Ticket Prices

Guest radioshed

Why did they rise this year?

Last year they rose by alot (£20ish) to cover the fuel costs of the previous year, allowing more money to be given to charity. This year however, there has been no explaination of the £10 increase. I was hoping the price may have stayed the same, as i doubt the festivals cost will be more this year than last, unless they are expanding again (which you would have thought they would have mentioned). So with the extra cash do they hope to spend more money on bands, or give more to charity or what? I'd like to know what i'm paying for (I'm still happy to pay it ofcourse). I also realise that Glastonbury still represents good value against other large festivals, as it is a 5 day event.

Edited by radioshed

Last year they rose by alot (£20ish) to cover the fuel costs of the previous year, allowing more money to be given to charity. This year however, there has been no explaination of the £10 increase. I was hoping the price may have stayed the same, as i doubt the festivals cost will be more this year than last, unless they are expanding again (which you would have thought they would have mentioned). So with the extra cash do they hope to spend more money on bands, or give more to charity or what? I'd like to know what i'm paying for (I'm still happy to pay it ofcourse). I also realise that Glastonbury still represents good value against other large festivals, as it is a 5 day event.

in the mix along with other reasons for needing to increase the prices (such as higher infrastructure costs, and lower exchange rate making foreign bands cost far more) is the change back to the normal VAT rate of 17.5%, which will happen on 1st January.

By my own calculations, this has the possibility of costing the festival in excess of £500k in outgoings, dependent on exactly when people buy their tickets and whether they pay in full or use the deposit scheme.

The festival has no way of knowing how buyers will pay until they do pay, so I'd guess they've worked things on the worst case scenario basis, to ensure they've got all the money they're committed to spending.

I'd also guess that, dependent on how people pay for next year's tickets, there could be a surplus after the next festival because of the change in VAT rate and buyers payments working for the festival and not against it. So I guess there's the possibility of a lower increase for 2011, dependent on how things work out around 2010.

As I clamber on to the soap box again... the horrendous clean up operation due to many lazy bastards not clearing up after themselves I feel may have contributed a pound or 2 towards the rise. Fuel has gone through the roof and I reckon Avon & SS police take an inflated cut for security.

Keep cost down. Take your rubbish home!

As I clamber on to the soap box again... the horrendous clean up operation due to many lazy bastards not clearing up after themselves I feel may have contributed a pound or 2 towards the rise. Fuel has gone through the roof and I reckon Avon & SS police take an inflated cut for security.

With regard to changes in VAT mentioned by someone. In 2008 the ticket price was £155 with 17.5% VAT. In 2010 the ticket price will be £185 with 17.5% VAT. How can a VAT increase be blamed for a 19% increase in 2 years?

I didn't say that the VAT rise was solely responsible for price rises for 2010. I simply said the unknown factor (when people will pay for their tickets) around the coming VAT rise will have impacted on prices - that vat rise creates something like a £500k variance on the income the festival might get from ticket sales. If they don't approach this from a safe and sensible direction it could leave the festival £500k short of money when they've settled all their bills after the next festival, and so they'll have probably planned things to ensure that doesn't happen.

Along with vat changes, the change in exchange rates is a big factor too - a 30%(ish) factor! Anything that has has to be paid to people from overseas (such as american acts) is likely to be costing around 30% more than it would have done previously.

The price rise for 2009 will have been based on other factors at that time, not least the fact of 2008 nearly not selling out. The festival had (for want of a better expression) got financially complacent, and its whole finances were previously based on a sell-out - if 2008 hadn't sold out the fest would have made a significant loss. I believe that things were changed for 2009, so that it could still make a profit if it didn't sell out.

And alongside all of the above is the simple fact that it's long been recognised that "festival inflation" runs at a higher rate than inflation in general - as a result of ever increasing regulatory costs amongst other things. I'd guess that as festival organisers have realised that festival inflation is higher, it makes them less worried about passing on prices above inflation.

I'd say the majority of, if not all the people on this forum believe in tidying up after themselves at Glasto. Sadly there are thousands of others who don't, regardless of the amount of times they are asked to do so.

Just feels like you're preaching to the converted on here.

I'm sorry, but if you read back through some previous threads regarding this matter... there are plenty who sadly on efests who think that they are exempt from clearing up their shite and it should be within the cost of the ticket... in fact its expected. If only everybody was converted then I wouldn't keep banging on about it.

I've tried to find those threads too - it was quite disgusting that some folk were literally gloating about how much crap they had left behind.

Wholesale cost of fuel has dropped. What Joe public has pays has risen.

Not true. Diesel was over £1.30 a litre last summer. Now around £1.04. Also that is the pump price, lots of the diesel used on site will be Red Diesel which is not subject to the same tax regime

Whatever happens, the ticket price will rise year on year. However, it is pretty horrendous that in 10 years it has risen by over 100 quid. I still think that it is value for money when you compare it with seeing say one band at Wembley, but if it does rise much further, simply paying for a ticket will be out of the reach of many people.

I didn't say that the VAT rise was solely responsible for price rises for 2010. I simply said the unknown factor (when people will pay for their tickets) around the coming VAT rise will have impacted on prices - that vat rise creates something like a £500k variance on the income the festival might get from ticket sales. If they don't approach this from a safe and sensible direction it could leave the festival £500k short of money when they've settled all their bills after the next festival, and so they'll have probably planned things to ensure that doesn't happen.

Along with vat changes, the change in exchange rates is a big factor too - a 30%(ish) factor! Anything that has has to be paid to people from overseas (such as american acts) is likely to be costing around 30% more than it would have done previously.

The price rise for 2009 will have been based on other factors at that time, not least the fact of 2008 nearly not selling out. The festival had (for want of a better expression) got financially complacent, and its whole finances were previously based on a sell-out - if 2008 hadn't sold out the fest would have made a significant loss. I believe that things were changed for 2009, so that it could still make a profit if it didn't sell out.

And alongside all of the above is the simple fact that it's long been recognised that "festival inflation" runs at a higher rate than inflation in general - as a result of ever increasing regulatory costs amongst other things. I'd guess that as festival organisers have realised that festival inflation is higher, it makes them less worried about passing on prices above inflation.

I normally say the same thing when this topic comes up. So long as Glasto sells out then the price is correct i.e. the demand outstrips supply (the numbe rof tickets at that price).

Traditionally I've felt this wouldn't be an issue and they could get away with charging a fair bit more, 2008 pushed this somewhat. The success of this year's festival makes me think they'll be fine again.

Whether they SHOULD up the price this much and whether they CAN are entirely different.

I always like how ME palms off the responsibility to the 'smart girls in the office' - I'd love to see their working!