My theory

Guest frankie boy

As i understand the situation with Metallica is that they signed a one year UK exclusive to Soni and a 3 year exclusive for any new Soni festivals. For example they shouldn't announce any more festivals this year in Poland as this is a new Soni and the festival has them on an exclusive.

I can't see how this would work they signed a three year exclusive for the rest of Europe but only one year for the UK?

Or that they signed a three year exclusive to any new territory Sonisphere went into for only that year?

Which means they can in 2010 play for other booking agents in The Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Sweden, and Finland

Then next year 2011 (year three of the contract) they play new Sonisphere's and for other people at Poland, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Greece, Romania, and Turkey.

Admittedly Poland starts the week after Download but it seems a strange contract to have been agreed.

It seems weird to me that Sonisphere is globally the only festival they have announced - all the rest around the world are stadium dates - this would to me look like it was a festival exclusive deal - one that looks more likely with Sonisphere booking all the acts they have announced on exclusives.

Edited by metalman

I think Metallica will do Download. I think metalman is correct in that Metallica have agreed to play a Sonsiphere festival whenever a new one starts for 3 years (so Poland as an excvlusive this year etc). I think this leaves them free for Download. Of coruse i'm just speculating, but it's speculation based on all the info I keep seeing about,

• 1 month later...

I really really hope they dont do download. I'm sick to f**k of Metallica. And I was a mental fan since '86. they are just wheeled out as "the obligatory headliners" time after time. I actually left the main stage after 5 tracks at soni last year - I just thought, Ive seen this so many times before.

I really really hope they dont do download. I'm sick to f**k of Metallica. And I was a mental fan since '86. they are just wheeled out as "the obligatory headliners" time after time. I actually left the main stage after 5 tracks at soni last year - I just thought, Ive seen this so many times before.

Metallica need to go away and come back in 2012. It is getting really boring seeing them top of a festival bill now. People seem to think because they haven't played for a few years that they should automatically play. For their hardcore fans I am sure it is great, but their appeal to the casual fans (like me) is waning seeing them so much.

Would be suprised contractually to see them play. They have been promoted by Kilimanjaro which is run by the ex Download organiser, and there is bad blood between the two. Kili also do Sonisphere (funded by AEG) so would be strange for them to allow them to play Download.

I know it doesn't make sense for them to play a rival festival, having invested in sonisphere and still being in contractual obligations with them. But where else in the UK are they going to play this year?

this may sound crazy. But what if the contract they signed with sonisphere meant they couldnt headline any othe english festival for 3 years.....but they could still player other festivals. And if they said Friday on their website the day Ac/Dc also stated....whats to say they wont Sub to AC/DC? think about it they would probably actually love to play sub to AC/DC on the 30th anniversary of Monsters Of Rock at Donnington as a one-off......the 30th Anniversary is not gona come around again, i reckon theyd be up for it

Edited by r0w

this may sound crazy. But what if the contract they signed with sonisphere meant they couldnt headline any othe english festival for 3 years.....but they could still player other festivals. And if they said Friday on their website the day Ac/Dc also stated....whats to say they wont Sub to AC/DC? think about it they would probably actually love to play sub to AC/DC on the 30th anniversary of Monsters Of Rock at Donnington as a one-off......the 30th Anniversary is not gona come around again, i reckon theyd be up for it