The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

ah yes, the brilliant Rush. Muse are a great power trio, but they're no Rush.

i'd have a night of drinks with any of U2 despite people's envious backlash against them. Adam Clayton might be bottom of the list of the 4, he seems a bit less caring than the rest of them, but the other 3 i'd gladly spend time with and surely enjoy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've met all 4 of them in a 'non-stalkerish just happened to be in the right place at the right time' sort of way. All seemed very approachable and Bono actually struck me as the most humble of the 4 of them and Adam the most chatty.

Its apparently 'cool' to think Bono is a w*nker. Fair enough - he's done some pretty stupid stuff through the years but personally... I admire someone who has used his celebrity status like currency as he has done. All the 'well he should donate some of his millions' quips are just ignorance. In reality, none of us really know exactly what goes on behind the scenes... The finances of U2 and Principal Management must be one of the most closely guarded secrets in the industry

Personally , Adam would be my favourite , likes a smoke , and to be caught having one whilst in his

Aston Martin , did make me laugh years back. I do not know him but he seems to just keep his

head down below the parapet so to speak and keep quiet, do his thing and leave the politics etc

to someone else. Also how it got into the band by blustering his way in is absolute quality !

:P

Any band that can afford to sit on a beach for the rest of their lives , but chose to play

Don Vally , Sheffield !

deserve some credit , the place is a dump !

I can just imagine the conversation

"Bono as your manager I am proud to inform you that your 20 bedroom vlla on Mustique is ready

for your retirement ! "

"No ! - I must go to Yorkshire and play Sheffield - Its my calling ! "

Anyone who is too w*nkered to make their own show and have to have their guitar tech take their place for them is a legend! :P

I really like Adam! For some reason I pretty much always end up on his side of the stage whenever I go see them - he always is just so smiley and seems to be having a great time

a few thoughts on this...

- U2 records like "War" "Joshua Tree" "Unforgettable Fire" were great in that they were beginning to end great records. i basically love every track on those albums. Boy and October are great records, and have some of the band's best moments but they're a young band there and there might be one or two tracks that i skip over these days ('The Ocean'...bleh). Side 2 of Joshua Tree is just pure bliss for me. one of the best f'in album sides ever. these days i often find myself just putting it on and starting of at track 6.

7. "In God's Country"

8. "Trip Through Your Wires"

9. "One Tree Hill"

= best bit of the album!

Love Is Blindness?!?!?!?!? Couldnt disagree with you more on that score.

I know someone on this forum who will give you serious lip about slaggin' "Ultraviolet" aswell. (

Have I totally misunderstood you there or did you just say you skip over "In A Little While" ?

agreed with the trifecta on Josh Tree...i just think Red Hill Mining Town, and Bono's emotions kicking into gear towards the end of that track leads perfectly into In God's Country... the trifecta then kicks back down into a perfect finale with Exit and MothersJos

yep, looks like i have a trifecta of ur faves that don't do much for me. in addition to those moments on Achtung that i dont get into, 'stuck in a moment', 'little while', 'when i look at the world' just don't do it for me on that record. perhaps i'm a bit harsh in picking little while, when i don't mind it as much as 'stuck'

I think All That You Can't Leave Behind, bar Elevation is an absolutely brilliant album. Have some fond memories of that being played when I was younger.

If they play 'Stay' and 'Bad' then that night will be one of the best nights of my life, just because they're two of my absolute favourite songs and I've never had the opportunity to see a band I really really like live yet.

Great post - I agree "Leave Behind" is a top album! "Stay" sounded just perfect in the recent shows - would be spine tingling on the Pyramid.

Btw - you are gonna have one heck of an experience at Glasto - never seen a band you really like before?!? I'd be pretty confident that's about to change. Try and get up the front though. Hehe

I think All That You Can't Leave Behind, bar Elevation is an absolutely brilliant album. Have some fond memories of that being played when I was younger.

If they play 'Stay' and 'Bad' then that night will be one of the best nights of my life, just because they're two of my absolute favourite songs and I've never had the opportunity to see a band I really really like live yet.

Hope they stick with bowies space oddity as a intro? Ive just tweeted Emily to see off they will get increased production such as a ring walkway? Unlikely but it would be interesting how bono and Dave manage to do their stuff otherwise? Bono will live in the pit al la springsteen is my guess

In terms of "great lost U2 tracks" I always thought "Wire" would be the one I'd wanna hear above all others.

Nallo reminded me of this bewilderingly cool CHOON on Friday night:

At around the 4 minute mark this becomes impossibly amazing.

Hard to believe that they're from this dull grey city. :P:P

Much as I'd love "One Tree Hill" or "Wire" to be played at Glasters to make it spesh - this kinda eclipses them both. A masterpiece. Haters better recognise.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY

WE'RE NOT WORTHY

WE'RE NOT WORTHY

As my boy Tugger has said - what a fücking band.

Edited by Wooderson

In terms of "great lost U2 tracks" I always thought "Wire" would be the one I'd wanna hear above all others.

Nallo reminded me of this bewilderingly cool CHOON on Friday night:

At around the 4 minute mark this becomes impossibly amazing.

Hard to believe that they're from this dull grey city. :P:P

Much as I'd love "One Tree Hill" or "Wire" to be played at Glasters to make it spesh - this kinda eclipses them both. A masterpiece. Haters better recognise.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY

WE'RE NOT WORTHY

WE'RE NOT WORTHY

As my boy Tugger has said - what a fücking band.