Does size matter?

Guest John K

Looking at different festivals for next year, and wondering just how big or small they all are. Glastonbury is obviously gargantuan, but what's an average sort of size? 10,000? 20,000?

How many do you need to get a proper festival feel? There seem to be a lot of smaller festivals cropping up, but just how small are they?

Would it be possible to add the ticket numbers to the festivals listing? Just a thought.

Well I'm proud to say that I have one of the smallest ones you can find! :D It's not the size it's what you do with it! :huh:

We were still able to fit in four stages and a great range of music/dance/workshops/stalls/food/bars. Everyone who came said they had felt totally entertained, looked after and part of a community.

I think you should be asking if some of the large events have the "proper festival feel", filthy camp sites, terrible beer, queuing for everything, not being able to see the acts properly on a stage miles away is that the sort of thing you meant? ;)

Well I'm proud to say that I have one of the smallest ones you can find! :O It's not the size it's what you do with it! :O

We were still able to fit in four stages and a great range of music/dance/workshops/stalls/food/bars. Everyone who came said they had felt totally entertained, looked after and part of a community.

I think you should be asking if some of the large events have the "proper festival feel", filthy camp sites, terrible beer, queuing for everything, not being able to see the acts properly on a stage miles away is that the sort of thing you meant? :)

Everyone is different I guess.

In the past couple of years my favourite festies have been Bearded Theory#1 and Alchemy both of which had 500 people there. Superb atmosphere :O

I agree with you comments about the litter problem. Some people have no respect for themselves or others around them :) When we left Alchemy on Monday the campsite was spotless :O

In the past couple of years my favourite festies have been Bearded Theory#1 and Alchemy both of which had 500 people there. Superb atmosphere :O

I agree with you comments about the litter problem. Some people have no respect for themselves or others around them :) When we left Alchemy on Monday the campsite was spotless :O

I agree with you comments about the litter problem. Some people have no respect for themselves or others around them :O When we left Alchemy on Monday the campsite was spotless :)

It is what you do with the size that counts. I didn't queue once at Glastonbury, had brilliant beer and cider and a generally nice time. I went to a smaller one later in the summer and was bored at times by the entertainment, had to queue etc.

Some people want huge, others want small and the rest don't give a monkeys as its more about the particular event.

For me its the particular event. I'd have to be paid top dollar to got the likes of Reading. I prefer the smaller ones, but unless you know what you're doing, they can become quickly boring.

At Endorse it a few years ago , I was speaking to the frontman of one of the bands who collared me and said how much he loved the festival. I asked him why and his reply was..

"I dont drink or do drugs, so I get bored easily at festivals. At Endorse it there is always something going on that is worth going to see - I'm never bored"

I'd venture it's horses for courses. Returning to Glastonbury after a 25 year gap I was quite horrified to see what it has become - a venue for stag party types (which is fine for those that want that, no argument there). It was fantastic on Wednesday and Thursday wandering round and chilling out, but by Saturday night it was more like a Hanley - not my thing at all (though again, no problem with people who want that). The obsession with who is headlining and such probably says a lot......

Like the OP, having now revisited Glastonbury, I felt I wanted something a bit more back to basics, I looked around and stumbled across Bearded Theory. It seems, not having been yet, to be what I would like - people having fun, not really caring who's on etc. I'll find out in May!

I'm not saying other festivals are good or bad, I don't know, but Bearded Theory looks like it's all just a bit of fun.

Just my 2p.

Interesting replies, thanks. I hadn't heard of Blissfields, but it sounds like one to add to next year's list - it's quite local for me too which is a bonus. How small is it?

Is Alchemy really only 500? Looking at the listings Bearded Theory was 500 capacity in 2008 then "slightly increased" (!) to 1500 this year. Can you really have a festival with only 500 people? Isn't that a fete?

Edited by John K

Interesting replies, thanks. I hadn't heard of Blissfields, but it sounds like one to add to next year's list - it's quite local for me too which is a bonus. How small is it?

Is Alchemy really only 500? Looking at the listings Bearded Theory was 500 capacity in 2008 then "slightly increased" (!) to 1500 this year. Can you really have a festival with only 500 people? Isn't that a fete?

Looking at different festivals for next year, and wondering just how big or small they all are. Glastonbury is obviously gargantuan, but what's an average sort of size? 10,000? 20,000?

How many do you need to get a proper festival feel? There seem to be a lot of smaller festivals cropping up, but just how small are they?

Would it be possible to add the ticket numbers to the festivals listing? Just a thought.

Absolutely spot on, on the Monday of alchemy, everyone left our little campervan field spotless, just a wee pile of tied up litterbags and nothing else, really refreshing after some I have been to this summer!!

Edited by BT Rich