ;)

For the record, I mean this entirely tongue in cheek, you obviously have done a good thing, good on you :)

While we are on the subject of good deeds. I found a rucksack on the floor at the Other Stage just after Florence and the Machine. It had a wallet and ticket in it (didn't check what else), so I knew the owner could be identified, so handed it in to the nearest info point. Didn't even take any money from the wallet!

Ok maybe I don't deserve a medal either, not being a theiving git is not necessarily a good deed, just decent behaviour. But I was proud of myself too!

I found a camera by the toilets at the stone circle, it was a lovely one as well and mine is broken... ;)

BUT I took it back to my tent and handed it in to info to give to lost property, I hope the owner got it back as I did look through the pics and they were ace, a real record of their Glasto journey, loading the car, driving to the fest, unloading, tent pitching...you name it. :)

The naughty part of me was tempted to keep it, I must admit, but I could never take away people's memories like that.

I found a camera by the toilets at the stone circle, it was a lovely one as well and mine is broken... ;)

BUT I took it back to my tent and handed it in to info to give to lost property, I hope the owner got it back as I did look through the pics and they were ace, a real record of their Glasto journey, loading the car, driving to the fest, unloading, tent pitching...you name it. :)

The naughty part of me was tempted to keep it, I must admit, but I could never take away people's memories like that.

lots of negativity ?

I took my 11 year old this year for the first time and he often commented that everybody was soooo friendly. Every stall holder asked you how your festival was going - everybody had a smile on their faces - didnt see any negativity all weekend

Came back from Arcadia/Shangri-la with 4 others from my camp...rather errr high on mdma :ph34r: around 5am Friday night/Saturday morning.

My mate was desperate for a spliff, but didn't have any weed, so whilst waiting for our mates at the toilets by the meeting point he shouted out "has anyone got a spliff they can sell me?"

Suddenly out of the mist a guy comes out of nowhere, says nothing and just opens his bag of weed and hands a load over to my mate"

My mate tries to give him some money but the guy refuses and walks away having not said a word to any us.

:)

I use my old pay as you go phone purely as a camera these days and as an emergency back up, well I've absoultley no idea how but I lost it Sat night sometime at the end or after George Clinton at West Holts, I was very inebrieted to say the least but remembered I had my current contract phone on me, so I phoned my camera phone, and some decent dude had picked it up and after briefly nattering found that he was standing about 20 feet from him in Arcadia result phone returned within 2 mins of me realising I'd lost it. Felt rather guilty then as I was so relieved at having my phone back with all my piccies (about 300 old and new) that I'd forgotton to offer the fella a cheeky drink or 2. So thank you again and sorry for just giving you one of my big bear hugs. You shall have some good karma back somehow I'm sure.

Though saying that I had already helped out a damsel in distress with a flat battery the day before by using my mobile power pack.

Glasto spirit is still out there like no other.

As soon as I arrived on site a friend bombed over and grabbed the worst of our luggage (which we'd been shuffling through a slow queue with for 3 1/2 hours), insisting on carrying it wherever we were going, then announced that his dad had arranged for us to camp in the green crew area in undleground. From that point on, blown away by their kindness towards my daughter and I, I attempted to perform as many random acts of kindness as I could also, it is something that the festival is all about, something I see all around me every year and something that I have been the recipient of myself this year, not least cheesey, our neighbour, who drove us out to bristol (meaning all we had to do was load our gear straight into the back of a parked car by the tent and get out by temple meads. Man is a legend.

One of my mates gave all her leftover booze (around 12 cans ofpear cider) to some nearby campers when we left, they were very grateful!

I remember in 2004 we were very nice, some insane winds picked up and started pulling people's tents out of the ground. We all dashed over and pegged it back in for them! Same year, at the start of Gonga's set some guy asked me for 3 rizlas, i happily obliged him. At the end of their set he came over and gave me about 3 joints worth of awesome skunk, I was so impressed!

I met a really nice guy in his 50s just before dead weather who let me toke on his joint of some really nice tasting hash+weed. Thank you, nice man, if you're here!

Also, I lost my phone, but called it, and a steward had picked it up, and we met up and he gave it to me :)

I left sunday night, got back to the car and was greated with a flat battery. I phone tesco's breakdown and got though all the details but they had not heard of the festival and couldnt find worthy farm, pilton or the a39. They asked for a postcode, i didnt have one. They said i was using to much time and was cut off becuase they have more vulnerable customers to attend to.

I run over to a passing AA Patrolman, he offerd to jump it for me, took 2 mins. I gave him all the money i had (about £5) and a left over box of westons.

Saved sooo much time, and i have a nice letter to send to tesco's tomorrow.

My mum needed to bring all of my booze down from the Myhabs to Pennard gate, but it was too much to carry, so a steward agreed to drive it all down for us in a golf buggy. Then, it was so much that I had to make two trips, more stewards looked after a crate or two for me while I was gone, so I gave them a beer each for their troubles :)

I also found a phone in Pennard camp site, managed to get in touch with her mum before the battery ran out, going to send it off to her this week.

Then very early on Monday morning, after not sleeping at all and running around the park in a bit of a daze, I found a full crate of beer somewhere in the rabbit hole. I was so drunk that I handed them out to everyone I met, felt like a bit of a robin hood character, gave me an amazing feeling inside :)

saturday night i was given some yummy donuts by a lovely couple and a 2lt bottle of cider from a fab lady that we camped with. i was given so many smiles from strangers, and my fella got a hug from a troll. alice and alice kindly asked me (in front of a few hundred people) if i'd had a good bowel movement - they were very pleased that i had.

and if you lost your camera at beans on toast amazing greenpeace gig it was handed in at the nearest info stall.

Edited by Greenish

Threads telling of strangers going out of their way to help you = nice warm feeling all round. The 60s aren't dead yet.

Threads telling of (fairly mundane) things you've done for others = "if you're that proud of this one act that you have to tell the world, what are you like normally?"

On Thursday night, there was a girl crying outside of my tent with her boyfriend holding her. I could hear her really upset but didn't want to go over in case I was intruding. Anyway, I could hear them talking about how her purse was lost/stolen and her boyfriend went off to look. I couldn't just stand there so I found a spare headtorch went over to her and said that I had heard she lost her purse and maybe this might help to find her.

I thought that was nice but she didn't really seem to grateful. :unsure: Maybe it was just a bad time.

Then at Wild Beasts we were in the second row when th crowd shifted and a space on the bar became available. Instead of taking it I offered it to two girls behind me who had never seen the band before whereas I had.

Mind you, I didn't have very many acts of kindness shown towards me personally. No offence but I find the English people a lot more forthright when they are in crowds. I was literally grabbed and moved when people wanted to pass me. Maybe that was minority though and I suppose as an irish family, we didn't interact with others as much as we could have.

Although there was one lad at Phoenix who moved to let me sit by my sister which was lovely so we offered him some water.