if you could raise anyone from the grave

Guest russycarps

My first reation was either Rick Wright or Jimi Hendrix, but once I saw Freddie Mercury as a suggestion I knew that would be my choice. Didn't get into Queen until too late. Saw them last year with Paul Rodgers - one of the best gigs of the year but you know Freddie would blow that out of the water.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory Gallagher.

Without doubt the "best" guitarist I have seenlive.

Not the fastest, or loudest, or diddlydiddlycleverclever.....just the best.

And, like many here, I've seen a lot of guitar players over the years, including pretty much all the "names"

Rory put them all to shame - a real player.

In no particulat order.......... and assuming all band members alive and kicking

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band; Joy Division; The Doors; INXS; The Clash; Jimi Hendrix; The Band; Queen; The Beatles ( but would happily see George Harrison on his own!! ); The Ramones; Elvis; Frank Sinatra; Janis Joplin; Marvin Gaye; Bob Marley......... there are many more!

All introduced by John Peel ofcourse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by doubledutch

Hendrix......Jim Morrison........Janis Joplin........Stevie Ray Vaughn.........Rory Gallagher.......Elvis........Johnny Cash.........Tim Hardin ......Buddy Holly..........Bo Diddly..........Eddie Cochran.......Muddy Waters........John lennon and George Harrison.........Jeff Buckley.... Otis Reading....Sam Cooke...Sandy Denny.....The original Lynrd Skynrd.......Paul Kossof......Frank Zappa.....

Jo Strumer........John Lee Hooker to preform with Van Morrison....Peter Green for an original Feetwood Mac.............Oh i could go on.......but its a bit sad in a way as many of these were deaths to soon.

Edited by YouWhat

Tim Rose. Who? some may ask but one of the most significant people in sixties/seventies music.

He started playing in the Greenwich Village folk scene with Mama Cass. Introduced her to John Phillips and that led to the Mamas and Papas.

He also came across this brilliant young guitarist called Jimi Hendrix, introduced him to his mate Chas Chandler, who became Hendrix's manager and offered them a song he'd collected and arranged called Hey Joe. The rest of that is history.

Tim Rose also wrote / arranged a several excellent songs including Morning Dew and Come Away Melinda and was a great performer in his own right.

I was lucky enough to see what was his last solo performance, a real emotional tear jerker, and spent quite some time chatting to him afterwards. He was a typical 'folkie' real passion yet great modesty and a lovely, unassuming, guy.

He would be wonderful in the Acoustic Tent.

In no particulat order.......... and assuming all band members alive and kicking

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band; Joy Division; The Doors; INXS; The Clash; Jimi Hendrix; The Band; Queen; The Beatles ( but would happily see George Harrison on his own!! ); The Ramones; Elvis; Frank Sinatra; Janis Joplin; Marvin Gaye; Bob Marley......... there are many more!

All introduced by John Peel ofcourse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!