efests iphone app

Guest LMD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem is getting the Iphone battery to last 5 days!

Despite my best efforts of turning off 3G etc, it was useless by Day 2 of the Festival and even when I did have battery, the signal was so poor I couldnt confirm if Michael Jackson really had gone to the big Glasto in the sky :P

Apps may be out of date once proper browsing is enabled on phones (although as someone pointed out there are some apps, e.g. MyO2, TfL and Twitter ones which are actually better than browsing the respective websites on a computer) but there is a lot of money to be made in the meantime.

I'm going to go with Apple and Google on this one.

Apps may be out of date once proper browsing is enabled on phones (although as someone pointed out there are some apps, e.g. MyO2, TfL and Twitter ones which are actually better than browsing the respective websites on a computer) but there is a lot of money to be made in the meantime.

I'm going to go with Apple and Google on this one.

:P - but that "lot of money to be made in the meantime" is mostly being made by Apple and Google, and not the people creating apps. There's few people that have made decent dosh out of their apps, and this site very definitely won't.

It ultimately comes down to this simple fact: the vast majority of people who use this website would not pay to use this website. All the while that remains the case i will NOT be wasting money on creating an app.

The biggest problem is getting the Iphone battery to last 5 days!

Despite my best efforts of turning off 3G etc, it was useless by Day 2 of the Festival and even when I did have battery, the signal was so poor I couldnt confirm if Michael Jackson really had gone to the big Glasto in the sky :P

I do think you'll find that mobile sites will eventually decrease internet browsing, as before when you would log on your computer to check emails/ebay then continue doing other browsing, but all email/facebook/twatter/ebay etc etc are checked on the go by people on their mobiles, so for a lot of people will be logging on to use the normal internet less than before.

Only those who don't care about having less-good sources of information, which is of course a contradiction with why they'd access the net for information in the first place.

WAP was a similarly cut-down view of the net (yes, I realise it was worse in other ways too), which could have taken off if it served people's information needs - but it didn't, because it wasn't the full internet. I'm confident the same will apply around apps (even tho they're a better solution than WAP was).

The only trouble is, while screen resolution will continue to improve and rise, screen size is still limited by what's practical to handle - so unless you want to look like Dom Joly on the train, phones will always remain the poor relation to computers when it comes to web browsing.

:P - but that "lot of money to be made in the meantime" is mostly being made by Apple and Google, and not the people creating apps. There's few people that have made decent dosh out of their apps, and this site very definitely won't.

It ultimately comes down to this simple fact: the vast majority of people who use this website would not pay to use this website. All the while that remains the case i will NOT be wasting money on creating an app.

Apps *are* created as a workaround because phones can't currently handle to net well. If they did it well already they'd be no need to create cut-down versions - worse versions - of the same things that are on the net already.

I would love to be able to use my iphone to have a quick look at this forum (only) , the way that I have a quick look at Facebook. I find the forum too small to view on my iphone. Since getting it I dont go on my laptop anywhere as near enough as I used to and this is one of the sites which I dont visit as much, even though I love it!

The technology is there now for a mobile phone to browse the web and use all the software including flash dhtml and jarva. But of course the phone makers choose what the phone OS can recognise and load of the net.

Anyways... only 105 days to go :P