BoomTOwn FaiR

Guest Town Mayor

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My review, as posted over on the Urban75 festivals subforum. I had a great time generally but with some reservations also.

Had no idea about the tent robbing! Real shame ...

We had a fine time overall in a stunning setting, and the weather was less horrid -- just annoying at times -- on Fri and Sat than I'd feared, and Sunday and Monday morning were lovely.

Loads of fun to be had and we had it, we saw plenty of excellent music and sights.

Good to spend time with several Urban friends as well :)

I particularlarly liked the excellent, informative and cheap programme, and fine/tasty choice of food.

The 'Downtown'/Arcadia part of the site was very impressive. The Devil Kicks Dancehall tent we liked liked liked ...

Got more trashed than we'd intended on Friday and especially ;) Saturday .... and we missed most of Toots unfortunately :(

Also DJ Derek's set which we'd been looking forward to a lot, we slept through and missed altogether ... ours/the fine cider's/our general trashedness's fault sure, but still ...

But Pronghorn and the Beat and the ITs we ripped it up to ... and quite a few other smaller/less expected acts.

To dilute the overall positivity a tad, I have one or two particular moans.

1. Toilets 'need work' ... :hmm:

(subsequent moans all booze related, ahem, but quite important and not just for us, I think, too)

2. There really really is no necessity for the draconian limits to the personal-booze rule.

Also, the wording of it in the email that ticketholders received, and on the website, did NOT make it clear that you had to bring what booze you were allowed, onto the site on first run and only then -- if you'd been unaware/foolish enough to leave the beer in the car on first run, you could not officially bring it in after you'd been wristbanded. This really, really should have been made clearer.

3. And in any case, to repeat, that rule did NOT need to be so strict and limited IMO -- as stated above. And not, for us, based on unwillingness to spend money, either, see 4 ..

4. The choice of cider and perry available at the main and secondary bars was truly truly wonderful, and to the cider/perry wing of CAMRA, more than fantastic .... but it would not have been at all difficult** to complement that with a selection of ales.

**especially to organisers based in the city of Bristol! ;)

5. As we'd been led to expect beforehand.

What happened to the 'Main Stage Bar' and Cider Apple Bar thing -- why were the two merged so late -- even on the map in the programme, the 'Main Stage Bar' (the general/ale one?), was still listed ....

ETA next morning : actually I maybe can understand why merging the two bars into one central one might have been necessary/unavoidable, but such a shame this had to happen at the cost of any ale choice!

ANYWAY, those moans/gripes are secondary to the fact that in general, we enjoyed the fest a lot. For that, thankyou very much indeed to the organisers.

(But can the above objections be thought about properly by the organisers for next year, please? Ta!)

Edited by William of Walworth

• 2 weeks later...

AAs it was our (5 lads – late 20s) first Boomtown and I know the organisers read this forum, I just wanted to give our feedback. Hopefully it’ll prove to be useful, but it’ll probably just ending up sounding like a big pat on the back for the hard working organisers.

Thought this festival was absolutely wicked, and will definitely be back next year with more mates. Music pretty much all good, main stage setup absolutely spot on (high hats etc out of back speakers – love it). Enjoyed pretty much all the headliners, and thought having the main stage open on the Saturday rather than Friday was actually a really good move. Toots to finished the festival was really cool.

Excellent stuff going off round the other stages – too many excellent bands to mention, but mixture of dub, ska, djs and bands, reggae just spot on.

All the mad quirky stuff going on all the time, the weddings in the church, the unride-able bikes (or were they ride-able? not sure), the remote controlled horse, the dance-off area was hilarious, the amount of classic DnB scattered around the place, the range of stuff going on behind the doors of the streets.

Sign me up for next year please. Only thing that would have kept one or two happy within the group would be the inclusion of one or two real ales scattered around the site next time – although we found the bars to be pretty good always for getting served quickly. Toilets not great, but hardly worth crying about. good food around the site too - those guys at the pizza stall seemed to always crack me up.

Don’t change it too much, and roll on next year.

AAs it was our (5 lads – late 20s) first Boomtown and I know the organisers read this forum, I just wanted to give our feedback. Hopefully it’ll prove to be useful, but it’ll probably just ending up sounding like a big pat on the back for the hard working organisers.

Thought this festival was absolutely wicked, and will definitely be back next year with more mates. Music pretty much all good, main stage setup absolutely spot on (high hats etc out of back speakers – love it). Enjoyed pretty much all the headliners, and thought having the main stage open on the Saturday rather than Friday was actually a really good move. Toots to finished the festival was really cool.

Excellent stuff going off round the other stages – too many excellent bands to mention, but mixture of dub, ska, djs and bands, reggae just spot on.

All the mad quirky stuff going on all the time, the weddings in the church, the unride-able bikes (or were they ride-able? not sure), the remote controlled horse, the dance-off area was hilarious, the amount of classic DnB scattered around the place, the range of stuff going on behind the doors of the streets.

Sign me up for next year please. Only thing that would have kept one or two happy within the group would be the inclusion of one or two real ales scattered around the site next time – although we found the bars to be pretty good always for getting served quickly. Toilets not great, but hardly worth crying about. good food around the site too - those guys at the pizza stall seemed to always crack me up.

Don’t change it too much, and roll on next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...