The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is getting pretty close. About 90% of what we'll get, with a different running order and maybe three or four songs different. Switch a few of these out for New Years Day, Pride and Bad at least.

And on With or Without You and Pride - both are songs that I think U2 fans are well and truly sick of, but casuals at U2 concerts want/expect to see. So they 'must' play them, even though I think the band are pretty bored with them too, hence Bono often not putting the effort in. He cruises With or Without You especially, and has done for nearly 20 years. But for their better or bigger gigs, he does still belt both of them. So not so much a case of him not being able to, more a case of it being temperament depending. And it's f**king Glastonbury. He'll belt them both. You'll get your 'shine like stars' ending too.

There are only a few songs he can't really pull off anymore. Lemon is one, which is a shame. Fantastic live.

05/15/2011 Azteca Stadium - Mexico City, Mexico

Even Better Than The Real Thing, New Year's Day, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, Until The End Of The World, All I Want Is You, Love Rescue Me, Pride (In The Name Of Love), Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet), Miss Sarajevo, Zooropa, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Please (snippet), Sunday Bloody Sunday, Scarlet, Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

encores: One, Where The Streets Have No Name, Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, With Or Without You, Moment of Surrender

comment: All I Want Is You and Love Rescue Me are both performed for just the third time on the 360° Tour - and in the case of Love Rescue Me, this is just its third performance since 10 January 1990.

05/15/2011 Azteca Stadium - Mexico City, Mexico

Even Better Than The Real Thing, New Year's Day, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, Until The End Of The World, All I Want Is You, Love Rescue Me, Pride (In The Name Of Love), Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet), Miss Sarajevo, Zooropa, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Please (snippet), Sunday Bloody Sunday, Scarlet, Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

encores: One, Where The Streets Have No Name, Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, With Or Without You, Moment of Surrender

comment: All I Want Is You and Love Rescue Me are both performed for just the third time on the 360° Tour - and in the case of Love Rescue Me, this is just its third performance since 10 January 1990.

Edited by the_hedge

Neither. Just an assumption. His voice has actually changed quite a lot over the past 10 or so years. Still really strong, but a different tone, and that falsetto seems to be a victim of that change. With any old falsetto parts of songs, these days he either sings them differently, or very quietly/weakly, and even then barely seems to 'get there'. And that distinctive/strong falsetto 'fat black lady' voice he used to bust out a lot in the 90s, he hasn't gone anywhere near in over a decade, and that's Lemon end to end.

And someone in one of the U2 threads here was questioning how much of their set will be shown on TV. I really don't think they'd have any beef with the BBC getting a U2 gig for 'free', if that's why some thought there wouldn't be much of their set. If anything were to limit it, it would be that they're creative control freaks. For them to 'trust' someone else with sound/image is what is very, very rare. But they've got a very good relationship with the BBC (historically perhaps too good), and seem to completely 'get' what this set and the festival mean, both to those there and the, obviously, massive fanbase who will desperately want to see it. And the broadcast is always very high quality, shot very well, great sound etc. Doubt it will be a full set, but I would think it will be a very decent chunk of it.

And someone in one of the U2 threads here was questioning how much of their set will be shown on TV. I really don't think they'd have any beef with the BBC getting a U2 gig for 'free', if that's why some thought there wouldn't be much of their set. If anything were to limit it, it would be that they're creative control freaks. For them to 'trust' someone else with sound/image is what is very, very rare. But they've got a very good relationship with the BBC (historically perhaps too good), and seem to completely 'get' what this set and the festival mean, both to those there and the, obviously, massive fanbase who will desperately want to see it. And the broadcast is always very high quality, shot very well, great sound etc. Doubt it will be a full set, but I would think it will be a very decent chunk of it.

I still think he can pull off the falsetto mate. Lemon was only ever played like a dozen times on the Zoomerang tour. I thought the vocals on the 3 "360" shows I saw were the highlight of the gig. Falsetto in the "Unforgettable Fire" is a slippery eel to pin down. Bono showed ample lung power in "Ultraviolet" night after night aswell.

I think he can prolly sing anything as a one-off still... but he doesnt have faith in his throat to giving it the beans on stuff like Pride (for example)... he hasnt done the "name" in the chorus of Pride similar to the record in 20 years.

Going back years the live broadcast and the lack of control U2 would have over it (pre and post) was the main reason for their lack of co-operation with GF on an appearance. I havent got the link to hand but Im confident this was a huge issue for the band in previous years/tours.

There was defo a few cases over the years when U2 didnt want to do glastonbury because they wouldnt be in control of their own sound and a few other things.

