Ticket Prices

Guest radioshed

I think the majority of people where expecting the tickets to go up this year i know i was. It has not gone up much but every penny you pay for the ticket goes on something after all Glastonbury is a big festival and it all cost money to run i guess there will be some info later on next year on what the ticket price is going on so hang on in there you will eventually get your answer

I don't think its poor value for money

You get 5 nights camping (most festivals don't)

freebie programme and bag etc (most festivals don't)

take in all the booze you want (not like the arena festivals)

Music, arts, comedy , circus, cinema, debate, crafts, you name it it has it

Multiple Headliners most of whom would charge 55.00 upward for another gig - so seeing three headliners would cover most of the cost - IE I saw Blur, Neil Young, Springsteen - all of whom went off to do london gigs at individually charged prices

What then about the atmosphere... PRICELESS!!!

With regard to exchange rates the pound is currently trading against the dollar at $1.62. This is more or less the same as it was in October 2008. It did drop to a low around January 2009 but has now recovered. On this basis it should cost no more to book US acts now then it did a year ago.

The price you can charge for anything from a pint of beer to a festival ticket is based on a couple of simple factors: a) what it costs you and :O what you can get away with.

You're running a pub that sells beer. If the pint of beer costs you £1 you won't survive if you sell it at 99p - no matter how many pints you sell. Indeed, the more you sell the more you lose.

So, having worked out the minimum price you need to charge to cover costs (taking into account rent, rates, paying the cleaner etc) you can then think about what you can get away with.

If you can charge £5 a pint you're very lucky. But if the pub down the road is charging £3 a pint you'll not do much business - though some people will still use your pub for old times sake or because you look after your beer well.

Glasto, and all festivals, have the difficult juggling job of anticipating their costs - possibly a year ahead. They've then got to judge what they can get away with and that means pricing against the competition.

The competition isn't simply other festivals, it's things like cheap package holidays. For a lot of punters the spending decision comes down to a week in a muddy field, possibly in the rain, or a week away on a beach in the sun.

It's a very difficult call and not one I'd like to make as a couple of per cent out either way can make the difference between a big loss or a decent profit.

The price you can charge for anything from a pint of beer to a festival ticket is based on a couple of simple factors: a) what it costs you and :O what you can get away with.

You're running a pub that sells beer. If the pint of beer costs you £1 you won't survive if you sell it at 99p - no matter how many pints you sell. Indeed, the more you sell the more you lose.

So, having worked out the minimum price you need to charge to cover costs (taking into account rent, rates, paying the cleaner etc) you can then think about what you can get away with.

If you can charge £5 a pint you're very lucky. But if the pub down the road is charging £3 a pint you'll not do much business - though some people will still use your pub for old times sake or because you look after your beer well.

Glasto, and all festivals, have the difficult juggling job of anticipating their costs - possibly a year ahead. They've then got to judge what they can get away with and that means pricing against the competition.

The competition isn't simply other festivals, it's things like cheap package holidays. For a lot of punters the spending decision comes down to a week in a muddy field, possibly in the rain, or a week away on a beach in the sun.

It's a very difficult call and not one I'd like to make as a couple of per cent out either way can make the difference between a big loss or a decent profit.

Good point that with the US dollar.

But £ aint so good compared to the Euro at present. It more or less only 1 Euro dead for £1

But I'm sure the pound was defo much stronger in Oct 2008 than now.

Like £1.30 to £1.40 to the Euro.

So it gonna be more pricey to book some European acts (not that I can name many) LOL!

Glastonbury ticket £185 booking fee £5 car park £15 Locker free Wed - Monday

Leeds Ticket £175 booking fee £7 car park free Locker £15 Friday - Monday £8 less than Glastonbury but if you want to go come on the Thursday add £10 so £2 more expencive than Glastonbury.

The £4.95 postage fee was the same for both festivals.

Whatever - seems a bit more than the £5.00 (I think) I paid in 1979 - if it is the 40th celebrations - just so we can properly join in the fun - can we have 1970's price back just for the one year??

Lol

From Michale Eavis interview on TOS:

Do you need to sell all the tickets?

Bearing in mind we're taking out £2 million for the charities, we've got to sell all of them, yes. And, of course, the costs are always rising. Like the diesel costs went up by about 40% that year, which we hadn't priced for.

The ticket price has gone up slightly this year.

A little bit, I'm afraid. I do try and hold it down, but the girls doing the budgeting are so thorough and so clever, and they said, "Look, the minimum rise we can get away with is ten quid more". It is a shame, because I really wanted to hold the price.

It's never a question of you trying to line your pockets, then? You're not just after a Ferrari or something?

Ha ha! No! Do you know what, I asked the bank for a loan for £100,000 to tart up the farm because of the new farming regulations about not spreading slurry in the winter. That's driven by the European farmers, which is a good move, really. So we had to get a new shed to cover the farmyard, which cost a hundred grand. I phoned up the bank and asked if they'd lend me the money to keep the rain out of the slurry. He phoned back two days later and said, "We'll let you have £70,000". I said, "Don't be so stingy!" So, no, there's no fortune lying around here! But we're employing so many people and giving away so much to charity. We don't really need a fortune as well!

The car park tickets have also gone up, to £15.

That's right. We're trying really hard to get more people to come on public transport. And the car parking costs are actually quite high. We have to rent extra land from surrounding farmers and it's quite disruptive to their farm life, so they're charging me more. So we had to stick another fiver on that, I'm afraid.