World Cup 2010 during Glastonbury 2010

Guest daggermouth

Really a question for people who like football and England fans really. With the football world cup running from June 11th to July 11th there is the possibility of an England match falling during the festival. Now if it fell during the first few days no problem, but if a match were to take place on Friday, Saturday or Sunday and between missing some big bands or watching England in the world cup (possibly quarter finals) what would you choose?? I know its Glasto and is the best place on Earth and only happens once a year but England at a world cup only happens every 4 years (depending if we make it)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure if there was a big game on while the fest was on it'd be shown somewhere on site, cinema field or someplace along them lines. They shown the Euro 2004 game against Portugal on the Pyramid stage on the Thursday night. Absolutely amazing atmosphere, Portugal won though :D.

There is a similar thread to this a few pages down - probably worth bumping. I would be I can't be bothered to search for it... :D

This has to be a good argument (another good argument I should say - i can think of about 1000!) for bringing back the outdoor cinema?

If the match falls on a Saturday or Sunday evening there's no other way to have a reasonably sized viewing area (can't imagine shutting down the Pyramid or other stages for a match).

Defo get rid of the Posh Camping that took up the cinema field last year :) and maybe even have it as a dedicated World Cup Field...........

But, if England get to the Last 16 then there is a 50/50 chance this game will be during Glasto and if this is the case there is no way the old Cinema field would be big enough for that game!!

Only the Other Stage or the Pyramid could cope with the demand.............Game times are 16.00 or 20.30, which will clash all over the Stages...........

Maybe there is a possiblity of having the second half of any England game between 2 acts? An hour is a fair enough gap............But to have the whole match on a main stage would not be right really.....Would it?.....We are celebrating Glastos 40th Bday afterall............as important as the World Cup is.............

Bring back the Cinema field and get rid of the Poshees!! Oh and show all of Ireland's matches in it!! :D

whatever bands are scheduled to play at the same time as any england game will be gutted!

The thing will be if there is a 2nd round or QF game scheduled during fri/sat/sun, the demand to watch it will be massive regardless what other bands are on I reckon.

Glasto organisers really need to look at this once the WC draw is made in december and make provisions for it.

Personally I will probably watch the england game, depending on what bands are on at the same time.

I think there are 3 options for any game on fri/sat/sun:

1. Get rid of the camping in the old outdoor cinema field and have all world cup games there, no matter who is playing on there, as Im sure there will be people interested in watching some other games chilling out in a field.

2. Schedule time on the Pyramid stage for the england game on fri/sat/sun

3. As above but for the Other stage

1. would be the best option I reckon, just feel sorry for whoever ends up playing at the same time as the england game.

This'll be my first Glastonbury. It'll also be the first World Cup where England have genuine reason to think we'll do better than the quarter final. But life goes on.

Every summary of Glasto I've ever heard essentially says "so much to do, so little time... even the weather didn't ruin it", so why would I waste two hours plus knee-deep-mud-affected travelling time watching a football match? I've already seen the greatest game of all time (Watford 3-0 Leeds, 21st May 2006) so it's not as if I'll be missing a big moment of my life.