I really cannot see the biggest band in the world that take massive pride in their live sound and shows letting anyone be in control of it. I just cannot see it , U2 will be in control of most things even if it means paying fines for sound barriers etc etc.

This is a big deal for U2 , there building it up themselves as a massive deal. No line on the Horzion flopped badly in the uk [but did good everywhere else] the singles flopped even more for once in their careers U2 arent relevent as far as uk chart/radio music goes. There out of their comfort zone for the first time since the ealry 80's by performing infront of a festival crowd and not a u2 one. They have to perform and there isnt another band out there that can rise to the occasion like U2 can.

I think the 360 tour set up is a challenge , its an amazing stage but the band have to work well with it , which they did the same with popamrt and zoo tv they were all challenges within there own rights.

But as far as playing to a non u2 crowd id say never apart from when they were staring out!

Not only are u2 the biggest band in the world there also the most hated. Which is what makes this so big

Its going to be an intresting gig to say the least.

You never know, after this U2 may question why they haven't done more festivals, I'm sure the warmth that they will get back from the crowd at Glastonbury will beat anything they get at Wembley or the Millenium Stadium.

I gave their latest album another listen last night, well the songs that seem to be likely to be played (magnificent, moment of surrender, i'll go crazy..., get on your boots) and aside from boots, which is genuinely one of the worst songs I have on my ipod, the others arent THAT bad. Moment and i'll go crazy are actually rather pleasant I thought.

I dont think the inclusion of these songs will kill the gig. Though boots will come close to doing so! Thankfully it seems as though they get it out the way early.

As for the crowd, it will be massive and ecstatic. No doubt about it.

There'll be, obviously, three types of people in the crowd.

- Hardcore U2 fan, absolutely ecstatic to be there, and the energy they give off will be amazing. Bono just has to get up there and fart and this portion of the crowd will go ape (and it will be, no doubt, a very large portion of the crowd - that U2 would be there was the worst kept secret ever).

- Casually like U2 or a bunch of their songs, maybe own a Greatest Hits or something, but just more excited about a potentially great Glastonbury moment. Really, no other 'current' band has a back catalogue quite like this. You've had your beers (or whatever) and you just want to sing along to big songs with the big crowd. And if they want, U2 can pound out 20+ of these that you all know, and you all probably know at least the chorus to, and with many, you'll probably surprise yourself by knowing a lot more than just the chorus. These people are ready to jump right in, and if U2 perform to their regular every-night standard (which is very high) they'll easily knock it out of the park with this bunch. But if U2 take it to another level for this bunch, this is where it tips over to one of the all-time great sets.

- "Alright U2, prove it." These aren't the haters. I think for the most part, the hardcore Bono/U2 haters will just stay away. But these are the cynics/skeptics. Either skeptical about U2's reputation, or skeptical about their ability to pull something like this off, cynical about U2's size and reputation, doubt they're really worthy of either. But not a pure hater... still with a bit of an open or flexible mind, interested to see if there's anything behind the hype. This is where the real challenge is, really, and its something I think they absolutely understand and they'll really be going for it with this portion of the crowd in mind. So if there's a sense afterwards that U2 'won over' those going in with this mindset, then its safe to say that they have had a blinder.

My guess is the performance will be amazing. U2 do lift. They have the songs, and they are a 'big occasion' band. If they nail the setlist and everything goes right (tough schedule, would be tragic if Bono's voice is shot or something - it happens) it really could be something very special.

I would imagine a crowd of 70 odd thousnad of die hard fans who've paid to see U2 specifically, would be at least as enthusiastic as a field of similar number of fans, half of whom are there out of curiosity.

I don't think there's much of a chance of it going 'badly' for them. It's not like they're going to turn up and play lousy renditions of unknown b-sides. They'll turn up and put a 110% effort into blasting out the hits, and as long as nothing outside of their immediate control goes wrong, that's going to be immense. The only thing, I think, is that the hype/expectation might get so huge that it's just impossible to reach and satisfy.

This is my PREDICTION for Glastonbury..The core of recent gigs with a few more big hits plus Glastonbury

Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet) (Odds fav at Paddy Power)

I Will Follow

Even Better Than The Real Thing

New Year's Day

Get On Your Boots

Magnificent

Glastonbury

Mysterious Ways

Elevation

Until The End Of The World

All I Want Is You

When Love Comes to Town (with BB King)

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Stuck In A Moment

The Fly

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque + Please(snippets)

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Bad

Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

encores:

One

Where The Streets Have No Name

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

With Or Without You